• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Phoebe spayed , her baby grow and new snuggle puppy!

brid kenny

Well today was d-day for Phoebe. She was spayed this morning.
She's had 2 seasons already as I was very reluctant to spay her for a number of reasons. However I decided it was the most responsible thing in the end.
She's home now and sleeping. She was given the cone at the vets and in the car she tried to take it off. She wouldn't move for me in the house when I brought her in.
So I took it off and put a baby groe on her. She seems more comfortable now.
I must say this is very stressful watching her go through this.
How did other people feel during this?
Brid.

She'll be zonked today due to the anaesthetic but back to normal by this evening or tomorrow.

A spay is actually many times less stressful to a dog than a pregnancy; and heats themselves are also very stressful to many dogs as they are in a high state of agitation for several weeks.

The cone is probably the most aggravating element of a spay for a dog. I don;t know why so many vets routinely use them. Mine always offer one as a 'just in case' but I've never had to use them on dogs or cats. Just keep an eye on her to be sure she isn't too bothered by the stitches. :)

Lily/Lara will be off for her own snips in a couple of weeks, too.

You'll have to get a pic of her in the babygrow!

Oh Brid, here's hoping Phoebe recovers quickly. They are amazing. Our Katie was just spayed last week (at 18 mos. old). She was alittle quiet the next day. After that, it was hard to keep her down! She was back to wrestlemania with her "brother" like nothing ever happened. My DH carried her on the stairs for 2 days. Then she went racing down 2 steps at the time so he figured, OK, you're back. We have tried to keep her from jumping, etc. Fortunately, she has left her stitches alone. I think it hurts us more than them. Feel better Phoebe!

Oh Brid,

We need pics of her in her babygro :l*v:

Honestly, those collars are awful :| My furbabies have never needed them either. Can you imagine walking round with one on your neck all day long? How uncomfortable :yuk:

Alison had her little sheltie spayed a few weeks ago and you'd never have believed it. She was running around like a madhead not long after & her scar is lovely and neat and quite tiny.

Hope little Phoebe recovers quickly & is soon up and about again xxxxxx for her.

P7080040.jpg

She looks a bit miserable!!
Ah well it's for her own good!

I agree with Sandy but she does look cute in it too. She just looks like she doesn't want her picture taken, Mamma ;)

She looks so solemn! But then it isn't the most stylish outfit, is it? :) Definitely looks comfy though.

The scars are so small that it is actually very hard to tell if a dog has been spayed or not when a female rescue comes in and there's no known history for the dog. Even vets can't usually find the scars.

Brid, what a terrific idea! so much better than a cone collar. Hugs and kisses to Phoebe. Feel better soon, darlin'.

Brid, I think I know what you're going through. India was so pitiful when she was spayed at 7 months - I felt very bad that she had to go through that. She did not feel well. Our vet wanted her activity restricted for a few days, too, with no jumping or stairs. I actually got my sleeping bag out and slept on the floor with her, she was so poorly. :(

I have never had to put a cone shaped collar on my pups. I put a little baby shirt on India, too. I just watched them closely, and the vet said to spray Bactine first aid spray with pain reliever in it on the sutures. It will keep the sutures clean and dogs don't like the taste, plus it won't sting.

I was so lucky with Chocolate, my black & tan, who was almost 4 when we adopted her last December. She had one litter, then they discovered a slight heart murmur, and her owner (a GOOD breeder) let us adopt her as a pet. Our vet now offers laparoscopic spays, and that's what Chocolate had. She had tiny incisions, and was back to normal in 3 days!

I hope Phoebe feels better soon! Give her snuggles and kisses from me and my three! :flwr:

Oh Brid,

I much prefer her pink babygro :D :flwr: She looks so comfy all cuddled up with her snugglepup. I hope she's soon feeling better, bless her. Give her a kiss from me, poor puppy :flwr: :lotsaluv: xxxxx

She looks so cute and comfy - you couldn't be doing a better job taking care of her! :l*v:

she looks so adorable, especially in the pink! If I'de have thought of it for Kos I would have gotten him one of them! the pink one is sooo adorable. :) ANd believe it or not, she looks quite comfy! :) Take care! :)

Like Donna told you my little Sheltie was spayed three weeks ago.

When she returned home that afternoon it was like a flash of lighteneing had hit the house! it was all I could do to keep her quiet!!

Good job she knew sit/stays and down/stays! we played with plenty of them for the 48hrs afterwards, she healed lovely, never bothered with her stitches/scar and to this day, like all the rest remains the live wire in my home LOL.

I was previosly warned about Merles in collies being hypo....and this little girl is only just 5 kilo's and 10 inch to her shoulders...which is tiny for a Sheltie...and remains a challange to this day for me!

Alison, Wilts, UK.

The grow-bag looks great - Mollie had hers done the other week and she was running around like a nutter, we kept Ozzy away for a few days but kept trying to jump on the sofa to see him if we went past....

She looks so sweet in pink. She will be bouncing around and back to her old self before you know it.

Poor baby, her sweet, sad face makes me want to rush over and rock her to sleep. Give her hugs from this side of the pond!

JaneB

Aww what cuteness - the pink definately suits her..

When Ruby got spayed she had some new form of a spaying where they stitch from the inside and use disolvable stitches. She also had an injection when she got spayed that gave her 3 days of painkiller and 5 days antibiotics - all in the one go !

The next day, you would never have thought anything was wrong with her or that she'd ever been operated on. We still kept her in a pen for 10 days to stop her from playing with Bailey till she healed... she cried like a baby to get out !

Hope your little baby gets fit and fighting really quickly ! xxx

Back