• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

agility

I currently teach agility and I was thinking of trying my cavalier when she gets about 1 1/2 years. Does anyone think it's a bad idea? I've trained 3 Cavs and only one has hyperextended it's shoulder and had to stop. Does anyone here do it? What kind of testing should you do before hand?

Good luck! At the end of Cedar's obedience class, we had a few lessons working with agility equipment. Cedar wanted NOTHING to do with any of it. She did great with the obedience, but she literally stuck her nose up at ramps and tunnels. She'd rather cuddle with the audience than actually run the course. :roll:

I'm curious as well, we'd like to start our Schnauzer in classes once he's old enough.

One of the US champions in agility a couple of years ago was a cavalier. And lots of cavaliers do agility.

I think it depends on the dog. Jaspar absolutely loves agility and he is very good at it -- couldn't wait to figure out each piece of equipment and loves the a-frame, tunnels and jumps in particular. He is also a very active and energetic dog. Leo doesn't have the physical ability to do a lot of the equipment -- he is a bit clumsy at jumping for example -- and I also wouldn't work him very hard anyway as he has syringomyelia and lots of activity isn't good for him -- and I know he has some tender spots around his foreleg too. But even he just loves the a-frame and the dogwalk and the tunnels so I always let him do those and he's so delighted with himself.

I'm going to enroll Cedar in a rally class this summer. We'll see how she does with that. At the very least, I want her to get some more socialization. Maybe she'll get the chance to play with the agility equipment again and, now that she's older, maybe she will be more interested. We'll see, but I'll doubt it. She's picked up my laziness, I guess.

As far as medical clearances, aside from the regular health checks, you might want to have your vet check the dog's knees, as luxating patellas are common in the breed. Otherwise, if the dog is energetic and able to do the activity, go for it!

I should add I didn't do any testing nor do the classes require it. But dogs under 18 months are kept to low jumps and lower impact activity and a dog should be at least a year old.

We were all laughing the other day as after ther agility class had ended I was throwing jaspar's toy for the dogs to fetch and once when bringing it back Jaspar decided he'd return via the dogwalk. :lol: So I guess he really likes that equipment! He'll also sometimes jump through the jumps if he happens to be standing near one. :roll:

Thanks, I thought that I should probly have her knees checked. I teach agility, so I know not to run her to hard or high when she's little.

Back