• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dew Claws

Linda

Might be a ridiculous question, but leave it to me to ask it.

Dudley's dew claws were removed before he came home, little Sassy Darby's were not. Do I just cut them like his other nails ?????
If I can get him to stay still long enough, managed to cut the nails last
week having a heck of a time this week.

He cries and cries and I have'nt even done anything to him yet.
I will be persistent.

Him and Dudley are truly truly starting to play together, what a feeling. :D :D :D :D :D

Wonderful news about them playing together!! Do you think it was just a matter of giving them time, for Dudley to get used to Darby being there and figuring out how to relate to him?

I dont' know anything about dew claws, i dont' think i ever had a dog that has them, but i am scared to cut Zack's toenails and will probalby take both him and Fluffy the cat to the vet and have them cut them, it will be worth it, it doesn't cost much, $5 or $10 by a technician. With Fluffy, there is no choice, we, my daughter and i, used to try to cut them ourselves but she got so violent, we were at risk of getting hurt, and more than once i cut the nail wrong and it bled, which really upset me, made me cringe inside and grossed me out, and the noise she made was something out of hell. she is a quiet cat, rarely vocalizes anything, and has a soft small meow. But when we cut her toenails, and it took two people just to have a shot at it, she made such a loud horrible sound, i hope i never hear it again. Now i live alone so there's no way to even try it. She bites and claws and screams and howls all at the same time. Very effective intimidation technique. :yikes

good luck!

From what I know, cavaliers only have dew claws on their front legs. People have different opinions about whether they should be removed or not. Generally, if they are removed, they are removed very early or during neutering.

Cedar's dew claws were not removed, either, and we just trim them along with her regular nails. she's never had a problem, though they are annoying to find beneath all that fur!

I have one with dew claws and one without. It takes me about 5 minutes to clip Maxx's nails but it took 3 of us nearly two hours to clip Charlie's as he got himself into such a state about it. I took him to see Uncle James (vet) last time and he did it with the help of me and a vet nurse in about 20 minutes :roll:

The dewclaw nails will grow around in a circle and can grow into the flesh if they aren;t ever trimmed so they do need trimming. That said they grow very slowly; I've never trimmed Jaspar and Leo's. They keep their claws well worn down from walks so I have never had to cut their regular nails either.

I also can cut Dudley's nails in less than 5 minutes.
It is the little red head that is giving a hard time, and the quik looks to
already be close to the end of the nail.
But I figure if I trim just a bit ever week he will eventually get used to it.

Going to the Vet on Monday so if I can't do it, I will get her to do it.

Karlin: I wish I had your energy to walk so much.
Then I would be much healthier myself too.

All ours have dew claws and we cut them all, they are fine with it - no struggles. I hold them and Darren cuts them, they are praised and get a treat for each paw.....

Claire

How do you manage with Daisy Boo, Darby's nails are white but the
quik look like it is right at the end but his nails are sharp.

I managed it just now, but you would think I was killing him.
My son was distracting him and I cut one nail it blled a tiny tiny bit just rubbed some soap on it.
He got treats and that helped, with Dudley he lets me finish and then he
gets his treats.
Darby has to learn so for now I will give him a treat for ever foot.

Funny the dew claws were easier, but that is most likely because he does
not have much fur right now.

I also think the more I get him used to snipping just a bit the more he
will co-operate I hope. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Hi Linda,
Was it me you were asking about Daisy Boo? I've never had to cut her nails either because she's walked a lot on concrete. I never tried though because I could not see the quick as her nails are black. The vet told me that they didn't need to be cut though.

Twinkle is another story, we had to get the vet to do hers once before we started walking her because she wriggled so much. Haven't had to touch them since.

I bought a clippers but never used it. I just tend to get the vet to check them now.

Joanna

joanna said:
Hi Linda,
Was it me you were asking about Daisy Boo? I've never had to cut her nails either because she's walked a lot on concrete. I never tried though because I could not see the quick as her nails are black. The vet told me that they didn't need to be cut though.

Twinkle is another story, we had to get the vet to do hers once before we started walking her because she wriggled so much. Haven't had to touch them since.

I bought a clippers but never used it. I just tend to get the vet to check them now.

Joanna

Joanna

Sorry I was calling Claire's Ruby Daisy Boo, always got that gal on my mind.

I can't get the Vet to do it Joanna as she is 1 1/2 hours away and I have
done Dudleys so I will get used to it.
Now I have to start brushing his teeth, I use cat clippers for Darby as they
are smaller.
Have not really been able to take Darby for walks till he has had all his shots. He gets another set this Monday and then in another 4 weeks.

Has he got black or white claws - if white claws is fine because you can see the quip, black you have to be very very careful, the vets recommended just using a file to do black claws if not sure....

Claire said:
Has he got black or white claws - if white claws is fine because you can see the quip, black you have to be very very careful, the vets recommended just using a file to do black claws if not sure....

Claire

They are white Thank Goodness, but the quik is right at the end and they are sharp. I just trimmed a tiny bit, if his nails are white now they
won't change will they ????????????????

They should stay the same colour (oh my lot have) if they are sharp (Ozzy's were very much so) we filed them or just had him running up and down the concrete path like a nutter. :sl*p:

With a sharp nail with a long quick, you could try a dremel. It's just a power file. Similar effect to walking a lot on concrete (without the human effort!). We use a dremel on Cedar's nails after they are trimmed with a clippers to smooth over the sharp angles and edges.

Moviedust said:
With a sharp nail with a long quick, you could try a dremel. It's just a power file. Similar effect to walking a lot on concrete (without the human effort!). We use a dremel on Cedar's nails after they are trimmed with a clippers to smooth over the sharp angles and edges.

Usually Dudley are a little sharp after a cutting, but it does not take long
for them to get smooth.

I just have not been able to take Darby on too many walks yet, until
he gets all his shots.

Especially on wkds, we head north.
Lots of wild cats, squirrels and such around.
The road are concrete so that will help, I will have to look into a dremel
can I just buy this anywhere.

I can hear him now, can't remember if the quik is usually at the tip of the nail on puppies. My breeder advised to trim just a wee tiny bit ever week
so he will get used to it. Last week he was fine, but I thought somebody
might call the police he was making such a racket.

The distraction of food helped, so I will continue that way until he settles.
Now I need to cut the fur inbetween his pads as it is already long.

Like some of the rest of you, I decided it wasn't worth the fight to clip nails. so I have my vet do it about every 6 wks. He clips and then uses the dremel as well to round them off. Even tho' we walk every night their nails don't seem to wear down as much as I'd like them to.

Both my girls have dew claws - and one of mine just screams when you try to do her nails. It's the only thing she has ever been naughty about. The vet has taken to letting her at least sit up when he clips her nails b/c she was crying so much when he tried to lay her on her side to clip.

Both of mine are also getting summer haircuts this week! First time so short - but hey, they seem to just love it!

Sheri

I have never had to trim Joeys nails either as he walks regularly on concrete but what i was wanting to ask was i hear you talking about the quik. Would i be right in thinking that the quik is the little red vien in the toe nail?? Would i also be right in thinking that you have to cut the toenail below that or it will hurt the dog?? Do you just clip it like you clip your own toenails with nail clippers. Can i do that with the dew nails as obviously they dont wear down on the concrete.

Angela
Yes the quik is the little red vein inside the nail, for those cavaliers that
have black nails you cannot see it so it makes it extremely difficult to
cut them. I am lucky that Darby's nails are white but they are still much
harder to cut than Dudley's ever were.

You have to cut the toe nail above the quik or it will bleed, if this happens then get a bar of soap and rub it on the end of the nail.

I have only had this happen to me about 3 times in 2 1/2 years, not bad.

Advise given is to cut the dew nails the same way, I use Cat Nail Clipper
for Darby and a regular dog clipper for Dudley.

My breeder used baby nail clippers, I feel more comfortable with the
cat clippers.

I would pretend you are doing it even it you are not, it gets them used to
it, I did manage after all to do it this morning.
Lots of crying and yelling on Darby's part, but he got through it and he will again.

I should have Linda do our nails -- there are 86 nails that get trimmed every three weeks and I usually hit one that bleeds. Yesterday I hit two- our foster girl had incredibly long nails and the blood had grown far down the nail. You can use an unlit match- or a styptic pen (men use them when they shave with a blade) to stop the bleeding. Sandy

Back