PDA

View Full Version : TedBear - MRI

Nicki
4th April 2006, 10:39 PM
I wasn't going to say anything yet, but as it's a few weeks away, thought I'd tell everyone.

TedBear is going to have a consultation and an MRI at Glasgow Vet School on 24th April.

He has been scratching for some time, we've eliminated other causes and sadly now suspect that it may be Syringo.

He is 2 1/2, the scratching is really his only symptom, he's so full of life and happy. He does startle easily, and is "reactive" when you groom him - he scratches behind his front legs and around his neck. If you put a collar on him, he reacts to this too. He's not showing any signs of being in pain - he never cries out or screams like Rupert does when he has an episode.

I know that some dogs who've only shown mild symptoms have actually been the most severely affected when MRI'd, so we are doing this to establish how badly affected he really is, and his treatment options. We have tried Frusemide, but this didn't work for him.

I will of course keep everyone posted and let you know when I have the results - just can't believe this is happening, we tried so hard to find an unaffected dog, there is no family history and his breeder is {genuinely} shocked. He was 19 months when we had him, and started scratching at 22 months.

Karlin
4th April 2006, 11:01 PM
Oh Nicki, I am so sorry to hear this. This must be such a weight for you to be carrying, and it won't be easy to have to wait until the 24th to know more. I'll be hoping for the best possible outcome. It could be PSOM that is bothering him, especially if he doesn't seem to have any other issues. And I know Clare feels that scratching alone is not necessarily going to be a major problem and he might never have any further difficulties, if it is SM. I'm thinking of you as I know the uncertainty right now must be very difficult.

rory
4th April 2006, 11:02 PM
Nicki -

I'm so sorry to hear you suspect SM in dear TedBear. :( I will be thinking of you and hoping that his MRI is clear. It sounds hopeful that his symptoms are very mild at his age. HOpefully if he does have SM he will be one of the lucky ones who don't progress past the scratching and mild discomfort. :( I can imagine how frustrating this must be considering all you've been through with Rupert and your efforts to avoid going through that again...

Rory sends puppy kisses to you and TedBear!

Jen
5th April 2006, 01:17 AM
Oh Nicki I'm so sorry about TedBear. I just felt sick when I read this. You've been through so much with Rupert, and TedBear is better hands because of this. You're going to get some answers and regardless, he's going to have the best life possible just as Rupert. Know that we're thinking of you and TedBear, and will keep you in our thoughts on the 24.

joanna
5th April 2006, 11:52 AM
I'm really sorry to hear this Nicki. My thoughts are with you and Tedbear for the 24th. The very best of luck.
Joanna

Nicki
6th April 2006, 11:25 AM
Thanks everyone - your positive thoughts and words are much appreciated. TedBear was quite scratchy last night - I have been putting a magnetic collar on him at night but had to take it off as it was bothering him too much :(

He does sit on my magnetic pad during the day sometimes though which I hope will help.

Karlin, I started off hoping that it might be PSOM but had dismissed it as he is scratching behind his front legs mostly - although also at his neck and ears. I would have expected PSOM irritation to be concentrated around the face?

Karlin
6th April 2006, 12:51 PM
My understanding is that because it can cause other neurological signs, it can potentially trigger scratching anywhere.

Abstract:
Sixty-one episodes of primary secretory otitis media (PSOM) were diagnosed in 43 Cavalier King Charles spaniels over a 10-year period. The principal findings were signs of moderate to severe pain localised to the head or cervical area, and/or neurological signs.

I would imagine as with SM that the neurological signs could be the same skin-creeping sensations and so on. I don't know many more details; I have this complete article somewhere so will see if I can find it on my PC.

rory
6th April 2006, 02:28 PM
The neurological signs seen with middle ear didsease are usually vestibular -- i.e. balance issues. Head tilts, circling, unbalanced, etc. Due to compression of other nerves w/in the skull, not the spinal cord which is thought to be the cause of the neurological "creepy skin" sensations observed in SM.

Nicki - thinking of you and TedBear! ;)

Nicki
6th April 2006, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys - PSOM is looking more unlikely...his balance is superb, he's like a little mountain goat if he gets up on the rocks etc. No head tilt etc. He leaps up and down from the bed and chairs quite happily too - there is a pouffee at the end of the bed to reduce the height of the jump.

The only circling he does is to "twirl" with excitement, which he's always done - so cute!!

Karlin, I think I have that article somewhere too, I did read it ages ago and didn't recollect seeing scratching specifically mentioned.

rory
6th April 2006, 08:31 PM
Ok - i talked to a classmate and she reminded me that a lot of the "neuro" signs of middle ear disease (like the balance and stuff) is due to disruption of the vestibular system which is responsible for an animal's (or human's) sense of balance. There are these little hairs in the middle ear and this delicate system.... really hard to explain. Anyway. Middle ear disease can cause "neurologic" signs related to this. Also can cause Horner's syndrome due to compression of one of the cranial nerves.

The only circling he does is to "twirl" with excitement, which he's always done - so cute!!

rory does this, too. ;) It's adorable.

Karlin
7th April 2006, 12:32 AM
Thanks for clarifications, those are helpful. I must add a note on the type of scratching to the SM website.

Leo also twirls when waiting for his food -- Margaret who minds him loves it when he does this... I like it less as I am always trying to get a scrunchy over his head to protect his ears and it is hard to tackle a moving target! :lol:

rory
7th April 2006, 01:59 AM
Yea. Trying to put Rory's harness on while he's twirling around can be difficult, too. :roll:

Nicki
7th April 2006, 09:12 AM
I was very lucky, TedBear had been trained to sit to have a lead put on, so he's good then.

He twirls when you greet him, or play with him, or when he wants to go out {that's a new one to me!!}, or just when he's excited...

I can only imagine how hard it is to get a harness on a twirler :roll:

After Rupert was so poorly {with SM} a couple of years ago, he started this great new game that as soon as you went to put his harness on he'd run off "laughing" and we had to chase him. We were just so pleased he was feeling better, we let him get away with it. Well you can guess this wasn't a great behaviour to encourage...but he does come as soon as you "call" him and sit, so we do manage to get him dressed eventually. Either that or resort to rugby tackles :lol:

Kendall, thanks for the clarification on PSOM - it's really helpful. I think we are learning alll the time. My friend's Cavalier does have PSOM, it all came to light recently when it became infected and her ears were drained. She's doing ok though.

Forest
7th April 2006, 01:34 PM
Prayers for you and TedBear that everything will be Ok. At least after the MRI you will know what to do next.
Julie and the girls

Karlin
19th April 2006, 08:43 PM
Good luck, Nicky and TedBear -- I know your scan is coming up this weekend. Lots of us will be thinking positive thoughts for the outcome. :flwr:

Nicki
20th April 2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks Karlin...Linda has very kindly offered to post as soon as we have any news - my hubby will contact her and she will post here.

All your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated :thnx:

Jen
20th April 2006, 11:44 PM
I've been thinking a lot about you Nikki. :flwr:

Linda
23rd April 2006, 03:40 PM
Nikki
Is off to Glasgow with Tedbear, I pray that the outcome is good and
the results are negative.

I will be absolutely sure as soon as I hear from Trevor, to post to let everyone know.

I wish I could of gone with her. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Trevor said she arrived safely with Tedbear. :drivecar: :drivecar: :drivecar: :drivecar:

Claire
24th April 2006, 11:23 AM
Fingers crossed for TedBear and Nicki.

Karlin
24th April 2006, 12:31 PM
FIngers crossed... :xfngr:

Linda
24th April 2006, 07:06 PM
I just received an e-mail from Nikki's husband it does not look good. :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Nicki called to say that the Vet seems fairly certain that Teddy has got Syringo. :(
They will scan tomorrow, to confirm, so we'll keep you posted.

I feel so bad for Nikki, I can only hope the Vet is wrong.

Jen
24th April 2006, 07:30 PM
Thanks for keeping us posted Linda. I'm sorry to hear this. Keeping TedBear and family in our thoughts.

Linda
25th April 2006, 02:28 PM
It is with much much sadness I post this post for Nikki, I am breaking my heart for her and Tedbear. It has been confirmed that yet another
gorgeous and beautiful Cavalier has SM

Here is the email from Trevor.

Hi Linda,
Nicki has just phoned and its confirmed. He has got syringo. He's come round from the op but is still a bit dopey. They will travel home today as Nicki doesn't want to stay another night.
They want to try medication before we consider surgery, which Nicki feels is best anyway.

I'm so sorry that the news isn't any better, but Nicki will write to you with more details, probably tomorrow.

Best wishes

Trevor

Please, Please post your wishes for Nikki and Tedbear.
I am sure she will appreciate all our love and care like Trevor said
they will start the medication before considering Surgery.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Karlin
25th April 2006, 02:33 PM
I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope he can be managed on medication alone; Nicki I know you have experience of this and know the different directions you might take. As he is a bit older and the sympotms don't seem too serious at this time it sounds like this is a very likely and workable option for you?

We are all thinking of you. :hug: This is a diagnosis no one wants to hear.

JaneB
25th April 2006, 02:41 PM
Oh, Nicki, I am so very sorry to hear about your sweet TedBear. I know your heart must be breaking. :( He is so fortunate though to be in the best of hands with a loving, well informed Mama. Our thoughts are with you and Teddy.

JaneB

Jen
25th April 2006, 02:54 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, Nikki. I hope he does well on meds; I know you'll keep us posted. He's in the right hands, he's very lucky to have you and your experience. I'm sure you're both just happy to be home after everything :hug:

rory
25th April 2006, 03:05 PM
Nikki =
I am so sorry to hear the news... :( You tried so hard to avoid going through this another time!! It's just not fair.... :(

I hope the meds work and keep him comfortable for a long long time. ;)

Claire
25th April 2006, 03:58 PM
Nicki and Trevor, life is so bloody unfair, all our household are wishing you and TedBear all the very best of luck and that there is no pain for him at all - I hope that the medicine works.... :xfngr:

joanna
25th April 2006, 06:51 PM
I'm really sorry to hear this Nicki. My heart is breaking for Tedbear and for you and your family. I hope the meds work. Best of luck. :cry*ing:

Forest
26th April 2006, 09:37 AM
I am so sorry to ear of your news Nicki. Your poor little TedBear. Hugs and kisses from
Julie and the girls :flwr: :lotsaluv:

Linda
26th April 2006, 07:59 PM
:hug:I have heard from Nikki, and just wanted to let you all know that
she is pretty emotional right now.
The news is not good at all, she told me she will try to post tommorow.

It is her place to inform you, I am so upset and hurt for her.
Just thought I should let you know that she is back home.

Nikki I am so so sorry.
Just know that I love you, Trevor, Rupert & My Tedbear.

Karlin
26th April 2006, 09:54 PM
Take care Nicki, and post in your own time. :flwr:

Nicki
27th April 2006, 12:26 PM
Thanks so much everyone, your support and love mean so much.

I know that really it's only confirmed what we suspected, but have just taken it pretty badly...after losing my darling Princess Peaches in January, and so much else going wrong, this just hurts too much. :(

I'm trying to look at it from TedBear's poiint of view...at least we knew what to look for, and pushed to get him treated, and we will do everything possible for him to keep him comfortable and happy. Mybe in another home they would have thought he'd just slowed down as he was no longer a puppy, and was just an itchy dog, and being naughty about grooming...

Just wish I had all the answers and knew exactly WHAT is the best for him...

Well the technical stuff is:

Teddy has some hydrocephalus, the malformation, herniation, dilation all the way down the spinal cord with two largish syrinxes and some very small ones. The large ones around his neck and lower spine, which makes sense with regard to the grooming problems I'm having with him, also his change in gait - he had the most beautiful movement, but it's more of a bunny hop when he's running now.

He has some obvious neck discomfort - he was rather sore and quiet after the examination on Monday, as they had to pull him around a bit to examine him. His only reaction at the time though was to lower his ears, he didn't cry at all, he's such a brave boy. He's never ever cried, not like my precious Rupert who has the dreadful screaming episodes, but fortunately not very often.

One of the most difficult things to understand is that the degree of severity appearing on MRI does not seem to correlate with the symptoms the dogs are showing. Glasgow have MRI'd dogs with a syrinx all the way down the cord who can run and jump and play, but just scratch a lot. Other dogs appear very mildly affected on MRI but can hardly move their heads at all with the pain.

We've started TedBear on Prednisolone 2mg 2 x daily then reducing after two weeks hopefully and Gabapentin, 100mg 2 x daily, but I'm also going to obtain homoeopathic remedies from these medicines to give with them, to reduce the side effects and also hopefully reduce the dosage.

Glasgow are not keen on surgery - both the neurologist I saw and Mr Jacques Penderis came up from the Animal Health Trust in Newmarket {for those not in the UK, it's very famous, it's where they treat the racehorses}, and they are not even doing it there. Glasgow are seeing quite a few Cavaliers for MRI and diagnosing Caudal Occipital Malformation Syndrome (COMS) {they say this is the better name for it}. They are treating them medically. One was a 6 month old puppy who was quite bad, but is doing well on medication.

We are going to run with the medication and see how it goes.

I understand that Dr Dewey will be presenting his results this summer in ACVIM (big American conference), with regard to the new surgical procedure he has been using over the last few months, which seems to be better.

I guess that we are all learning all the time.

As you may know, we tried really hard to avoid having another affected dog, but it's happened again.

We all need to know what to look for and be prepared to educate our vets, and to push for treatment as it's very easy for some of these symptoms to be dismissed as a "dog thing". Please have a look here

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/

and here

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=32&sid=fbe5297bd4cd66e8f977662e92bc9f11

I don't want to frighten anyone, just to make sure you're aware.

The good news is that TedBear has started on his medication and I'm seeing a big improvement in him already - he was doing circuits in the garden this morning :yikes :D Also he got some of his toys out of the basket, something he hadn't been doing.

When the condition has been progressing slowly, it's hard to see the changes sometimes, I'm beginning to realise that he can't have been feeling that great for a while.

He sends you all a kissy and thanks you for thinking of us and a special one for Lulu, thanks for updating everyone and keeping in touch, you're a star :flwr:

Karlin
27th April 2006, 01:08 PM
Thanks for that detailed update and heartfelt advice, Nicki. This is indeed heartbreaking and such a cruel discovery for you. Even if you knew he was likely to have some level of affectedness, no one wants such a complex diagnosis. I think the good news is that he seems to be of those who can manage fairly well over time even with his various afflictions. It sounds like he is responding right away to a medical programme that we will all hope will keep him happy and comfortable through his life. There is nothing quite like the sinking feeling one has when a neurologist confirms the elements of COMS/SM in a dog we love dearly.

Do you mind if I ask what were you prescribed for medical treatment? I am considering moving Leo on to Neurontin for his scratching at this point and would be interested in knowing what TedBear is responding to.

You are so right on your gentle advice that all cavalier owners need to be very aware. I think they also need to realise this seeems to be very widespread in the breed, to such an extent that we are probably ALL in possession of a cavalier affected to some degree, if not with syrinxes then the malformation. I echo Nicki in saying that I don't say this to scare people, but to get people to realise this problem is not someone else's, or other people's dogs, but on all evidence so far extends very deep into the breed, in probably all lines, all colours certainly, and is an international problem, with affected cavaliers in North America, Europe, Africa, Australia and elsewhere. As Nicki notes lack of symptoms or very mild symptoms is no indication of whether a dog has SM and whether it might be very severe. There are oddly many cases of severely-affected dogs having few to no symptoms. But we can surmise that such dogs, if allowed to breed, may produce pups that get both the severe level of affectedness and the severe level of symptoms.

We truly have a role in helping minimise if not solve this problem by taking the steps we have done as responsible owners and buyers regarding other health issues -- ask all breeders about this problem if you are seeking a puppy; expect them to know about and openly discuss this issue; be concerned if they try to underplay it or insist they have totally clear lines (unless they have MRI'd ALL their dogs and progeny, they cannot posssibly know this and it is extremely unlikely, given that many breeders who have MRId multiple dogs have found about 50% affected, on average, with syrinxes and a higher level with at minimum, the malformation).

Consider whether you prefer to support breeders who are actively MRIing their breeding stock or alternatively, expecting the sires of their litters to have been MRId (sires impact the breed most widely as a bitch will only have one to three litters, maybe 15 puppies with her DNA, but a prominent sire fathers thousands of puppies. This is considered to be a potential major factor in the spread of more severe forms of SM). If the breeder does not MRI, talk to them about their breeding philosophy and see whether that suits you. Other positive factors may very well outweigh whether a breeder MRIs at this time, and only a puppy buyer doing their research thoroughly can decide if this is the case.

I emphasise that I know breeders are in a difficult position facing a problem that is costly to identify and many are not persuaded that following the recommended breeding protocol from Dr Rusbridge -- which requires MRIing -- is the right way to go at this time. That is a personal choice but the breeder should be willing to discuss why they feel this way and feel comfortable in talking about their philosophy. However I also feel breeders who MRI and defray that cost across litters will find puppy buyers willing to pay for puppies from such litters. I am already getting regular enquiries through the SM Infosite (www.sm.cavaliertalk.com) asking for recommendations of breeders who MRI. For that reason I am hoping to start including a list of breeders who would like to be identified as doing so, on the SM website.

Shortly (in early June/late May), we will have the public presentation of the results from some of the US studies as well as a new paper from Dr Rusbridge, as well as a presentation from Dr Dewey on surgically treating this condition. The information we have on this condition is expanding, and the genome scan is now well underway. As results start to come back this will allow breeders to make more informed decisions, and help all of us to make decisions about choosing puppies -- sadly, perhaps even on whether we will in future choose this breed -- and the very hard decisions on how to treat our affected dogs.

Overall I am finding it very sobering that I now know of several people in several places who have had two or more cavaliers, from totally unrelated breeders and litters, develop SM. This is moving well beyond the realm of coincidence. That's why I for one feel so strongly that we must make sure this issue comes out into the open, that all pet buyers are fully aware os SM and its risks just as they are with MVD, and that we do all we can as buyers and lovers of this breed to ensure it has as healthy a future as possible. I couldn't stand to think of a world without these wonderful, charming dogs.

Hugs, Nicki; I know how much you too love the breed and each of your lovely dogs and it is very, very hard when this affliction strikes home in this way.

Claire
27th April 2006, 01:38 PM
Glad you could post Nicki,

Keep a happy heart - I am sure TedBear feels much better with the medicine, we have paws and fingers crossed that he gets so much better... plus lots of licks and kisses for my lot......

I think you know that everyone is thinking and prayig for you. :hug:

Jen
27th April 2006, 02:26 PM
Thank you for posting Nicki, I've been thinking of you. You're helping TedBear and your posts are helping others as well. I know I identified and took comfort in our similar situations. Abbey's interest in play, toys, etc. declined as well, and she improved greatly with Furosemide, so I hope that offers you some encouragement. It sounds like you're already seeing good signs, so that's great. You have to feel good that you are doing all you can, because like you mentioned, others may think of it as just a scratchy, tired, etc. dog, but you knew better and were on top of it. He's in good hands because of your experience with Peaches--she's helping you now. ;)

:hug:

Rach
23rd May 2006, 04:43 PM
Nicki, I am so sorry to hear this, hope the drugs help and you see an even bigger improvement soon

Life can be so cruel.....

Nicki
23rd May 2006, 05:32 PM
Thank you so much, it really helps to know that you are thinking of us. :flwr:

TedBear is doing ok, some days are better than others. He still enjoys his walks and has a run either on the beach or on the heath most days, with frequent stops for scratchies :(

He's now down to 2mg of Prednisolone per day, and I've obtained homoepathic remedies made from this, the Neurontin {he's also taking 100mg of the conventional drug twice daily} and also Frusemide {he only has the remedy for this, not the conventional drug}.

He still scratches, but not as much, and he doesn't seem to have those episodes at night, before it was usually 2 -3 times a night.

Karlin {sorry I missed your post earlier}, it's hard to know what to suggest, I'd always thought the Neurontin was more for the pain and steroids for the scratching, and had thought that this combination would stop it altogether. I'm kind of reluctant to stop either drug, to see which is working but I guess this is the only way to tell. I can only say maybe try the Neurontin and see if you notice an improvement - TedBear was very quiet and obviously not feeling too great on the drugs until I introduced the remedies...so maybe something to think about. It was hard as he doesn't cry at all, so being quiet is also an indication of pain with him - I was very relieved when he started to feel better.

TedBear had developed rather an appetite from the steroids, but that has gone now so I know the remedies are counteracting the side effects. I'm actually giving him a dose of the remedies mid afternoon, as I find this helps him.

Rach, it's lovely to see you on here...just had a quick look at your website, it's super. Taffy has grown into the most handsome lad - makes me broody for a B&T!!! - well done on your results wiith him too. As you can see elsewhere, we have a new addition, an MRI scanned clear Blenheim, Jack - he's 4 1/2 and a real sweetie.

Rach
23rd May 2006, 07:04 PM
Nicki, yes I have just been reading about your new addition :D It must be such a relief to know he is SM clear thats brilliant.
We are planning on having Taffy scanned later this year, the South and West Wales Club are doing a scheme where they help with the cost so we will hopefully be taking up this very kind offer !

Rippleoak
23rd May 2006, 07:56 PM
Nicki,

I am so sorry to read your news. I have had a lot of computer problems so am way behind on this forum. I cant believe how much bad luck you have had.

On a brighter note I am pleased to read about Jacks MRI results.
I know what a worry it is not knowing and waiting for the MRI.

rory
23rd May 2006, 11:17 PM
He's now down to 2mg of Prednisolone per day, and I've obtained homoepathic remedies made from this, the Neurontin {he's also taking 100mg of the conventional drug twice daily} and also Frusemide {he only has the remedy for this, not the conventional drug}.

Nicki - I tried an herbal version of furosemide before the surgery wwith Rory and saw zero results. :( Now he is on regular furosemide and if I miss the dose for a few days, i definitely see a difference.

Karlin {sorry I missed your post earlier}, it's hard to know what to suggest, I'd always thought the Neurontin was more for the pain and steroids for the scratching, and had thought that this combination would stop it altogether. I'm kind of reluctant to stop either drug, to see which is working but I guess this is the only way to tell. I can only say maybe try the Neurontin and see if you notice an improvement - TedBear was very quiet and obviously not feeling too great on the drugs until I introduced the remedies...so maybe something to think about. It was hard as he doesn't cry at all, so being quiet is also an indication of pain with him - I was very relieved when he started to feel better.

Neurontin works on neuropathic pain -- this is what is causing the scratching. So the neurontin really really helps reduce scratching, at least for Rory and most other SM dogs. Prednisone or prednisolone or any steroid reduces pain by reducing inflammation. So it helps relieve some of the pressure, I guess... I'm not entirely sure what inflammation is involved with SM and so don't know exactly how it helps. It is not a direct analgesic, like neurontin or other pain killers. The pain is reduced by relieving some of the cause of the pain. I'm thinking it relieves some of the swelling in the syrinxes, but that's just a guess... I don't know the exact mechanism or target. [/quote]

TedBear had developed rather an appetite from the steroids, but that has gone now so I know the remedies are counteracting the side effects. I'm actually giving him a dose of the remedies mid afternoon, as I find this helps him.

That's very interesting that you were able to counteract some of the side effects with homeopathics...! :)

Are you planning on keeping him on the steroids long term? It's not ideal to keep animals on steroids long term unless it is absolutely necessary and the problems cannot be managed any other way. Or in life-threatening situations -- like a disease where the animal would have such poor quality of life without the steroids that it is preferable to keep them on steroids despite the side effects. Steroids have a ton of detrimental side effects if usesd long term. They affect almost all the organ systems.

Rory has managed quite well on 100mg Neurontin every 8 hours and Furosemide 10mg twice a day. I was giving MSM but saw no difference so not giving it anymore. But I do know that if I stop with either of the drugs he is on, the scratching increases noticeably. So the combination seems key. he has been pretty stable since the surgery. It will be 6 months on Wednesday. A couple of the neurologists (including the one who did the surgery) said they often see the dogs relapse at about 6 - 8 months post-op, so I'm a little nervous about the next few months.. Especially since I will be out of the country and Rory will be staying with my parents. :?

Have you considered surgery for TedBear, nicki? it's such a tough call... :(

Om's Mom
22nd November 2006, 04:51 AM
Nicki, I am so sorry to learn TedBear has the COMS. It brings tears to my eyes. I know it was not expected at all. I hope he is better since this information was shared here last Spring. Hugs to all of you. :hug:

Dorothy and Omlette
and Dickens, of course

Nicki
29th November 2006, 09:44 PM
Thanks so much Dorothy...we decided against surgery for TedBear after much research and consideration.

TedBear recently started a new medication and is doing very well on it, we are really pleased and feeling more confident...

I'm actually giving it to Rupert too, he's more mildly affected.

Their eyes have cleared, TedBear particularly always looked like he had a headache. They are much easier to groom, TedBear used to pull away and get to as far away as possible on the grooming table - when I tried to do his ears he would just lie down, he looked absolutely miserable.

Rupert is happier to stand too, and is much more tolerant.

Rupert is barking a lot more - I *think* that's a good sign :lol:

They are both running more, TedBear particularly is demanding to have his toy thrown the whole time we are out walking...we used to just throw it about 6 times as we didn't want him to overdo it, now he's so excited and twirling again, something he'd stopped doing.

He does still scratch when excited, I think that is residual nerve damage so prob won't change.

Rupert's head posture has changed too, he had a very distinctive lowered head carriage before.

TedBear is still on the Gabapentin too, although I am going to try to reduce it to twice daily.

rory
30th November 2006, 12:26 AM
Nicki - What are you giving them now? that's wonderful that they're doing so well!! I love the twirling! Rory does that, too. :D

Nicki
2nd December 2006, 05:14 PM
I have e-mailed you Kendall :D

Janine
2nd December 2006, 06:36 PM
Nicki

Could you let me know what you are giving Tedbear and Rupert as well? It sounds a wonderful improvement!

Janine

Nicki
2nd December 2006, 08:09 PM
Sent :D

Nice to see you here Janine :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

rory
2nd December 2006, 11:47 PM
I didn't get it... :? What email did you send to? I'll PM you w/ my email address. :) thanks!

Shay
11th December 2006, 05:09 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and TedBear. I know you are hopping against hope that it is not SM. Please keep us posted, and I am very anxious to hear the outcome as I suspect my little 4 mo. old Lily may have SM. It would certinly give me hope if TedBear's MRI is negative for SM. I just still keep hoping that Lily's symptoms are from something other than SM, but I will not be shocked if she has it at this point. Hoping all goes well for you!!!!!

Lisa_T
11th December 2006, 07:03 PM
Shay, TedBear does have SM. The MRI report is on page three of this thread; the rest is treatment, basically, and combining conventional and alternative therapies :flwr: ;)

Shay
11th December 2006, 08:34 PM
Oh My....So sorry I missed it. I just went back and read the report. I feel just awful for them. It is so sad to have 2 affected dogs. I absolutely agree about owners familiarizing themselves with this condition. Had it not been for this site, I would be blissfully unaware of SM, never imaging anything like that could possible be the cause of some of Lily's behavior. While I don't know whether she has it, at least now I will find out. It has taken some of the joy out of being a new puppy and Cav owner, because a week after I got her is when I started noticing some of the odd behavior. Now I just worry what the outcome will be, and if she does have it, what kind of life will she have. BUT.....I would rather know something is wrong with her, and have some of the joy of being a new Mom be lessened, than be blissfully unaware, enjoying my new baby, and then find out much later she was sick, and it maybe be too late to help her.

Nicki....I am so sorry for you and I am glad that TedBear and Rupert have such a great Mom to care for them. I have always heard that God gives special need babies to parents who will give them the best possible life. I do believe this to be true.

Nicki
17th February 2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks for all the messages everyone. Just thought I would update you - Teddy is not doing so well at home - he is very restless and depressed, but is still enjoying his walks...

He's on quite a cocktail of medications and supplements, which have been helping.

We are going back to Glasgow on Monday 25th February to see the neurologist, so will keep you posted as to what they say when we get back {probably later that week as we are stopping with my friend}.

Sending positive thoughts to all those who are dealing with this horrid condition and of course to the precious dogs too.

misty
17th February 2008, 10:09 PM
I'm so sorry poor TedBear's struggling at the moment, Nicki. :(. Please send him our love.

Good luck on the 25th.

Karlin
18th February 2008, 12:45 AM
Hugs to you and to TedBear. I hope there's no progression on the MRI. :(

Cathy T
18th February 2008, 02:39 AM
Oh Nicki....so sorry to hear TedBear isn't doing so well. This is just such a horrible disease and I cringe whenever I read about it. My heart goes out to everyone dealing with it. Thankfully TedBear is receiving such wonderful care and getting the medical attention he needs. Praying for a good visit and no progression. Hugs to gorgeous boy.

Cathy Moon
18th February 2008, 12:03 PM
Please give Tedbear an extra cuddle and tell him for me what a lovely boy he is. I hope the 25th goes well. So sorry he hasn't been well. :hug:

Mary
18th February 2008, 12:12 PM
Thinking positive thoughts for Tedbear!

pinkpuppy
18th February 2008, 06:34 PM
Wishing TedBear paws-of-love.

Bridam
19th February 2008, 10:51 PM
Wish you the best. I'm sorry to hear Teddy is not doing well. His mri sounds just like what we're going through with our Madison--so I can understand your sorrow.

*Pauline*
19th February 2008, 11:47 PM
Thinking of you Nicki. A gentle :hug: to Tedbear and you. All the best for the 25th.