PDA

View Full Version : Delayed plane, sad news



RockNRollCav
15th July 2006, 11:44 PM
So, in a series of unfortunate events (to borrow a title from a cute kids' movie...), I was unable to bring home Corgan today I'm so incredibly sad and disappointed about that, and furious with United airlines. :x Here's the story:

I was on a plane that was scheduled to depart at 6:10 am. After boarding, at about 6:45, they came on the loudspeaker to tell us that we're having a minor delay - it should only take 15 minutes more or so - and that they have to manually refuel the plane, and not to worry about connecting flights. As of now, all passengers should make their connections ("thank God", I think, because I'm supposed to make a connection, and only have an hour layover before my connecting flight leaves.).

At 7:15 they came back on the loudspeaker to say that they were still trying to refuel the plane and there were problems doing so. Should be another 15 minutes. :?

At 8:00, they allowed us off the plane if we were worried about missing connections. About 150 people got off the plane, and stood in line to talk to the lone agent who was "helping" people. I was 5th in line.

At 9:30, 3 people had been helped. I called 1-800-UNITED1 to see if someone there might be more useful. They told me that the earliest I could get to my destination city was 9:00 pm. I needed to be there by 5:00, so that didn't work. They said "Oh, well you could fly out of this other airport - the plane leaves at 10:00 and you arrive at 4:00" That would have been great, except that it takes roughly 45 minutes to get to that airport if I could have left the one I was at right away...remember, it's 9:30 and the plane leaves at 10:00. Ugh!

At this point, the "supervisor" comes on the loudspeaker in the lobby to inform us that they need a replacement part that is currently in another airport 1 hour from here. When it gets here it should take 1 hour, and the plane should depart by noon. :oops: The plane was scheduled to depart at 6:10 am. I had to wake up at 3:30 am to get there in time, and now they're saying it's "delayed"?! :sl*p: That is NOT a delay, it's a rescheduling!

Finally, around 9:45 they bring a second agent to the gate to try to help people. The first woman, by the way, woke up on the wrong side of the bed or something - she was incredibly rude. Anyway, I was the first person in line with the new, friendlier person, who promptly asked for anyone going to Ocho Rio to come talk to her. A mother who needed 6 seats walks up. Great, so they're going to have to find 6 seats to Ocho Rio before she'll help me. Her reasoning for doing this? "For Ocho Rio, it's now or never - if she doesn't get a flight now, she won't go today". Mind you, she hadn't yet asked where I was going, when I needed to be there, etc.

Finally, she found a flight for this woman and her 5 children, and asked me where I was going. I told her, and told her I needed to be there by 5:00 pm. She looked at me sympathetically and shook her head. She checked all the airlines leaving this airport, and said the earliest she could get me there was 5:55 pm. I called the breeder, who desperately wanted to head home by 5:00 to see her girls play in a softball tournament, and she said she could wait. What an angel! However, when I asked for a flight home that same evening, the latest one was at 7:00. There was no way to deboard a plane at 5:55, find my breeder and Corgan, check in, go back through security, and board the return flight by 7:00 pm.

So, in the end, I got a refund for my flight, and called my breeder in tears. She said that everything will be fine, and we'll find some way to get him here. The problem now is that airlines won't ship pets from her location because it's so hot - either we have to go get him and carry him in the cabin, or we have to find another way to get him.

My breeder's dad may be going out to visit her in 2 weeks, and may be able to drive Corgan back with him, and we are "on his way home". So, at the latest, assuming her dad agrees, we should have him in 2 more weeks.

Anyway, sorry this is so long. I'm incredibly bummed, and just start crying every now and then when I think about it. I was SO looking forward to meeting him today. If only I had called the United number earlier, or if they had more people trying to help us, I could have gotten a different flight, but alas, it didn't work out.

So anyway, please send good thoughts/prayers/etc our way that our boy gets here safely in the not-too-distant future.

Jenni

Charleen
15th July 2006, 11:51 PM
I am so sorry for your disappointment. I have just loved the pictures you have posted of Corgan and you have waited so long! I know it will all work out in the end, but it sure is a bummer to have to wait longer! :( :?

Karlin
16th July 2006, 12:25 AM
Oh, how frustrating! I can only imagine how exasperated and upset you must have been as the time ticked away. I hope the drive will work out and then you'll have him before long. Shipping in summer or winter is always difficult because of those rules on how warm or cold the hold is -- my parents ended up waiting about 3 extra months for their cavalier because the weather didn't warm up enough at a good time for the breeder to ship her, but the wait was worth it, as it will be for Corgan. :)

Mary
16th July 2006, 12:55 AM
I am so sorry about your delay. You have been waiting so long already. The weather here in the midwest is warm. 98 degrees here today in "cold" WI. There are ground transports that you could check into. Here are a couple I found. I looked into pro pet before and they seemed reasonable.

http://www.smallanimaldelivery.com/austin-small-animal-delivery.htm

http://www.doxieland.com/petshipping.asp

http://www.pro-pet-transports.com/index.php

Maxwell&me
16th July 2006, 01:25 AM
Where is your breeder?

I think I remember that she is in the midwest somewhere?
My gal pal fly's to Indiana often,( bi monthly) and travels to Regan Airport in D.C.....any chance thats about right?

RockNRollCav
16th July 2006, 04:13 AM
Thanks everybody! My breeder is in OK, and I'm in DC/NoVA. Anyone going on a route that way in the next week?! ;)

I've researched the pet shipping options, and we're considering it. It depends on when they can get him here...it is a little more expensive than the breeder's shipping option, but if they can get him here by Weds or something, we might do it. Thanks for the info, as well as the support!!

mlc4140
16th July 2006, 12:46 PM
I am so sorry about your delay!!! I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted.

Maxxs_Mummy
16th July 2006, 01:16 PM
Oh Jenni,

I am so sorry to hear of your nightmare. What is it with these airline companies that they think they can just mess people about?

I really hope you can get little corgan home with you soon but at least he's in a good place with his breeder and not hainging around in an airport holding room with very little human company :flwr:

Let us know how things go, won't you? :D

arasara
16th July 2006, 06:23 PM
Wow, what a day you had yesterday! Sorry the airlines are so rude all the time. They should have had to refund your ticket, PLUS give you something else. A scenario sorta like that happened to my parents on their way to Vegas and the airline not only refunded their tickets, they got to fly free the next time. Corgan will definately be worth the wait. I know you're dying to get him with you but I hope you can find comfort knowing that he's in good hands. (: Goodl luck and let us know what happens (:

QCS
18th July 2006, 12:27 AM
I don't understand - my LilyBelle shipped from OK last week via Continental. My breeder said he's had so many things go wrong with other airlines, that he will only use Continental. They also did ship her in an air conditioned cargo hold, since she was coming to Ontario, CA. Can't your breeder ship Corgan to you using another carrier such as Continental? I know exactly how hard it is to wait! :( Just a thought...

RockNRollCav
18th July 2006, 04:30 AM
I don't understand - my LilyBelle shipped from OK last week via Continental. My breeder said he's had so many things go wrong with other airlines, that he will only use Continental. They also did ship her in an air conditioned cargo hold, since she was coming to Ontario, CA. Can't your breeder ship Corgan to you using another carrier such as Continental? I know exactly how hard it is to wait! :( Just a thought...

The airlines (I called a few, but not Continental) claim that it is too hot on the tarmac while they're waiting to be loaded on the plane. All of the airlines I talked to have the climate controlled hold...

Also, I'm not entirely comfortable with having him shipped via plane (personal preference), just because I don't want to leave him in anyone's hands other than the breeder's and my own. I was trying to fly out and pick him up, and bring him back in the cabin with me.