• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

eyes and tears

judy

Zack never had tear stains under his eyes the way some cavaliers do, his fur under his eyes was always dry and clean except for a faint pinkish residue. But then he started taking a medication for colitis, sulfasalazine and his eyes started watering within 24 hours of starting it. His vet said to cut back the medication from 3X per day to 2X per day and to put Refresh Gel in his eyes. I had read on the net that this medication can cause problems with tear production. He's been off that medication for two days, i think, two or three, but his eyes are still watering and under his eyes, his fur is all wet. I'm afraid permanent damage was done. Sometimes that can happen. sometimes it's temporary and sometimes it's not reversible.

Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge about how to cure this? Or how to treat it? I've heard that the pinkish stains are from yeast. It would sure make sense after all the antibiotics Zack has had in the past several weeks that he would have an overgrowth of yeast in his body. but i don't know what to do about it. people take Nystatin sometimes to counteract the effects of antibiotics in destroying the yeast killing bacteria.

Yeast is smelly stuff,if so it needs a trip to the vets.Otherwise a little live culture yogurt may help.Lynn

It makes sense that you could get a yeast infection from so many antibiotics. Daisy Boo tears quite a lot and I use cotton wool dampened with warm water and a drop of optrex, then I dry with a fresh piece of cotton wool. I used to have to do this every day (sometimes twice) but in the last couple of weeks Twinkle has been doing it for me - she licks Daisy Boo all over her face and it has really improved the tearing :D

yes, it has some odor. are you saying to feed him yogurt or put it around his eyes, or both?

judy said:
yes, it has some odor. are you saying to feed him yogurt or put it around his eyes, or both?
You'll want to feed him the yogurt and make sure his eyes are kept clean and dry. I recommend using plain yogurt with live cultures...it's good eatin' for humans too! My Chester loves yogurt and it's a real treat for him so it should be very easy to get your baby to eat it either by itself or on his dry food.

Good luck!

Back