• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Howdy

Qmom

I am a novice and newbie to both the discussion boards and the beloved Cavaliers. I am a new mom to Quincy. She is a Tri that is 5 months old. I want to be a good mom and handle her in the best way, since I read from you that there is a critical learning curve at her age. I found Cavaliertalk while researching the other night. I feel less confident of the discussion board, so forgive me if I mess up protocol. There is so much to learn and I think I have found the right place. So..my first question is: How do I handle the biting and nibbling that seems to be getting better but still socially unacceptable?

Thanks,
Marsha

Hi

Welcome. You will find a wealth of knowledge on this board. Sure like to see pics of your Quincy soon. What I did that worked for me and my cavaliers and collie is when they start to bite I would loudly say ouch like they would do to each other in pack if they bit each other. A loud ouch and then NO! and leave them for a moment. If they were good such as not biting or like a couple of mine that like to take my hand in there mouth and hold it ...they don't bite .....then I praise them to high heaven. This worked for me ..hope it works for you. Welcome....Mary

Hello Marsha and icon_welcome to the board. Looking forward to seeing :snap: pictures :snap: of your cavalier!

Qmom said:
I am a novice and newbie to both the discussion boards and the beloved Cavaliers. I am a new mom to Quincy. She is a Tri that is 5 months old. I want to be a good mom and handle her in the best way, since I read from you that there is a critical learning curve at her age. I found Cavaliertalk while researching the other night. I feel less confident of the discussion board, so forgive me if I mess up protocol. There is so much to learn and I think I have found the right place. So..my first question is: How do I handle the biting and nibbling that seems to be getting better but still socially unacceptable?

Thanks,
Marsha

Welcome, and yes, you have found the right place to learn! Has Quincy--love the name--had any obedience training? That would be the first step, find a reputable trainer that uses positive reinforcement training. They'll also be able to work with her on the biting issue. Our trainer has us scream "ouch" and then Gus jumps back and stares at us :lol: So, it seems to be working for us, give it a try! It's suppose to mimick the mother or other pups loud wail when a bit is not welcomed. ;)

Hi Marsha - welcome. Don't feel uncomfortable....the first time I used a message board was when I got Jake 4 years ago. I was really nervous about breaking protocol, etc., but this board is super friendly and you'll have no problems.

What everyone has said about the biting is right on. When Jake would bite I would yell ouch in a high pitched loud voice. You should have seen his face the first time I did it!!! It worked though.

Welcome Marsha

I am so happy that you have found the love of a cavalier, I also Ditto
everyone else.
A Very Firm No and whelp will give her the idea you are not happy.

Also, like everyone else has already said this Board is super super
friendly so relax and ask away.
icon_welcome

Welcome and glad you found us! feel free to ask anything; the only protocols are up in the 'getting started' section and there's little I don;t allow here except some sensitive discussions about breeders; the selling of puppies; or discussions on how to go about breeding your own dog (the latter because a discussion board isn't the place to start, as there's so much responsibility involved and the need for personal mentoring. So joining the local breed club, getting into showing, and finding a mentor are the places to go for that expert information :) ).

We like any and all sorts of conversations and for the very rare times when people don't want to talk abiout cavaliers, we have our online pub for all other topics! :lol:

Welcome to the board, we have great people on this site who have experienced everything so shot away with questions...

Back