• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about showing

mlc4140

I have a question, since I know nothing about showing or agility or anything. Can you train and enter your dog in agility if it has limited AKC papers? Don't mean to sound "dumb" in this area but I really don't know anything about this. I would love to take her to training for agility and enter her down the road but wasn't sure if I would be allowed to or not. Any advice and comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can show your dog in AKC agility with a limited registration, as long as the dog is registered with AKC. There are other agility venues that you can also compete in: Canine Performance Evenets (CPE), US Dog Agility Association (USDAA), Teacup Dogs Agility Association (TDAA), and others like NADAC, etc. They all have websites. There is an excellent agility magazine you can subscribe to called Clean Run.

My male cavalier, Geordie, is registered with the first 4 venues I listed above. He is 13 inches at the withers, so he is in the 12 inch class. In USDAA, he would have to jump 16 inches in their championship class, but I will only show in in the performance class at 12 inch jumps.

One thing you should know - AKC allows dogs to begin to compete at 1 year of age, but I would wait until the dog is 18 months old to jump at full height!!! You want your pup to be fully mature before competing, or you could damage his hips!!

In fact, when Geordie was one year old and we started beginners agility classes, I made sure the jumps were set at 6 inches to avoid stressing his joints.

Right now your puppy is too young to go for long walks or to be doing any jumping or much running. His little joints are growing, and too much exercise can cause hip dysplasia. But you can reward (click and treat)him for approaching, sniffing, and pawing agility equipment, which will make it easier for future agility training! My pups took a puppy class called L'il Sports, which introduced a teensy bit of agility, flyball, and rally-o.

Thank you for the information. I let her run in the yard, is that too much running. We take her on short walks, around our sub division, actually only part of it. Is this ok for now or do you think its too much. I knew I had to wait on actual training her yet for agility because of her age, but didn't know when I could start so I really aprreciate the information and will subscribe to that magazine. I am glad to know also that I can enter her on limited papers. I think it will be fun for us to do something like that together.

I just checked two of my cavalier books that were published by UK breeders (John Evans, Sheila Smith), and they recommend not walking a puppy until 6-7 months of age. It's ok to put a light lead on a young pup and let the pup walk around on a lawn, according to them. Our breeder recommended the same thing.

You may want to ask your breeder and your vet and make your own decision based on their recommendations. I can't remember your puppy's age!

Playing is considered fine as well. What isn;t recommended is long walks that put repeated stress on the joints, espeically if the walks are on pavement. Play tends to be lots of stops and starts, a bit off running, but nothing that keeps the same impact happening over and over on the joints.

My pups took a puppy class called L'il Sports, which introduced a teensy bit of agility, flyball, and rally-o.

That sounds like such fun to do with puppies!!

Back