PDA

View Full Version : car booster seat

judy
6th March 2006, 04:56 AM
Today i got Zack a car booster seat. It's called the Outward Hound Pet Lookout Car Booster Seat. I got it because he's not big enough to see out. Also, it keeps him safer, the company claims, because there's a strap with a clip on it that clips to the loop on the back of his harness (Four Paws http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store.com/shop/index.php?page=shop-flypage-769&ps_session=ce6ac4552a11f83a53166c5d3ea435c2) attaching him to the passenger seat of the car via the booster seat. This is the one i got, same color (black) http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=1390&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=outward%20%20hound&sku=920673&familyID=12262& . Here's a red one: http://store.yahoo.com/pet-guys/-700603006230.html

There is also one with an inflatable bottom which was not available at the store i went to (PetSmart), here it is: http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 9448&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032887&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&bmUID=1141592241153&itemNo=8&In=ALL&N=2032887&Ne=2
The one i got cost about $20.

I really like it, it works. It's for dogs up to 20 pounds. zack is 9 pounds He can curl up in it and sleep if he wants with room to spare, and he can lean toward the window and smell the breeze and look at all the people and dogs and other exciting things on the streets when we drive if he wants. Before i got this, he didn't enjoy driving. Now, on the ride home, he was enjoying it so much, i went for a little pleasure drive by the beach so he could be entertained.

Cathy T
6th March 2006, 04:33 PM
I had one of these for Jake but he outgrew it. He loved it. I liked that he could look out the window if he wanted or curl up and snooze. The drawer in the bottom came in handy too. Unforuntately at 19 and 21 lbs neither of mine will fit anymore :? But now that they are a big girl and boy they do great sitting on the back seat in their seat belts.

Nicki
6th March 2006, 08:39 PM
Rupert and TedBear saying they are going on crash diets 'cos they want one of these too and they're too big :lol:

What a great idea...we currently have a crate sitting on top of the seats so they can see out of the window if they want too :oops:

Did try the seatbelts, but theyboth twirl round and get tangled up in knots. The crate is great 'cos they can get up and move around, also I can leave a bowl attached with a small amount of water in it, so they always have access to a drink.

When we were away, we did about 900 miles over the week, so they do quite a lot of travelling and I like them to be comfortable. We stop about every 1 1/2 to 2 hours for a "comfort break".

TedBear used to be car sick, but we've cured that by giving him 1/4 of a ginger biscuit before we go out - lasts all day and he's never been sick since !!

Moviedust
6th March 2006, 08:59 PM
Cedar has a booster seat too! She loves it! Cedar's a little different, though. It rests on the seat instead of strapping over the back. It is attached to the seatbelt, and then there's the hook that attaches to Cedar's harness.

This particular model also serves as a travel bed (it folds out) and a doggie suitcase!

here's a pic of Cedar catching a snooze in her carseat.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/moviedust/carseat.jpg

Karlin
6th March 2006, 10:45 PM
Wow where did you get that one?

I like all those booster seats. As long as you can still clip the seatbelt harness thorugh it amd thru the dog seatbelt, I'd be happy to get one -- Jaspar LOVES looking out the window.

Karlin
6th March 2006, 10:50 PM
Oooh I found them in the UK; also look, a little backpack if your cavalier is under 15 lbs!! 8)

http://www.ultimateanimals.co.uk/acatalog/dog_rucksacks_pet_car_booster_seat_Outward-Hound.html

Heh they even show a cavalier in one! 8)

judy
7th March 2006, 05:39 AM
cedar's booster seat looks really nice, and cedar looks very cozy in it. what brand is it?

i really like those PetPouch backpack things on that UK site. I found them on ebay.

http://stores.ebay.com/DoggieStyle-Petwear_Carriers-totes-backpacks_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ7QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Moviedust
7th March 2006, 02:04 PM
I got Cedar's seat from Home Depot. It is a Flexi-Mat Pet Stow Away Car Seat &Travel Bed. They had the same thing at a number of online and catalog order dog boutiques and specialty stores, but they were sometimes double the price of Home Depot.

I see the Home Depot price has gone up slightly since I bought Cedar's seat, but you can at least get the information if you're interested. Just go to www.homedepot.com and type in "dog seat" in the search box.

Cathy T
7th March 2006, 03:16 PM
That's pretty cool and a great price!!

judy
7th March 2006, 04:08 PM
I got Cedar's seat from Home Depot. It is a Flexi-Mat Pet Stow Away Car Seat &Travel Bed......

That's very neat. How does it attach to the seat? It looks like the seat belt just goes around the middle of the thing, between those two sections.
It would be a lot easier to attach and unattach than the one i got, it works the way i think. A plus of the one i got is that it folds up completely flat, but i need something that's easy to remove and reinstall.

Moviedust
8th March 2006, 02:44 AM
That's very neat. How does it attach to the seat? It looks like the seat belt just goes around the middle of the thing, between those two sections.
It would be a lot easier to attach and unattach than the one i got, it works the way i think. A plus of the one i got is that it folds up completely flat, but i need something that's easy to remove and reinstall.

The vehicle shoulder seatbelt goes through two straps on the back of the seat. Installation is really quite simple: feed the belt through the straps and buckle the seatbelt. If you dont want it in the car, you just unhook the seatbelt and pull it out of the straps. The booster seat doesnt fold up or anything, but it's light and easy to set aside if need be. Someone on another board has the same booster seat, but she doesnt like the dog being so high up. She takes the seat off of the booster/suitcase. It still works as a carseat and attaches to the vehicle; the dog just isnt raised up as high.

judy
8th March 2006, 04:41 AM
thanks for the clear detailed explanation.

Kingofthehouse86
5th June 2006, 04:37 AM
i got King that same seat but he kinda freaked out when i put him in it....so i returned it...didnt want him to stress everytime we go 4 a ride...so i bought him a car harness http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=3063&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=445&iSubCat=446&iSubSubCat=447&iProductID=3063 this lets him lay down and chill plus...when we go family trips he can lay wit me....

JaneB
5th June 2006, 03:28 PM
I just got the girls a My Buddy Lookout seat. It's designed for two (or more) dogs. I don't have a picture of mine but I bought it on line from JB Wholesale - here's the link:

http://www.jbpet.com/Shopping/product.asp?catalog_name=JBWholesale&product_id=549-0102&category_name=HTOVehAcc

It is fastened in the back seat with the regular seatbelt and sits high enough that the girls can see out. The love it! I did purchase a couple of travel harnesses that fasten on to the bed's strap to keep the kids secure. It also has a small drawer for extra toys and leads. I haven't washed the sherpa cover yet but am hopeful it will hold up just fine.

The only downside to the bed is that it takes up most of my backseat. But maybe that isn't a bad thing. Guess that means it's just me and the girls whenever I hit the road. I suppose that's one way to get rid of backseat drivers. :badgrin:

JaneB

Kingofthehouse86
5th June 2006, 04:53 PM
JaneB

I've seen that seat, but i didnt get it cuz i still thought King would freak, just like the other seat....so I'm stickin wit the harness which he like....its funny if we 4get to put it on...he'll jump into the driver's seat or your lap 2 tell u 2 put it on him... :lol:

judy
5th June 2006, 05:28 PM
Jane--are the dogs strapped into the My Buddy? Does the My Buddy have straps, or did you say you bought those separately? It's a good answer to the problem of having dogs in the front seat with the risk of them being crushed if the air bag opens up, while also preventing them from flying through the car in an accident. After reading what that airbag did to a woman's crate, i hate to think what it could do to a small dog's body. But i haven't come up with a solution yet. Thanks for posting this. i'm going to shop around for one.

JaneB
5th June 2006, 09:25 PM
Judy, My Buddy Lookout comes with two "attachment" straps. You could, I guess, snap them through a collar but I don't think I would do it. I really want to make sure nobody goes flying with a sudden stop. I bought the small sherpa lined car harness that can be used with or without the car seat, they carry the really nice ones at PetSmart. The small will fit both of them for a really long time. I don't know that we will ever need a larger one as they really are quite adjustable. The girls are fine with them and the bed. I used the bed as a doggie bed when I visited my mom's recently. I had placed it in the family room so the girls got used to it before our trip. The only issue I had was that Mom's rescue guy, Harley, wanted to sleep in it and didn't want to share the space. Too funny! ;) The girls were quite put out.

JaneB