• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

happy cav's

Vechkin

Hello All,

First of let me say this site has been a godsend for all the information from Cavalier owners. it really can give me a better feel for what to expect from mine. I currently dont have mine as of yet (he's only 2 weeks old) but the excitement is still very intense. Let me get to my point so i dont ramble off too much. We lost our family dog a very beloved cockapoo of 16 years of age. My family and i miss having a dog quite a bit its a full household myself, my girlfriend, both my parents, and a brother as well as 2 cats and a sugar glider. However its still empty without a dog. Ive been researchin cav's for about 1-2 years. However i am still scared of there health issues. I think its because i lost my dog and i dont want to put myself through that again, but its not fair to pass up years of unconditional love for the the small time in comparison of pain. I guess im just looking for a little bit of assurance from cavalier owners that they are healthy dogs within reason when the right breeders are chosen. Thank you all so much for your help as well

Sounds as if you really have been thinking hard about the type of breed that will be right for you and your home. Of course, all of us on this forum are very partial to our Cavaliers. The following web info might be helpful. It is a bit cumbersome to navigate but contains tons of helpful info regarding genetic ailments common to particular breeds of dogs. It is posted on Nopuppymills.com. This is an excellent website/forum, has lots of good information regarding many topics.

http://www.nopuppymills.com/index.php?page=genetics

JaneB

Yes, think really hard about the health issues with Cavaliers. Ask your breeder for heart & eye certificates, ask about SM, and ask if your pup comes from clear parents or at least one parent SM clear with certificate of proof. If your breeder cannot provide the mimimum being heart & eyes these then find one that can.

Yes, think really, really hard.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Hello - I see that you are from Buffalo. So I am. I just joined this web board in April and it has been great in assisting me with all the questions I have. I have 3 cavaliers and I am waiting for a 4th one that is now 4 weeks old.

You said that you had researched the breed for 2 years and you have found a breeder. Did you make sure that your breeder does all the recommended health testing on the parent dogs? What are the ages of the parent dogs?

The reason I ask, is because on my first 2 cavaliers, I didn't do this. I took a local breeders word that her parent dogs had not problems and now I am paying for it. The 2 cav's I got from her have juvenille cataracts and my oldest one will be 3 yrs. old in August and just had cataract surgery on both his eyes. $2600 operation. But I love him and I would never trade him in. He can see clearly for the first time ever.

When I decided to get my 3rd & 4th cavalier, I really researched to find a breeder that did the health testing and abided by high breeding standards. I had to learn things the hard way. I already have dog #3 from this responsible breeder and I am anxiously awaiting puppy #4 from this breeder.

If you want to discuss my experience in more detail, since we live in the same area, please PM (private message) me. I don't want to trash a local breeder, but you should be aware of who sold me my first two dogs so that you don't make the same mistake I did.

Hello all

Thanx for the information. Yes the breeder i have found has them (puppies and parents) go for regular checks at a certified optamologist and cardiologist. I dont want to mention the breeder as I dont have thier permission and that would be unfair to do but thier in minnesota. My parents laugh at me because when we bought our previous dog we went to some lady's house picked out a cute one that looked good and she lived 16 years. So when i said about a cavalier they broke out the local newspaper and i humored them by calling around but if your phone message sells a motorcycle/dogs im not buying from you. I guess kinda what i was looking for from the post was for somone to tell me these dogs werent the collosal health risk of the dog world, but ive still made my choice i love the breed characteristics and i will love my new baby boy from the moment i get him til the moment his paw slips from me, and i know he will give me the same devotion which in the end is why we get dogs to begin with i guess

Hi Vechkin,

I hope you'll have many happy, healthy years with your new baby when he/she arrives.

It's true, there is nothing like a Cavalier & they adore us as much as we adore them - probably more :D

My two would even greet burglars, they love people so much :roll: :lol:

I am so pleased that you have done this with careful consideration and have also checked the breeder for health issues etc. So many people don't and at the end of the day it just encourages these evil people to keep producing more and more unhealthy pups :(

Really good luck with the little one anyway and plenty of pics ASAP to satisfy our puppy cravings please :flwr: :D

Back