• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Trimming nails

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
My two boys keep theirs short from lots of walks, but Lily's were very long, so I just had a nail trimming session (which she did not like! But her nails were so long and curving that one leg kept getting caught in her ear hair whenever she had a scratch). I realised this is something I hadn't provided any info about in the Library so now there are some good links with pictures, on how to trim dog nails. :)

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2421

Well done Karlin,

This is the one job that many people flinch at because they are scared of hurting their dogs!

I have always trimmed my animals nails myself after my vet showed me how too. I couldn't belive it last night when Charlie let me trim his nails in about 5 minutes flat and on my own! Last time they had to be done it took me, Geraint (youngest son) and James (Vet) plus two vet nurses to hold him and it took around 45 minutes - that was an improvement on the first time that took Geraint and I 2 hours :yikes

I suppose it shows just how far we have actually come with him in terms of trust, bless him :l*v:

I have always done them myself,im slack tho, i ask them to lay down and try to treat it as a big sweet talk relaxation session- works for us! None of the dogs mind having them done at all, i think mainly because its always been nice together time and i've never hurt them.
When they are young i trim/file every couple of days so they are well and truly used to it by the time they get big enough to argue!

Yes I do mine too having 7 of the furry critters. Have for years. Once you get use to it ...it goes in a flash and the more you do it ....the easier it gets all round for you and them.

No I don't. Need to work on that. I have been neglectful in picture taking the past few months. No nothing current and together all in one pic...tee hee don't think I could manage that but it would be great. One is a collie who is 85 lbs, then there is the basset who is no taller than any of the cavaliers but at least 3 times their weight and then 5 little cavaliers who rule the roost! I need to work on getting some good pics for sure.

Thanks for the info.! I needed that second link - while India and Geordie have white nails, which are so much easier to cut, Chocolate is my first dog having black nails. I've been nervous about cutting them, but these photos give me a better idea of where to cut. :D

Thanks for the info. It's a job I hate doing and Chloe hates having done. Luckily it doesn't need doing that often as she keeps them short with walking. I was shocked once to find the end nail had got too long and had started to curl into the pad which must of been sore for her although she wasn't limping or anything, but it's that nail I always keep a close eye on now.

She also hates her pads being clipped too. Even though I purchased proper dog clippers just for this job she is scared of the noise they make although they were advertised as being quite for this reason.

Thanks Karlin

I have been cutting Dudley's nails for over 2 years, but I am a bit nervous with Darby but this definetely helps.
You are always looking out for us. :D :D :D :D

Great tip .. thanks Karlin ....

I cut Gizmo's nails. He's only ever needed the dew claw cut as all his other ones are kept short by regular walking/exercise ...

Charlie has dark nails and I'm sure when the time comes, this reading will be put to good use....

Darby's nails are mostly black, when he first came home they were white.
I will just have to be super super careful.
I did cut them, but when I went to the Vet she cut a little more just comes so natural to them. The black ones are a bugger, she said to just pretend even if I am not cutting them so he gets used to it.

I am so so happy you posted this thread Karlin.

Back