• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Chewing ears

blue_star

Archie our Black and Tav Cavalier has a habit of walking around with a piece of his ear in his mouth, or rather hair. We have tried cutting the hair short but some how he still manages to grab a piece. He does not seem to try and bit it, just holds the piece of hair in his mouth.

Needless to say it makes his ears look rather un-attractive.

Anyone had similar problems.

Blue Star

yes I do - or worse they drag each other around the house by the ears :sl*p:

I spray them with "bitter apple" to discourage them from chewing on them. However, you need to watch that when they drink they do not soak their ears in the water and make their water taste bad :(

so far - it has worked well for us :D

Molly gets her ears in her food if I do not put her snood on before she eats. Then she lays on her side with the end of her ear in her mouth and chews on it. Makes her look decidedly raggy. The snood stopped the problem, and now her ears are long and pretty again.

I think I will try the bitter apple trick as Abby loves to bite Molly's ears and tail. Maybe that will discourage it.

I've read a breeder's post about how one of her ear-chewers chewed off all the long hair on a star dog days before a show, rendering it unshowable!! :yikes So it definitely can be a problem sometimes. Some seem to chew their own ears, while some chew others. :yuk:

LOL Maxx chews his own ears if he gets food on them but Charlie chews Maxx's ears as well :roll: I'm surprised the poor guy has any ears left - especially after the groomer scalped him :yikes

At the risk of sound foolish what is a snood???

Maxxs mum did you recive my message as my computer has been playing up??

Blue star

Hiya, yes I did and I've now replied - sorry i am a nightmare for reading messages and then not replying for days :roll:

A snood is a little cap that confines their ears so they do not drag in their food. They are really just a tube with elastic at both ends. They slip over the head keeping the ears inside the tube.

Ahh right i see, i did do a search on the internet to about them. I suppose an old loose hairband would do just a good of a job right?? As i have a few that are no good to use now and was going to throw them out.

Where would i get bitter apple from then, the only thing is Archies ears are very long and like someone mentioned earlier if the ears drag in the water it can make the water taste bad.

blue star

Back