• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

hi im new from dublin

DEE1982

Hi

just joined this discussion board today, im from Dublin and have just bought a king charles pup, i need a little help though, i never had a dog before and i want to do what i can to keep "max" happy.

he is 13wk old, should i keep max inside or outside, what is the best way to house train him, what is the best food to buy for him, i got a food from my local pet shop but his poo is a little runny is this down to the food? i also noticed that his left side is a little swollen looking compared to his right side does any one know why this would be?

id really appricate some help and i really hope to make some new friends from here

talk soon

dee

Hi Dee,
Welcome to the board. The first thing you should do is bring him to the vet for a checkup just to make sure everything is okay. The swelling might be worms but the vet will confirm that for you.

What are you feeding him at the moment? I feed Royal Canin and James Wellbeloved. You can buy both in Petstop Superstore in Blanchardstown.

Toilet training is straightforward enough if you are home all the time. If not you should paper train. There are lots of threads on this board with advice.

Cavaliers are a house dog, they love to play in the garden but they prefer to be inside, especially when you are out.

Joanna

Hi Dee
Has he had his injections or been wormed (via the petshop?).

Best thing to do as Joanna said let the vet thoroughly check him out - did the petshop give you a sheet on what to feed and how many times so you could carry on when he is at home - at the Forum Index at the bottom Karlin has placed some detailed information which should also be useful - or just ask more questions and you will always get answers.... best of luck, hope he settles in.

hey,

There is all kinds of exciting information available from Karlin (a Godsend!) on the forum. If you just scroll down to the bottom there is information on caring for your cavalier and all of that stuff. Also there is information on toilet training in the training forum. Good luck with Max and keep him inside all the time!

just to clarify I meant don't leave him outside alone to live or anything. Just take him outside when you can supervise him all the time.. you know what I meant, right? ;)

tks guys for all your help i will defo take him to the vet to be checked out. i bought him from a place that breeds cavalier dogs and she has been so helpful to me so far, max and been wormed and has all his injections before he was handed over to me, she did give me the other half of the worm tablet and told me to give it to him in a few weeks so i think i will mix it with his food to nite.

my local pet shop just told me to give 1 handful of "nuts" 3 times a day and mix it with hot water, i think i will go and by a bag of the Royal cain and see how he goes with that.

im so glad i found this site its been so helpful so far and i have already added it to my favorites thanks again for all your help :thnx:

I am actually considering switching Kosmo to Royal Canin as I've heard wonderful things about it. Just be sure when you switch max's food to do it gradually so you don't make him sick! My vet suggests a 10% increase in new food per day (so first day 10% of new food 90% old, 2nd day 20% new food, 80% old) up until the 10th day then you'll reach 100% of the new food and he should be good to go. Let us know how it goes! :)

Welcome to the board Dee ...
We have our two on Royal Canin and it works a treat for them.

Good luck with training max ... they learn very quickly so enjoy the puppy stage for as long as you can ....

Hi Dee and welcome.

It does sound a bit like worms so I'd definitely give him the rest of the tablet if you haven't already done so.

Also get him checked over by your own Vet. Did the breeder give you a vaccination booklet? You should have one if he's been vaccinated, so, if not then ask her for it.

I feed my two on JWBeloved and it's excellent. I add hot water to 75% of it and make up a wet food then add the rest to give a bit of crunch :flwr:

Good luck with him and pics ASAP please :lol:

Hi and welcome! :)

Cavaliers are definitely an indoor dog and are one of the dogs often stolen if left outside in Ireland and the UK (there has been a huge rise in stolen dogs in Ireland in the past year) so to be safe, don't leave him out unless you are there supervising. They are also a dog that is hopeless anywhere near traffic so be sure to always have him on a lead outside if the area isn't safely fenced.

There're lots of articles and links that will help answer your questions, too, if you have a look at the Cavalier Library section of this site.

Also -- your email address is bouncing emails back to me. Can you go into your profile and make sure it is correct? If you don't want it displayed you can choose to keep it private but if it is an incorrect address, it means I get any emails sent to you bounced back to my inbox. Thanks! :)

Back