• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Isabelle is in heat.....

jennapea

We had her scheduled to get spayed this Friday, but she went into heat over the weekend so I need some advice. I'm sorry, but I have alot of questions........
I have not yet purchased her any doggie diapers. I didn't expect to deal with this once we made the appt. Those of you that have an intact female, do you use the doggy diapers or do you leave your female be "free"? The blood spots so far are very small when she's laying down on the couch or bed.
Also, will the blood start getting heavier as the cycle continues? If not, I can deal with the amount of blood as it is right now.
I thought she was acting funny from getting her rabies shot. However it's been 4 days and she is still not interacting with us too much, seems to prefer her crate except at bedtime. Is she acting this way due to hormones or should I be concerned there is something else wrong? She doesn't seem sick. Just tired and not eating much at all...... :(
I do not have any other dogs, so I DO know to keep my eye on her at all times outside. That is the only thing I feel I know.
The vet made me cancel her spaying and said we can do it 2 weeks after the bleeding has stopped and the area is no longer swollen. It's funny because I mentioned to my husband a couple days before it started how large and hard her nipples were, but he said she's still growing and it makes sense those would grow too. Now I know it was a sign of what was coming.
Sorry for the novel, but I don't know exactly what to do and if her behavior is normal.
Thanks for any advice or answers I can get! :?

Hi kat

Yes she probably will lose a bit more blood, but hard to tell as all bitches vary. Some keep themselves so clean it's hard to tell they are in season at all, others are very messy.

It's common for them to go quiet and be off their food - just think how we feel :cry: at that time.

You could try diapers if she is making a mess - we used baby diapers with a whole cut for the tail, although some learn to get these off. Or babygros {I think you call them all in ones?} or children's pants again with a whole for the tail, and panty liners in them.

2 weeks after the end of the season sounds a bit soon to me - they usually suggest half way between seasons, so nearer two months. Otherwise it can affect their hormone status.

Sounds like you already know not to let her out of your sight - do you have any male dogs that roam around? Also be aware that sometimes bitches change whilst in season and will try to get out to get to a dog.

Personally I prefer them to have had one season before they are spayed - it only increases the risk of mammary cancer very slightly {about 8% difference between spaying before any seasons, and spaying after the first one, although after that the risk does increase markedly}. I think they mature physically and mentally after a season.

Hi Kat,
Daisy Boo is just out of her first heat so I know a bit. First thing is keep her in (not even a walk) because if a dog gets the scent he will jump six foot walls to get at her. I felt guilty about this but my vet put my mind at ease. Just let her run around the back garden - supervised of course - she is a small dog and it won't do her any harm.
The bleeding will continue for about two weeks - the amount of blood is tiny, just little drops. I had the pants but to be honest I took them off after a couple of days because she licked at them all the time - I think they were rubbing against her and irritating her. Just have a blanket for the couch just in case.
She will be more clingy - hormones! And she will get to the point where she wants a boy. So be vigilent with open doors and gates.
Another thing I would advise is to watch her stools. Daisy Boo's became very hard and she ended up with a sore bum. Get some Liquid Paraffin from the pharmacy just in case and if you see her straining give her a five millilitre dose. This just acts as a lubricant. Hopefully you won't need that.
Best of luck - it will be over before you know it. :D

joanna said:
She will be more clingy - hormones! And she will get to the point where she wants a boy. So be vigilent with open doors and gates.
Another thing I would advise is to watch her stools.
Joanna, now I am a little concerned. Isabelle is not clingy AT ALL. She keeps going in her crate and only wants to be with us when we go to bed at night. Then she leaves her crate and jumps in with us.

I haven't even see her take a poo the last day or two. I hope she isn't constipated, but at the same time she's hardly eating. Is the decrease in appetite normal?

Nicki said:
It's common for them to go quiet and be off their food - just think how we feel :cry: at that time.

2 weeks after the end of the season sounds a bit soon to me - they usually suggest half way between seasons, so nearer two months. Otherwise it can affect their hormone status.
Nicki, thank you so much for all your info. I was worried Isabelle was sick as Joanna said they are normally clingy, but like yours, she is just the opposite.
I will wait 2 months then. The woman that answered the phone at the vets said two weeks. So glad you commented on that!
I didn't think twice about taking her for a walk, but I think I will stick with backyard play those two weeks. We don't have roaming dogs that I've ever noticed, but almost every neighbor does have a dog, so just in case it gets out of the fence I've decided to keep playtime in the back.
thank you for everything! The blood is so light, I think I may not use anything unless it gets heavier. She is in a huge chewing stage, and I'm afraid anything we put on her she would chew through and possibly swallow. If it doesn't work I may try the doggie diapers as we tried sewing a pair of my daughters size 2 underwear and the legs were just too big. She's a small little thing and we couldn't alter it to her size no matter how hard we tried.
Thanks again!!!
Kat

After getting one or to ear bashing off of me my brother finally had his cocker spaniel spayed but he decided to arrange it two weeks after her last season.

Although she had never shown any signs of a false pregnancies before, she when in to one which lasted for much longer than normal. No cuddly toy was safe while she was around (baby eeyore being the favourite) and she had to have medication to try and control it.

You could see the toll it was taking on her body while her hormones were starting to balance out, still can’t understand why the vet let it go ahead.

Later found out on the net that spaying can make it last longer.

Davy said:
You could see the toll it was taking on her body while her hormones were starting to balance out, still can’t understand why the vet let it go ahead.

Well that settles it then. I only want what's best for her psychologically and physically. I will wait at least a couple months.
Thank you so much for that experience!

Usually they do recommend waiting til well after a heat, maybe two months at least? Someone is sure to know better than me on this as I have only boys!! :lol: At any rate you know she shouldn;t come into heat again so you will be safe waiting.

Yes, I think I would wait at least a couple months if I were you. As others have said, once she's over this, she won't be in season for a while. My personal opinion is that the closer to a year you can get, the better. I know the vets always push for earlier, but I think that's because they see so many "accidents".

If there is any chance there will be a male dog in your house, I would use the underware. If she spots in the house, those boys will find it and mark it, even after she is done. We put a panty liner in the underware so the underware don't have to be washed all the time.

Bruce.........

Bruce H said:
Yes, I think I would wait at least a couple months if I were you. As others have said, once she's over this, she won't be in season for a while. My personal opinion is that the closer to a year you can get, the better. I know the vets always push for earlier, but I think that's because they see so many "accidents".

If there is any chance there will be a male dog in your house, I would use the underware. If she spots in the house, those boys will find it and mark it, even after she is done. We put a panty liner in the underware so the underware don't have to be washed all the time.

Thank you Bruce! I didn't plan on there being any male dogs in my house, but lo and behold, Isabelle's brother is going to be ready to come home Sunday. He will be 4 months old this weekend. Do I still need to worry about the panties? The breeder says he isn't sexually mature yet. This is the only weekend she and her husband have free to drive 1/2 way and meet us.

Well, I hate to sound wishy-washy, but maybe. I tend to err on the safe side. So I would keep them apart unless they are under VERY close supervision. He may go through the motions purely out of instinct; he probably is too young, but you never know. Oh, and don't depend on those underware as a chastity belt!

As far as marking, again maybe. Just keep a close eye on him.

So, how was that for wishy-washy :D

Davy said:

After getting one or to ear bashing off of me my brother finally had his cocker spaniel spayed but he decided to arrange it two weeks after her last season.

Although she had never shown any signs of a false pregnancies before, she when in to one which lasted for much longer than normal. No cuddly toy was safe while she was around (baby eeyore being the favourite) and she had to have medication to try and control it.

Yup. If you spay too early after they come out of heat, they will be very likely to go into a false pregancy which is no fun. Has to do with the sudden removal of the normally slowly declining hormones. Mimics pregnancy and sends the body into post-pregnancy mode. Making milk, nesting, etc. Dogs have the some of same hormones whether they become pregnant or not, so you need to wait until the end of what would be a normal pregnancy (63 days) before spaying to avoid confusing the body and causing false pregnancy.

Sorry you have to deal with poor Isabelle in heat. :( I'm sure not a lot of fun for any of you who were not expecting this. Waiting until after their first heat increases their risk of mammary cancer. Be sure to check her regularly for the rest of her life to catchy any lumps early. But on the bright side, waiting until she is a bit older will likely mean she will be less talk and lanky and more naturally sized and shaped. :D

I would definitely get the doggie panties or doggie diapers and put a panty liner in there. And the panties are not a protection from boys, like Bruce said. Those darn boys will go through concrete to get to your lovely lady!!! :lol: So keep her away from all boys for 3 weeks.

Bruce H said:
Well, I hate to sound wishy-washy, but maybe. I tend to err on the safe side. So I would keep them apart unless they are under VERY close supervision. He may go through the motions purely out of instinct; he probably is too young, but you never know. Oh, and don't depend on those underware as a chastity belt!

As far as marking, again maybe. Just keep a close eye on him.

So, how was that for wishy-washy :D

Not wishy washy at all. I agree with you. Caution is better than the slim chance of something happening. Gosh, can you imagine how much I'd hate myself if some mistake happened? A mistake on my end of any kind would kill me, but especially with Isabelle only being 8 months old and 7 1/2 pounds. That would kill her. We are getting the pup on Sunday, so I will be washing all bedding, including hers and running by the pet store. As far as the chastity belt, I would have assumed that's what I was doing so I thank you VERY much for saying that. Wish we could have held off another week or two, but the breeder is willing to meet me hald way and this Sunday is the only time they have free to make that drive in the upcoming month.
Thanks again!

rory said:
Sorry you have to deal with poor Isabelle in heat. :( I'm sure not a lot of fun for any of you who were not expecting this. Waiting until after their first heat increases their risk of mammary cancer. Be sure to check her regularly for the rest of her life to catchy any lumps early.

Where do I check for the mammary cancer? I'm assuming I'll be looking for lumps. Near the nipples? I hate I've put her at greater risk, no matter how small the risk is. We were told by our breeder wait until the first heat. Then I was told by others to wait until the palates were totally formed or closed, not sure which. Then I heard earlier was better because of cancer risks. Once I heard that AND we had a male pup coming home, I decided to do it now. And within 48 hours of making the appt., she was in heat. It hasn't been fun, but she's keeping herself really clean. I'm keeping the same sheets on my bed for 2 weeks until it's done and the dime size spots are nothing Stain Stick can't get out. If she was making a mess all over, I'd be losing it. Although my youngest girl is getting sick of Isabelle's heat. She's only 5 and wants nothing to do with this. LOL icon_yikes

yes, just check near the nipples for abnormal lumps. probably wouldn't even be a problem until she is older, anyway. And if caught early, they are usually easy to remove and cure. Many are benign, too.

It is tricky. There's no right answer on when to spay. With my boy, I waited until he was older. With a female, I feel the risks of waiting outweight the benefits, unless you plan on showing or breeding. But just for a pet, I think spaying before the first heat is best. It's not a huge deal, but there certainly are health benefits to spaying earlier.

But don't feel bad!! You had an appt made and everything! Isabelle just wanted to beat you to it! :lol: She'll be fine. :)

First Season

The same thing has happened to my baby, Fern so perhaps we can learn together. Fern was due to go in on thursday, but I noticed the last few days she had been licking herself a lot. Fern is six and a half months old. :?

We never put Nóra in a diper, she cleande her self so well. And she become so little and wanted just sleep in my arms. And she really loved when i stroke her tummy... :flwr:
But I know some bitches just want to be in peace, so thats normal 8)

Our Katie went into heat 2 days before her scheduled spay. We had one intact male in the house (a 7 month old pup) so he went to the vet to be neutered in her place.

We used doggie diapers and did not leave them unsupervised at all. He did manage to tear off the doggie diaper and as young as he is, tried his best. Fortunately we were able to intercede. It is my understanding that males retain sperm for quite awhile after they are neutered. So we were extremely careful with the two of them.

Our vet had us wait 3 months for Katie's hormone levels to return to normal before she was spayed. Good luck!

My 2 girls are not spayed yet at 2 and a half and 3 yrs old . We cant get doggy diapers here so we had to be inventive . A childs swimsuit ( onepiece ) with an always pantyliner on it soaks up any spots and the girls can go anywhere in the house with us without messing . Its great and they dont mind a bit.
Mimi

Back