• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Holiday by the Sea

Angela

Hi everyone.

Well with all the very hot weather we have been having here in Ireland we decided to spend the weekend at the seaside down in Tramore. My 9 year old daughter loves it there and we were sure Joey would love it too. We had some lovely strolls along the beach and we were very pleasantly surprised at how great Joey was off lead. He would run around at top speed but always stopped just to check we were still there and then he would run back over to us. He loved it and we enjoyed watching him have the time of his life as he has never been off lead before. I also couldnt believe how many tri colour cavaliers we bumpbed into down there. We see the odd blenhiem cavalier around where we stay but very rarely do we see a tri. Down in Tramore there seemed to be loads and it was funny how all us cav owners stopped to say hello to each other and pet each others dogs. I thought that was really nice. Well i took a few snaps and i wanted to share them with you. After the weekend the first thing i done when i got home was give Joey a bath. I couldnt wait to get the sand off him. Obviously it was irritating him a little but after a bath he was as right as rain. Hope you enjoy them.

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0750.jpg

Oh that's wonderful - looks like Joey had a great time at the beach.

It's good that he is coming back so well - do you have anywhere locally where it is safe to let him off? I do think they need to learn to come back whilst they are still fairly young...

Thanks for sharing the photos

Hi Nikki

I dont feel i have anywhere locally that is safe to let Joey off his leash. I just would never want to take the chance. I was even terrified to try down at the beach but it is such a large beach and the first time we done it was in the evening so the beach was empty. Like i said i was so pleasantly surprised at how good he was. He always came back even without calling. I am going to go looking for somewhere i can let him off locally as he had the time of his life. It was wonderful to watch.

He looks like he is having a great time - I can't wait for my lot in August to get onto a beach.... b*n*n*

Great pictures. He sure is a cutie. Reminds me of my Jake with all of that black coloring. Love him.

Hardly looks like Ireland in those pictures; we are getting used to hot weather and sunshine after 10 days of it now!! :) Joey's very cute too.

To feel more confident with him, you could work on recall with him -- using a very long piece of rope or get a long line that you can snap like a very long lead -- and call him and reward using food treats when he returns (never punish or scold for taking too long to return -- as then the dog gets the mixed message that returning is bad not good!). Do this every day so that he gets as close to 100% reliable as possible. Using an extensa lead and recalling while on walks in say a park, so there's no risk of traffic nearby, is a really good way of letting him get the sense of freedom and practicing recall but also having him secure.

I carry food treats on most trips to the park and always do some practice with the dogs. It is the single most important commend so good to do regular refreshers! You want him to come to you even when other things -- dogs, birds, children -- are more interesting to go to.

:)

could could never do that wit King....wit all the ppl he would b havin the time of his life and not listen to a word of me...porb the only thing to get his attention would b FOOD!!!!! his chicken fillets would get his attention...i hav a dog park near us that i could let him off leash

I swear Joey is smiling in your first pic. :) What a wonderful doggy mom you are to have taken him on a vacation. I can't imagine what it must be like to let your dog run on a beach. Here in the middle of the US a lakeshore is as good as it gets. Did Joey like the water?

JaneB

What great pictures, isn't it a absolutely wonderul feeling to let
him free.

I posted a while back about letting Dudley off leash, he did great

I just have not had much time lately, but fully intend on starting it up again. I took treats, but I did not always give one so he never knew
if he was getting one or not.

He got so good, that after a while I did not even have to give him a treat.

Back