• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

kennel cough vaccine

Harry & Heidi's mom

Hi,

In 9 weeks time i'm having to put harry into kennels while we are away on holiday, when will he need to have the kennel cough spray done??

thanks

Heather & Harry

You need to talk directly to the kennel. Almost all require proof (eg the vet's vaccine book) of the vaccine, in my experience. Usually they want it at least about a week before the dog goes in. Your vet can advise, too.

Yes, talk to your vet. They may want to give the nose drops and an injection, depending on the timing. :flwr:

I was just reading yesterday that the nasal spray takes effect quickly, it can be done 'last minute' and be effective, although various kennels may have their own time frames. What i was reading said the shot is considered effective in two weeks. It was said that the nasal is shorter acting, immunity lasts longer with the shot.

By the way, a few months ago i had called, out of curiosity, to inquire about a local residential dog training program--the dog stays with them for *SIX WEEKS* wow, that's long, you can visit the dog but can't take them home. And it costs $3600! On their website, they list all the movie stars who have had their dogs trained there.

Anyway, I told her that Zack hadn't had a rabies shot so i would expect he couldn't be in the program, but she said the rabies shot was not required. She said bordatella was absolutely required.

I imagine her not requiring rabies immunization is because we haven't had any rabies around here in so long, i didn't ask. But the bordatella was necessary. Still i was surprised about the rabies.

Heather,

If you can get Harry to me then he's more than welcome to come and stay with my two whilst you are away on your holidays. Just email me if I can help out :flwr: xxxxx

Hi Donna,
i'm not sure how far away you are, but if i can sort out transport thank you for the offer,

and i can't imagine harry being any more spoilt!!!! :yikes icon_whistling :lol:

Heather,

I've just checked the Autoroute and from my house to N-O-T it is 3.5 hours and 235.9 miles. It might be too far for you but the offer is still there and you might feel happier with him being in a home environment than being in kennels.

Just shout if you need me :flwr:

If you can avoid the kennels in anyway, I'd suggest it. I left Caden at a very reputable kennel associated with my vet for about a week. He developed kennel cough, was treated with the traditional antibotics but for some reason he was unresponsive. Long story short, he ended up developing pneumonia so that required a trip to the special vet center at Auburn U, an ultra sound, and myriad of other expensive treatments. It was very scary, we didn't think he was going to make it. Thank God he has recovered 100% but I'll never leave him in a kennel again, he was current on his vaccs and still got sick!

danielle said:
Thank God he has recovered 100% but I'll never leave him in a kennel again, he was current on his vaccs and still got sick!

Sorry you had to go through all that, thank goodness it had a good ending.

I was reading about the kennel cough vaccine, the bordatella one. I didn't realize there are various types of bugs that cause kennel cough and bordatella is just one, although a common cause, but vaccination against bordatella doesn't protect against kennel cough 100%, as you unfortunately found out. Unfortunately, the period of immunity provided by the bordatella vaccine is fairly short, i think i read that it was from 6 to 9 months, so that to maintain immunity someone would have to vaccinate pretty frequently. I guess titers could be used to see if immunity was gone or not, so that before boarding in a kennel, a titer could be done, just to see. After reading your post, i think i would try to find an alternative to a boarding kennel if i could, like a family member or friend. How old was Caden at the time?

judy said:
How old was Caden at the time?
He was six months old. The severity of the situation was partly to blame on my vets. The persistant cough was first diagnosed as kennel cough, then I was told he had an enlarged heart and wouldn't live long, then that the "flap" that forms seperating where the air and where the food goes down hadn't formed so he was getting food where the air was supposed to go and vice versa. (I'm paraphrasing, to this day I don't fully understand that diagnosis). Finally, three vets later, it was determined the heart was fine, his "flap" was fine and after being blasted with a strong, special mixed dose of antibotics his pnemonia was gone as well!

wow. misdiagnosis can be so costly. It's a good thing you kept trying different vets. glad you found out what was really going on so he could treated successfully.

Back