• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

DOG WALKING

yvonne

Hi everyone.
I'm back working full time and have to leave holly on her own for the day in the garden. It's killing me to do this.
I'm hoping to get someone to walk her for an hour a day for me.
Does anyone else do this? If so, what's the going rate and are you happy with the service?
Thanks - Yvonne

Yvonne:

This is a tough one but should be solvable. But most important: I would not leave her alone in the garden. There have been so many stolen cavaliers in Ireland; this has been reported as one of tha fastest growing crimes in the UK and Ireland; it is one of the main breeds to be taken from gardens, and they end up in very bad situations going by those who are eventually recovered. Some end up in puppy farms, some are stolen to order for people in the Uk who think someone is 'rescuing' the dog and then selling it; some are dumped on roadsides miles from home if it is realised they are neutered/spayed or just become unwanted. They can also be taken and used as bait for dogfights.

I would recommend leaving her inside, and getting someone to walk her midday; maybe you can get home to do this? Or a neighbour, a teen, an elderly person with dogs who might appreciate the income; whomever. There are also some dog walking services listed on irishanimals.com. A lunchtime walk would tide her over til you get home.

I agree with Karlin that you should not leave her outside on her own. There are too many things that could hurt her and the risk of her getting stolen or escaping are too great.

I'm sure you can find a responsible neighbor to let her out at least once during the day.

Best of luck and please let us know what you decide to do!

I checked the listings on irishanimals.com:

Waggy Trails
A dog walking and pet sitting service for South Kildare
PHONE: 0876351653

Guess you'd need to see whether you'd be too far away but she has a reference there for someone in Naas.

A retired neighbour who could let her out at lunchtime into the garden for a run and a wee might take car of the issue most days. Or a student?

Hi Yvonne,
I know how hard it is to leave them on their own but needs must sometimes. We have to leave Star on her own about twice - three times a week. I organised a great dog walker who advertised on the site karlin recommended and she comes and breaks up the day for Star with an hours walk. It's 16.50 euro a walk which could add up but I suppose that's the price you have to pay if you decide to have a dog and work full-time - especially these dogs cos they're so childlike.

I would totally agree with karlin about not leaving your dog in the garden all day. Not necessarily because of dog snatchers and more because these dogs seem to love being indoors and snuggled up. I would love someone in Dublin to set up a doggie creche where you could leave your dog for the day for a reasonable rate. My bro lives in England and he can leave his dog there for £10 for the whole day.

Ring some of the dog walkers listed on that site. If you don't get any satisfaction then put a notice in your local supermarket etc. Some of the people who offer cleaning and ironing etc would only be too happy to take a dog on a walk instead of being cooped up inside.

Finn

There are a lot of ppl near my community that walk dogs....they usually charge bout $15-20 a household and $5-10 for any addition dogs...i also kno of some places that watch dogs 4 the afternoon and its usually bout $10 an hr..never had King there...but i did have to kennel him for bout 5 hrs and believe the woman only charged me 10 bucks!!! i was like thats it but thats wat she wanted so i was cool wit it....King played wit her 2 beagles cuz i really didnt want King in the kennel she had set up for him and she was ok wit that....King just laid on the couch most of the time then played in the yard a bit wit her dogs....but one word bout leavin any dog wit any1 u should kno them and make sure they kno wat to do incase of an emergency, and other things...cuz i wouldn't leave King wit any1 w/o checkin their backround first

Thanks for your replies guys.
You're going to think i'm mental, but I'd love to get an au-pair.
(the fact that i've no kids may come as a surprise).
A friend of mind is hiring an au-pair. Live in. She's getting €80 pocket money a week. I'm sure they'd much rather look after a cute puppy than 2 kids :lol: If it's to cost me €10- €15 an hour to get holly walked each day. Might be worth my while.
icon_whistling

The guys in work are getting the paperwork ready to sign me in somewhere.

I think that's a great idea Yvonne - you get Holly walked and plenty of comany for her as well as getting your housework and ironing done too :lol: Just hope you can all live alongside each other :D

hi Yvonne, my Daughter would walk your dogs for you, depending on where you are, and if you are close by they could stay with us during the day as there is always someone in. she has to take my 3 out anyway, and your baby would ahve company.

give me a ring and maybe we can help....

If i had no one at home i leave the dogs in, but as i have 3 they have each other for company and i leave them water and toys, i live in castleknock and Cavaliers have been stolen from outside in my area. im even watching when i put them out for a pee!

Back