• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Holly sleeping with me

kieron6

Hello everyone this is my first post on this site i have finally joined. I read all your posts all the time. I have a king charles female called Holly she is 7 months old and a darling. My question is should I let Holly sleep on my bed at night, she didnt use to right from the start we put her to bed in the kitchen with a night light on and for a while she was fine then she started getting really distressed when we went to bed crying and clawing at the door, we tried ignoring her night after night, also giving her a special treat as we said goodnight. After 5 weeks of this i let holly sleep on my bed one night when my husband was away which she loves, im on my own quite abit so now she sleeps with me quite alot of the time. When hubby is home she comes up with me and then when asleep hubbie takes her downstairs to her bed where she stays with no problems. Whats others opinions on sleeping with your dog? is this a bad way to raise them?. Thanks for any advice.

it seems natural to me that they would want to sleep with others, isn't that what they do if left to their natural inclinations? i kept zack in the kitchen when i first got him, in a crate, he was very sad and cried. I first tried keeping him in a crate in my bedroom but after doing it without any noise the first night, on the second night he kept crying and i have a neighbor's bedroom right over mine so i put him in the kitchen that night, and he has stayed there ever since although now has the run of the whole kitchen. i still think it would be better for him to sleep with me. Flea season just started so i'm not going to do that yet, bedrooms are upstairs and almost all the time, he is downstairs. but the day may yet come that i let him sleep with me. after the first couple of months, he hasn't done any whimpering or complaining about sleeping in the kitchen, but when it's time, he does not seem happy about going in.

Chester has slept with me since he was about 8 months old and he is great. Up to the point where he demonstrated that he was reliably housebroken he slept in his crate next to my bed.

My recommendation is to put Holly in her crate next to your bed and that way she will not get distressed and you won't have to worry about her having an accident during the night. The reason she was so distressed before was because she was all alone in the kitchen in her crate. Dogs are pack animals and you and your husband are her pack and she wants to sleep in the same room with you.

On the other hand, if you are sure she won't have an accident during the night while on your bed go ahead and continue to let her sleep with you guys! Cavaliers are top-notch snugglers and I LOVE having Chester to snuggle with at night.

Both of my girls sleep in the "big" bed with us. I can't imagine them sleeping anywhere else. As soon as I head toward the kitchen to get my glass of water to take to bed, they hightail it up the stairs and are waiting beside the bed. Once I lay down, I must lift the covers so they can burrow down to my feet. After a while, one or both may creep up and assume the Cavalier perch position on the pillow. What fun! How could you not have the little footwarmers in bed with you??? :badgrin:

JaneB

PS Of course, neither one of them is a bit spoiled. icon_whistling

There's nothing like the snuggles we get from our cavs.
Phoebe used to sleep with me but the room got far too hairy for me!!
So I put her back into the kitchen......nightmare!!
She scratched and screamed and never gave up.
So on the off chance I put her outside my room on the landing with my door closed and hey presto ...no problems since.

Of course you shouldn't let her sleep with you - as you will see, no one else does :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maxx has slept with us since he was a few months old. He wasn't very well and I was worried about him. Hubby brought him up to bed and that was it - seven years later he's still there except nowadays he has problems getting on and off the bed so he sleeps on his own special duvets - one on either side of the bed :lol:

Charlie sleeps in the kitchen but I think he prefers it. If we let him have the run of the house at night, he panics and pees on my bed :yikes . He tells me when it's bedtime at around 10.15pm and then goes to the kitchen and waits for me to take this bed through LOL

Hubby gets up for work at around 4am and then they both come on the bed for a cuddle until I get up - Charlie leaps up and bites my nose to let me know he's arrived and Maxx gets put up by hubby and snuggles right in to me just as he always has :l*v:

So all in all, yes, your cavalier should sleep with you if you're happy with it - why not? They are after all just furry little humans with paws instead of hands and feet :D

I let my cav sleep with us, or maybe I should say my husband started it the night we got her. He said she would be scared. She isn't scared of her crate or anything he just wanted her in bed with us, she has never had an accident nor has she fallen off or anything. She snuggles around my head or lays at our feet and does great all night. She is 10 1/2 weeks and at first I was afraid she would fall of and get hurt but for whatever reason she doesn't seem to wonder around and loves sleeping with us. It really depends on what your comfortable doing.

Rudy sleeps with us

My two shih tzus are noisy sleepers and we tried them in the bed with us and no one got any sleep. When Rudy came along, he is the youngest, he snuggled up and stayed so still that we decided he is a bed keeper! There is nothing more calming than snuggling a dog in the bed. Many a nervous person could throw away the antidepressants for a sweet snuggly puppy in their bed. Rudy started sleeping with us from the beginning but he will still sleep in his crate if he has to without too much complaining. I didn't spoil my chidren so I am making up for it with my dogs! :lol: :lol: :D

I sleep with my dogs in the bed with me. Even when they were small puppies. I am a light sleeper and if the puppy wiggles, I wake up and take it out for a potty break.

I tried what you are doing with one of my puppies and gave up. The puppy cried all the time and I got no sleep. Once the puppy was in bed with me, everything was peaceful.

My problem now is that the dogs are grown and 2 of them want to sleep on the floor at night and I want them with me on the bed. Oh well, they are all in the bedroom and very content and quiet. I guess they had to grow up.

Isn't that the truth Charleen. With the weather being so warm right now a couple of my heavier coated cavaliers like to head to the floor at night. I miss them...just doesn't feel right without them all snuggled round.

I broke the rule a few months ago after many years of "Dogs in the kitchen" at night time.....

Now I know what I missed all thoses years...oh yes take them to bed, love them for every second that you have them. If they snore it's fab, sends you to sleep!!! unlike hubby who gets a prod in the ribs LOL.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

We started off having Bailey in the kitchen but we moved house and everything was a bit all over the place for a while and i allowed Bailey in the bed with us - he couldn't settle downstairs again. I have managed to get him in his own bed in our room - he fires up on the bed when i say bedtime and has a snuggle with us for a while and then i say into your bed now and he hops in and the light goes off. It has been working fine in the warmer weather as he is too warm anyway but come winter again and i just know he will be under the covers at our feet!!!

Maria & Bailey

ps do whatever makes you all happy and allows you all to get a lovely night sleep!!

Alison_Leighfield said:
I broke the rule a few months ago after many years of "Dogs in the kitchen" at night time.....

Now I know what I missed all thoses years...oh yes take them to bed, love them for every second that you have them. If they snore it's fab, sends you to sleep!!! unlike hubby who gets a prod in the ribs LOL.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Told you - you know I'd prefer to sleep with Maxx than with hubby any night of the week :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Merlin was exactly the same. he cried the first night for about 15 mins - my other half coudn't bear it and thought the neighbours would complain! So of course he came upstairs on the bed - slept all through the night - no accidents and that was it!

Its true, now that its warm he will start off on the bed then about 10 mins later hes off downstairs by himself! to the kitchen where its cooler - but still in his bed. About 6 am he creeps back up the stairs as if to say he has been upstairs all night so you don't know how brave he was!

Winter will be back to the usual - straight under the covers and cuddle up in the back of dad's knees!

I agree with Maxx's Mum, do not let him sleep on your bed, like we all do.

That was clear, when whe got Bono, that he was not allowed too sleep in our beds. My father said that. One night, when my mum whas coming home from work, dad was hugging Bono, sleeping in the bed. His excuse was 'Oh, he was just so little and cute...' :lol: And from there on, Bono slept in the big beds.
But when we got Nóra, that had too change. That is no joke to have a 2o kilo dog on your legs when you are trying to sleep. And, she allso robber your bed-cover.
So, now they sleep in that little room that they have for them selfs, but sometimes, you just cant stand that look...

We sleep with Abbey and both cats, Gus is still kenneled though. Everyone shuffles around, but for the most part there is always one on the bed at some point. I can't imagine sleeping without them, just my personal opinion though. :)

Thanks everyone for all your advice it was just what I wanted to hear, I love having Holly cuddling up to me when Im alone, and im glad im not doing anything wrong.

My vote is most definately! I was the one that used to say I'd never let my pets sleep in my bed... that didn't last one whole night with Caden. And not because he was loud, he was such a good little pup and completely content in his crate but I couldn't stand it and brought him to bed. He likes to curl up in my 'nook' (I sleep on my side so he curls up right by my belly) and by the end of the night he ends up near my feet.

Jace, on the other hand, went straight for the pillow and likes to wrap his little body around your head and tucks his head in your neck. Which is great except for the gas, he only passes it while he's sleeping and having his little behind right by your face is not very pleasant. :lol:

I'd have thought it would be the other way around, Caden is the sweet one you'd think would be extra cuddly and Jace is the little bully (or Boss Hog as we call him cause he's a controlling tubby little thing).

King has been sleepin in my bed...better yet "OUR" bed since he was 6 months...at night when its time for bed i tell him "King go to bed" he runs to inside to the room then jumps into bed..and i wouldn't have it any other way

Toby has always slept in bed with us!
The first night that we had him, my daughter slept with him in her bed, but was exhausted in the morning, as she stayed awake all night checking in case he stopped breathing! :D (He was very, very tiny, perhaps the runt of the litter as he was the only one left when we went to buy him). Anyway, from then on, he has slept with us, firstly when he was very small across the back of my head (!) and now in between my OH and me - and with head on the pillow when he can manage it!
As others have said, in this hot weather, he does struggle out after 10 minutes, but still sleeps alongside me on the floor. He never leaves my side.
God, I love my boy!! :lotsaluv:

I know that when the winter arrives, it will be back to the usual squash, Jessie on one side of me, Toby on the other and OH complaining on the edge!!!!! icon_whistling

Back