• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hide/ rawhide chews

beef chews

Guess I'll make sure my chews are US made!

What a :( site - I couldn't bear to read it all. Just too many sad stories.

Sheri

Nicki

I don't have the package of those hides I sent you for the boys, I hope
those are safe.
Let me know ???????????

lulu

I was eating when I opened that site............ugh, snacking infront of the computer. That was just awful to see what goes on.

How can companys get away with making those? surely there must be legal requirements as to what they are made from?

I checked all my labels on our chews this a.m, all safe, phew!

Sometimes our eyes need opening to the cruelty that is all around.

Although not nice, Thank you Nicki for taking the time to make ua aware by posting that up. I am spreading the word to try to ensure that others check their dogs chew contents.

Alison, Wilts, UK.

Our breeder told me not to give any rawhide chews, that they can cause intestinal blockage. What kind do you all use and have you had any problems with them? My Byron loves to chew on stuff, but I haven't been giving him anything because the edible ones he tends to chew down then swallow whole, and he won't bother with a Nylabone.

that was the most hororable thing i've ever read....the only chews King chews on r the Merrick flossies, the Booda Velvet bones, and chicken filets....otherwise he chews on chew toys....thats it!!! never did rawhide and never will....heard 2 many bad stories bout dogs n rawhide....

that is so sad. :(

the lady i got zack from warned me not to use rawhide, same reason as byron's breeder, dogs getting hurt by them, she recommended bully sticks.
pressed hooves is long lasting and fully digestable and only breaks off in small crumbs, at least that's what the pet store person said.

That is terrible. I do buy rawhide chews for all 3 of mine, the ones that are shaped in knots. I will have to check packaging and see where they are from. I have never heard of anything like that before, it is so sad.

Lulu don't worry darling, the treats you sent us are fine...the bully bars are ok, it's just rawhide that's the problem.

Over here it tends to be sold loose without pcakaging, so it's very hard to tell where it came from...so we will just not be buying anymore. I too have had problems with it in the past, my Westie was choking and I had to put my hand down her throat and remove a piece.

On the odd occasions they have had rawhide, I supervise them very carefully and take it away when it gets to "swallowable" size.

We use Nylabones, air dried pigs ears and tripe sticks, and bully bars . I keep the Nylabones in an airtight plastic tub with everything else so they pick up the smell which keeps the dogs interested - we change them a couple of times a week - wash and dry thoroughly then put in the tub for a few days.

We also give dehydrated sweet potato chews, Linda sent me some wonderful ones - Uncle Sam's Yams. Unfortuantely you can't get commercially prepared ones in the UK, so I'm looking at getting a dehydraotr to make my own - does anyone have one, I think Maggie maybe had one?

Sorry I know this was upsetting, but thought you'd rather know.

There is this:

:yuk:

I keep the Nylabones in an airtight plastic tub with everything else so they pick up the smell which keeps the dogs interested -

That's a great idea -- must try that. Mine have never liked nylabones much.

Nikki
i dehydrater sounds lik a good investment...u could make ur own Sam's Yams, also other dehydrated snacks...mayb i should look into that..King loves the Sam's Yams Bichon Fries... so much better and healthier then rawhide

That's absolutely awful.

We stopped giving our pup rawhides because our vet wasn't convinced about them, particularly for puppies. He recommended dried pigs ears instead. Aggie had hours upon hours of fun and chewing with the pigs ears. The vet said it was good for her teeth and better for digestion than rawhide. :yuk:

That's absolutely awful.

We stopped giving our pup rawhides because our vet wasn't convinced about them, particularly for puppies. He recommended dried pigs ears instead. Aggie had hours upon hours of fun and chewing with the pigs ears. The vet said it was good for her teeth and better for digestion than rawhide. :yuk:

We stopped giving Byron the pigs ears or beef sticks because he'd get very agressive when he had them and growl at anyone who came near. He doesn't do that with rawhide or booda bones.

Actually Aggie started getting a little aggressive with my fiancé when she had the pigs ear, but we took them off her and ignored her for a while and she stopped that quick smart. I think t 8) hey just need a little reminder as to who's top dog. I used to pretend to eat out of her dish before I'd give it to her, or move it around while she was eating (the vet recommended this). She became much more easygoing around the pigs ears after that

Back