PDA

View Full Version : Is grease bad for dogs?



melanie
11th April 2006, 05:21 PM
Last night Sadie got into some grease. Not only were her ears and face covered in grease but she ate alot of it too. She threw up several times in the night. Do you think I need to call the vet this morning or will she be ok. She is acting fine now.

joanna
11th April 2006, 05:25 PM
Keep an eye on her but she'll probably be okay. It just disagreed with her because she's not used to it. My ill informed sister fed several greasy chips to Daisy Boo a few weeks ago and she vomited several times the next morning (needless to say she's learned her lesson about feeding scraps to the dogs). However, after it had all gone out of her system she was fine. If she continues to vomit I would bring her to the vet.

Karlin
11th April 2006, 05:41 PM
Do you mean food grease or petroleum grease? If the latter I'd call a vet immediately to be on the safe side -- oil or petroleum grease could be very dangerous.

A bath should get food grease out of the coat but you may need to take special steps with car grease and should consult the vets on that.

Just a side note -- I no longer have the automatic avatar resize program able to run on the board so people need to resize avatars themselves. There are directions and maximum dimensions here:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1706

My avatar is at the maximum size so you can also gauge by that. I'm hoping one of the many programmers who tinker with this board software program will devise a way to get the old program to work with this newer version of the board software then I won't have to ask people to do this! Thanks! :)

melanie
11th April 2006, 05:49 PM
It was food grease. I will keep an eye on her. She seems to be fine right now and hasn't thrown up since 4am

Karlin
11th April 2006, 05:52 PM
Oh that's a relief! Both that it is food grease and that her tummy has settled. It might be a good idea to just phone the vets and ask if there's anything you should do as I don;t know if food grease in large amounts would be considered a problem.

I'm just posting back to you re: your question over on the avatar thread too. :)

joanna
11th April 2006, 06:07 PM
It didn't even occur to me that it might be car grease :roll:

rory
12th April 2006, 03:32 AM
Grease or any high fat foods can cause pancreatitis... :shock:


http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1580&articleid=335


http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/dogdiseasesp/a/pancreatitis.htm

Watch her for continued vomiting, lethargy, listlessness,e tc.