• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Luxating patellas

Pam Smith

Hi,
I am new, I live in North Carolina and thrilled to find this forum. I like the rest of you have fallen in love with the Cavalier. I have a 16 month old cavalier that is beautiful. I searched to find a good breeder and also searched information about health issues. I just found out in Jan. My boy(Rudy) has luxating patellas. One is a grade 1 and the other is a 2. He isn't showing any signs except with rough play with a visiting dog he may show signs of a stiffer back leg for a minute or two. The vet put him on Synovi 3, C,E, and A vit. She wants me to get him in a trot going up hill for 10min. 2x a day. She thinks he will have to have surgery at some point but wants to try this for a while. I would appreciate any advice.
Pam Smith

icon_welcome to the board, Pam.

So sorry to hear about the luxating patellas. Surgery is usually the best way to go. Good luck.

Really the luxating patellas are not a huge deal. I mean, immediately they are, but the good thing is that surgery is available and is 92% effective. The great thing is that after the surgery there are usually no further problems. Don't let my experience with Shelby cloud your judgement. We are definitely not the norm. We see our surgeon this month to be sure we have done all we can.

Sounds like your vet has you on the right track. Perhaps with exercise and time the patella may tighten up on it's own...wouldn't that be great? If not you do have options.

Keep us posted on his progress.

Back