• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Grooming

Jen

For those of you who groom (clip) your dogs at home, what tools, table, etc. do you recommend?

Now with a 2nd dog that needs grooming as well, I've been thinking about giving it a shot myself rather than spending over $100 every 3 months. We recently aquired a dog bathing tub from a friend of ours (he's a realtor that had a client who left this tub after moving), but I still need a table and tools, etc. Our dog walker use to groom dogs, and I'm going to ask her if she'll teach me how to do Abbey and Gus. They both don't mind when I give them a bath or when I clip their nails so I figure that's 1/2 of the process, how hard can the actual trimming be?? I guess it depends on how nice you want them to look! :lol:

I have a grooming table I got from www.drsfostersmith.com that I like. Think it was a little over 100 dollars. It is so nice to have them contained in one place for brushing and nail clipping. Makes the whole deal go quicker and that is great with multiple dogs in line for their turn.

Mary said:
I have a grooming table I got from www.drsfostersmith.com that I like. Think it was a little over 100 dollars. It is so nice to have them contained in one place for brushing and nail clipping. Makes the whole deal go quicker and that is great with multiple dogs in line for their turn.

Is this the table you have? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=638&N=2001+113230
If so, is it pretty stable? Does it fold down pretty easy? We have the room, in our laundry room, but it would be nice to be able to fold it away as well. I see they also have the booster bath we got...except we got it for free! :p

I have that booster bathtub too! :lol: And that little red doghouse hairdryer - have you seen that in the catalogs?

I bought my grooming table, shampoo, conditioner, and other tools at dog shows. I've found that you can get all kinds of grooming advice from Cavalier owners who are showing their dogs.

My two females have thicker coats than my male, and I like to thin their hair out a bit so it will lay down (otherwise they both look overweight and they are not.) I met an agility enthusiast who has 3 female cavs, and she told me about the Mars Coat King #10 and #12 tools. I only use the Mars on my girls 3-4 times per year, and it really makes a difference!

Jen said:
Mary said:

Is this the table you have? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=638&N=2001+113230
If so, is it pretty stable? Does it fold down pretty easy? We have the room, in our laundry room, but it would be nice to be able to fold it away as well. I see they also have the booster bath we got...except we got it for free! :p

Yep that is the one Jen. I think it works pretty well. Folds up easy. The arm just clamps on with screws that makes it easy to adjust or move and the table is very sturdy.

Im quite upset....

Cloe on her last litter got in a bit of a state with her tail, and we had to cut the fur in the end as it was not salvagable....

now it has grown as a curly mass around the tail and no amount of brushing will fix it...

Max has the most beautifull tail... but i know with breed standard it should be held sstraight while Max lifts his like a happy pussy!!!!!

Lady seems to have a lovely flowing tail also...

I have noticed that my friend who gets his dog groomed, has this curly hair over the whole dog... he felt she was too hot in the summer so sends her to the parlour to be shaved..... do parlours not warn that doing this will totally ruin the look shape and feel of the coat and only make it thincker for the following year?

met a lady in the vet who was heart broken when her Cav was sheered by a grooming parlour and she wasnt told the affects she thought she was doing good, and now he cav looks like a poodle.

i cut my pets nails, but hate doing Ladys, as she is a ruby i cant see the nail.... so i tend not to do hers at the same time as the other two, incase i nip something...

i also do the birds!!!! do rabbits need doing?? LOL

Many breeders and show people say that shaving a cavalier will cause the coat to grow back in curly and cottony. I often wonder if this is the real cause (along with obesity) of coat problems that many assume is due to neutering.

Thinning tha coat (eg with the Mars Coat King) as far as I know does not result in this problem. A lot of people over here seem to totally shave their cavaliers though -- like the full body shave!!

I also think a lot depends on the dog's genes. Some people do shave the coat and don't seem to get curliness or coarseness. Maybe some dogs are more prone to have this happen after shaving. I'd like to see how many of those shorn cavaliers with curly coats that grow back, are also fat dogs, though. I think that is often but not always the most likely culprit! :shock:

this dog in the vets was totally shaven, adn when i saw here two weeks later the poor dog looked neglected but you could see it was much loved...

looked like a sheep...

maybe someone should do a study on the causes of this curly syndrome!!!

I might be able to help participate in that study. A friend of mine takes her Cavalier to the groomers every summer for a "summer cut". Just one time at the begining of summer. They don't cut the ears or tail but clip the dog to have a shorter coat. Not completely shaved, just a even trim of the entire coat. Her Cavaliers coat is beautiful when it is not shaven. Not curly or wooly. I decided to get Puzzle's a summer cut this year and I will now worry if she will turn into a curly, wooly sheep dog :yikes She seems not to pant as much and she didn't have a super thick or curly coat to begin with so maybe it will grow back alright.

There is also a condition called curly coat that cavaliers can get. It's hereditary and is usually accompanied by a host of other symptoms :(

If one of my Cavaliers strted to get a curly coat I would worry. Maxx has his coat clipped right down on his back and tummy as he looks like a wooly bear other wise. His coat is what's known as 'blown' and it's something that happens when they are neutered at a young age like Maxx was (not out of choice).

the only part of King i trim myself is his belly, anus, and feet/nails...when i got him clipped down 4 the summer months i brought him to my boss to did it 4 me....(i brought him a pic of a cavalier that had the look i wanted and he doublicated it) as far as tools/shampoo is order my stuff from www.petedge.com i dont bother wit a table cuz i really dont hav the room so i use a large tub/wit lid....he just stays and lets my groom/dry him...i use the little doghouse dryer, it really works...but King loves bath time :lol: he was shaved down to look lik this
171643756_d756b5a4fe_t_d.jpg
(minus the booties) bac in March and his coat has already doubled in lenghth...but i like him longer but my mom thought he would b cooler...but its growing bac fast so he'll look like he did b4

I like the feathered look and only ever cut the ears to keep them in shape, Max had to ahve his chect shaved for an operation on his neck and its very wolly, not curly but loads of it, not feathered thicker then that!!

The lady i Mate cloe with.. well you know what i mean!!! icon_whistling
well she thought i had cut Cloe, but i hadnt she thought her coat was very short...

Max's coat isnt short at all, but that is all down to Genes!

another trait of these dogs totally off topic here, is how they use thier paws like hands.... One of the people who bought a pup from me rang me last night to ask me if Cloe or the dad used his paws as hands as her pup was amazing!! Cloe will pull you to where she wants you and your hands, and if you give her a bone, cant think of the name of them supposed to clean dogs teeth..... she actually holds it like a baby would hold a bottle!!!

Maxx is really good at using his front paws as hands too :D When he wants a rub he'll guide your hand to which part of him that he wants rubbed LOL They're really just furry little people :lol:

My own experience (and of course your mileage may vary! :)) -- Both Leo and Jaspar have fairly tight straight coats -- people guess they are clipped but I wouldn;t clip them ever as I like the long coat; they just have genes for very slow growing, tight coats I suppose. It makes them very easy to manage as they don;t shed very much at all, must of the length of their coat is the feathering while their backs are very tight and trim. Lily on the other hand is a tiny wooly mammoth. :shock: If she sticks around here I'd need a Mars Coat King as I'd certainly keep her coat thinned.

I have never found with any of them that they dirty themselves when having a poo unless they have the runs, so have never needed to trim away any hair on their behinds.

Jen I don't think trimming a schnauzer should be too hard once you get the hang of clippers. Especially if you aren't going for a real show look that must be done in such and such a way. If you have someone who is going to show you what to do and then maybe guide you through the first few times bet you'll have no problem at all.

PS I saw that petedge is having a sepcial on grooming stuff this week -- I get their emails.

karlin said:
Jen I don't think trimming a schnauzer should be too hard once you get the hang of clippers. Especially if you aren't going for a real show look that must be done in such and such a way. If you have someone who is going to show you what to do and then maybe guide you through the first few times bet you'll have no problem at all.

PS I saw that petedge is having a sepcial on grooming stuff this week -- I get their emails.

That's what I was thinking too, especialy because we don't plan on keeping him in the typical shaved Schnauzer cut, we like the more shaggy, terrier look. Abbey is who I'm worried about, she has a very thick, long coat that we keep trimmed up a bit. She may look kinda funny until I get the hang of it! :shock:

Jen i think the Schnauzer show cut makes them look silly. He looks good like u have him. but he will need trimming but u will get the hang of it. it took me a a bit to get the hang of it. my mom's friend has a snoodle who i've groomed b4, she wanted it just short kinda how Gus is but not as scruffy.

grooming

I had Sasha trimmed yesterday like the picture posted that King had his coat trimmed. It was short, but she sure seemed to enjoy it last night. She sat outside in the heat/humidity while I mowed, right in the sun! I think the groomer's thought I was nuts (i took the tiny picture in w/me) b/c I kept saying "don't shave her, just trim her short".

Anyway, I guess Miss Sophie wants her hair like the other two - she told me last night she wants a "tiny haircut" for summer too :roll: So, next week she's going in too even tho' I told her a short summer cut would make her look fatter. And guess what, she doesn't even care!!!!

Sheri

lol...my mom thinks its funny when i say that King told me that he wants something or he likes something a certain way...lol Like when i said he really likes his hair cut...she said how do u kno

You know because you are well tuned into him :lol: Funny, but I always know what Maxx wants. We test him sometimes by offering different things but he always wants what I say he does first off. Does that make sense???? LOL

Back