PDA

View Full Version : Lily's weight check

Karlin
18th July 2006, 01:13 PM
Well, I am going in to the vet shortly to get Leo's prescription filled and will bring Lily to see what she weighs now. icon_nwunsure

Nicki
18th July 2006, 01:29 PM
Oooh everything crossed for you Lily :D

Karlin
18th July 2006, 03:52 PM
She's done really well!

When I brought her here, she was 8 kg or 17.6 lbs (and that was already after I'd been cutting back on her food for a few days, so she probably started at about 18lbs)

After two weeks she'd dropped to 7.8 kg = 17.2 lbs

Today she was 7.2kg = 15.87 lbs

So she has lost about 2 lbs in a month, pretty good for a little cavalier.

Looking at her I am guessing her normal weight should be about 13 to 13.5 lbs so she has another kilo or so to go. She still has no waist -- from above, she looks like the fat dog on Laura Lang's feeding manual page. But she actually has a distinct chest and belly now and you can feel her ribs at least slightly!

She's lost nearly a kilo in just under four weeks, so she's taking off about 1/2 a lb a week.

I was looking for a lb/kg converter webpage and up came this:

http://www.womenrussia.com/extopfaq10.htm

:yikes

nlg679
18th July 2006, 04:29 PM
Again, Karlin, you crack me up!!!
OF COURSE I had to check out the website :lol: !

NAncy
NJ

Maxxs_Mummy
18th July 2006, 09:46 PM
PMSL Karlin, what are you like? Russian brides, whatever next :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use this one....

http://www.diydata.com/information/metricimpconversions/calculator/calculator.htm

Not as much fun as yours though ;)

Jen
18th July 2006, 09:47 PM
Yea Lily!! :rah: :*nana: :rah:

Kingofthehouse86
19th July 2006, 03:11 AM
Way to go Lily!!!! b*n*n* she's a small girl...King's 18lbs and is at perfect weight...But we all kno u can do it Lily!!!!!!

Nicki
19th July 2006, 10:46 AM
OMG Karlin, what a site :lol: :lol: :lol:

TedBear's rather in love with Viola, 25 :flwr: :yikes

Better delete this one from the history so that hubby doesn't see it!

Well that's great news about Lily, she's doing so well bless her -I'm sure she must feel heaps better too.

1/2lb a week is great, now where do we sign up to book into the Karlin Fat Camp for People :badgrin:

Claire
19th July 2006, 01:03 PM
Way to go Lily and Karlin... that's great news.

Cathy Moon
20th July 2006, 02:23 AM
:lol: Yes, Lily's makeover at the K.L. Spa is coming along well - with her very own personal trainer and dietician! ;)

Karlin
10th August 2006, 12:59 PM
I weighed Lily at the vet's again today. To recap where we were:

When I brought her here, she was 8 kg or 17.6 lbs (and that was already after I'd been cutting back on her food for a few days, so she probably started at about 18lbs)

After two weeks she'd dropped to 7.8 kg = 17.2 lbs

Today she was 7.2kg = 15.87 lbs

That was on July 20th.

Today she is at 6.6kg so she has again dropped a little over half a kilo in just over three weeks, which is a good steady weight loss.

6.6 kg = 14.5lb

So she has gone from the vicinity of 18lb to14.5

She still is only just beginning to show a waist so I figure a healthy weight for her is about 12.5 to 13 lbs. She still has problems getting up onto a sofa for example due to the excess weight though she is now quite fit, getting plenty of walks. :)

At her current weight she is the same size as Leo, who is a very compact, solid dog.

joanna
10th August 2006, 01:28 PM
That's great news Karlin. Well done :thmbsup:

Karlin
10th August 2006, 01:47 PM
A major knock on effect of the weight loss has been the enormous improvement in her breathing. You might recall she snored constantly and sounded almost like a pig when awake as she grunted and snorted so much! :shock:

She now rarely snores and it is a quiet snore, not something that brings the house down as before (I literally could hardly work with her in the same room). She also doesn't make all the constant noise when awake. This breed already has restructed breathing because of its short nose and compacted skull, so folks, do consider whether your snoring cavalier is an overweight cavalier -- it cannot be very good for them to struggle to breathe if they don't need to. Snoring of course is also quite natural in the breed for some dogs, because of the short muzzle (Leo snores from time to time too and is very fit :) ), but do keep an eye on waists and consider whether too much weight is casuing some extra breathing obstruction for your cavalier. :thmbsup:

Moviedust
10th August 2006, 02:32 PM
I wish a diet would cure Willow's snoring!! Unfortunately, she's not overweight. She's just a piggy. I wake her up several times a night to get her to change positions. Works for a few minutes, then she falls asleep again. :roll:

Karlin
10th August 2006, 02:37 PM
Leo is like that sometimes. :lol: I think most cavaliers snore anyway -- but boy Lily is an example of how much worse it can become. :shock:

Moviedust
10th August 2006, 02:40 PM
Now that her snoring and snorting is under control, I'm sure she is even MORE pleasant to have about the house....... icon_whistling

Karlin
10th August 2006, 04:36 PM
I actually had to tell me neighbours what all the noise was... I was afraid they would think I was hiding away some man who they never saw, but who spent most of the day sleeping and snoring... 8)

Kingofthehouse86
10th August 2006, 04:39 PM
Lily sounds like she doin really great!!!...Due to the really bad weather we had here the last few weeks, King wasn't able to get as much exercise as possible so he gain a whole POUND!!!!! lol but since this week was so nice..we did a lot of playing outside (far away from the apartment) and he lost .5lb. He doesn't look any didn't from when he was 18 then to 19 then to 18.5, guess its all the fur...But since next week we are goin on vacation, King is gonna get the workout of his life...My aunt has 6 papillons and 1 mini poodle...5out6 of the papillons are very into agility so King will b running and jumping and weaving prob all week we're there...lol

Karlin
10th August 2006, 04:49 PM
Aaron you have to get some pictures of King surrounded by all those papillons and a poodle!! :lol:

Kingofthehouse86
10th August 2006, 05:51 PM
I will try sometimes they move so fast their like lil white blurs...lol and the poodle isn't to fond of King he kinda stays to himself anyway...but i will try..even though it will b kinda funny watching King try to see who to play wit first... :lol:

Maxxs_Mummy
11th August 2006, 11:16 AM
Whoohoo go Lily :*nana: Your new Mamma loves you and you're doing soooooooooooooooooo well :D Bet those furry brothers love you too :D :flwr:

sramirez
11th August 2006, 06:12 PM
Karlin:

Can you reiterate again what type of diet you had her on? I've cut back my Sophie's kibble(Reduced Calorie Natural Balance) and supplemented with fr. green beans/canned pumpkin/shredded carrots/apples. I still don't think she's lost much weight at all and she really, really needs to lose! (I keep telling her that we'd both feel better if we lost 10 lbs!)

Sheri

judy
11th August 2006, 09:17 PM
I wish a diet would cure Willow's snoring!! Unfortunately, she's not overweight. She's just a piggy. I wake her up several times a night to get her to change positions. Works for a few minutes, then she falls asleep again. :roll:

My parents started using separate bedrooms because of something like this.

judy
11th August 2006, 09:20 PM
I actually had to tell me neighbours what all the noise was... I was afraid they would think I was hiding away some man who they never saw, but who spent most of the day sleeping and snoring... 8)

:rotfl:

seriously, great work getting the weight off, i'm sure she'll reach her goal, will there be before and after photos, complete with waist shot?

It's striking, the difference it's made in her breathing. that should add years to her life. Good work!!

Karlin
11th August 2006, 10:14 PM
Can you reiterate again what type of diet you had her on? I've cut back my Sophie's kibble(Reduced Calorie Natural Balance) and supplemented with fr. green beans/canned pumpkin/shredded carrots/apples. I still don't think she's lost much weight at all and she really, really needs to lose! (I keep telling her that we'd both feel better if we lost 10 lbs!)

I'm feeding her normal kibble and the stews etc that I feed the two boys (I don't like low cal food for either animals or people -- just my own perspective. Life is too short to eat margarine and low-cal mayonnaise). She just gets *very small amounts*. She gets maybe a third of a cup of 'real' food a day plus some veggies -- frozen beans, or chopped cooked broccoli; veggie snacks like pepper slices and broccoli stems. She went from not being remotely interested in the veggies to hoovering them up. She gets a piece of dog biscuit about the size of my thumbnail as her 'good night' treat. She gets four walks a day with at least one or two a week being about minimum two mile walks.

I based how much food she gets on what my two eat -- about three fourths of a cup of food daily -- and what my mom's cavalier gets -- about a third of a cup. Her cavalier, Lucy, weighs about 13.5 lbs, which I estimated was in the region of what Lily should weigh (actually Lily should probably more around13 lbs or even 12.5, I'd guess now). Leo weighs about 14.5 lbs and gets more than double that amount of food as he gets lots of exercise and is young and has a good metabolism. Lily is far more sluggish, not least because she was so fat!

So it is a matter of

1) figuring out her metabolism -- is she gaining weight on what you are normally feeding? Maintaining weight? Losing weight?
2) figuring out what she would be eating to maintain her current weight.
3) cut that amount IN HALF and that's your dog's daily meal.
4) NO SNACKS except occasional veggie treats
5) more exercise

So if you have a dog who is barely shifting weight on what is currently being fed, then halve the total amount per day and give the dog at least one extra walk of 30 minutes daily or 30 minutes of fetch.

Consider feeding one single meal a day. When you are feeding so little the tendency , as Laura Lang says, is to add some more food because half of a little bit looks like nothing. Get a smaller feeding bowl as well so that psychologically you aren't tempted to top it up. Put the entire kibble meal into a treat ball and make your dog work to get the food. This gives extra exercise and makes the meal last longer and is fun for the dog. :)

From Laura's feeding manual at http://www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm :

As adults some Cavaliers may only eat 1/2 cup of food per day, others may eat as much as 1 full cup of food per day. I do not suggest feeding an adult Cavalier twice a day even though it is best for the dog. Cavaliers do not eat much! Half of very little is almost nothing! Nearly every owner I've known who tried to feed an adult twice a day ended up with an overweight Cavalier. When they try to divide 1/2 or 2/3 cup of kibble into two servings the amount barely covers the bottom of the pan--so they add just a little bit more so they don't feel as though they are starving their Cavalier. A little bit more every meal eventually ends up being a lot more! And their Cavalier becomes overweight. With one meal a day the amount looks to our eyes as though it is a half way decent amount and we are much less likely to add just a little bit more each day.

And:

HOW MUCH DO I FEED AND IS MY DOG OVERWEIGHT?
There is no way to tell you just how much your dog will need so far as quantity of kibble. Cavaliers vary GREATLY in their activity level. I know some 20 lbs. dogs that only need 1/2 cup of food a day and others that need a full cup or even more. I know some 10 lbs. dogs that only need 1/3 cup of food a day and others that need a full cup or even more. It is too dependent on the metabolism and activity level of each individual dog. You will have to use a hit and miss approach to figure out which amount is right for your dog. Try 2/3 of a cup to 1 full cup per day for an adult Cavalier over 1 year of age and watch to see if the dog is gaining weight or losing weight. Adjust accordingly. If they seem to be getting heavier, cut back. If they seem to be getting lighter, feed more. Also most dogs will need more food when the temperature outside is colder...

snip

HOW DO I GET MY DOG TO LOSE WEIGHT?
The same as humans--less food and more exercise!

Less Food: cut back to about 1/2 of what you had been feeding. If you are feeding kibble, take 1/2 of what you plan on giving your dog and soak it long enough so that it expands. Mix the dry in with the wet expanded food. The expanded food will help your dog feel a bit more full right after eating. Then add about 1/2 cup of green beans---fresh or thawed frozen (canned has too much salt) to the top and feed. The green beans are a very low calorie filler and quite good for your dog too!

If the dog isn't losing weight within 2 weeks, cut back on the food even more.

Some Ideas for More Exercise: try to take your dog for a walk daily, especially if you don't normally do so. If you can't do that for whatever reason, attempt to play fetch or whatever with your dog for 15 minutes a day. Tether your dog to you while you are working around the house so the dog has to go with you instead of sleeping on the couch. Try a buster cube with a few treats inside. That might help keep the dog busy for a bit. Throw the dog's kibble so it has to go and get it--either the treats or even the dog's entire meal.

I'm a tough task-master for Lily... 8)

Sunna
11th August 2006, 10:47 PM
Wow Lily is loosing weight sooo fast, well done :thmbsup:
Molder needs to lose weight, he was five years old when he comes to us and than he was fat but he has lost some weight now but still he needs to lose more! Can you tell me more about your plan?
What food are you feeding her on? How much food is Lily getting? Are you giving her the food in one or two meals? Is a part of her food vegatable or are you just feeding her on her food?
Sorry all these questions :oops: I just need some very good tips to get him to lose some weight. Many thanks in advance!

Cathy Moon
11th August 2006, 11:19 PM
:rotfl:

So glad to hear Lily is losing more weight! She's an adorable little girl, and really looks happy.

When she is at her correct weight, can we see a photo of her? I would love to look at her 'before' and 'after' side by side.

Karlin
11th August 2006, 11:44 PM
Hi Sunna -- some of the answers are in my long postjust above yours. She gets about a fourth to a third of a cup of food every day; I used to only feed one meal a day but now give them most of their meal in the morning and then a mini second meal in the evening because Leo has a problem with throwing up and the advice is to not have him have an empty stomach. I am testing this to see if it works for him.

I feed a dry food called James Wellbeloved at the moment but before that Royal Canin. I mostly give the dogs a homemade diet and add some dry food just to give some crunch. I make stews usually with chicken, or cook some ground beef and mix with vegetables. Once a week they get sardines mixed with dry food.

I am used to feeding a homecooked meal so have a good idea of amounts to feed my two boys. If they are getting a bit thin I feed more; if they gain some weight I feed a bit less.

There are some homecooked recipes in the Caring for your Cavalier section.

PS yes I'll post some before and after pictures. She is so shaggy though that it can be hard to tell her actual size!!

Karlin
11th August 2006, 11:51 PM
For a sense of how big she was, this is an 'above' view when she had been with me about a week, 10th of June -- she'd already lost some weight by then:

http://static.flickr.com/89/212789395_798ce0f321.jpg

And here she is looking up; about 12 days later, 22nd June, amd still fat but not as enormous!:

http://static.flickr.com/87/212791589_66d00209d0.jpg

Mary
12th August 2006, 01:24 AM
Lily...you are beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cathy Moon
12th August 2006, 01:49 AM
Wow, you really cleaned her up in just 12 days! By now she has got to be absolutely beautiful!

Cathy T
12th August 2006, 02:23 AM
Excellent job Karlin!! Wow, those pictures speak volumes. Great example of lack of waist. Way to go Lily!!!!

arasara
12th August 2006, 03:11 AM
Karlin,

If I travel to Ireland would you be willing to put ME on one of those diets?! Lol you've done such a good job with Lily!!

Are you keeping her?

Karlin
12th August 2006, 02:10 PM
I'm keeping her at this time, but not necessarily long term. If exactly the right family comes up, I will rehome her; probably to friends where I'd know her circumstances. I enjoy having three but I am not really in a living situation where managing three is necessarily what I want to be doing long term if there is a really good option for her, but we shall see.

Sunna
12th August 2006, 11:54 PM
Oh my god Lily is so beautiful :flwr:
Thank you very much for these answers :)

sramirez
13th August 2006, 06:31 PM
Thanx Karlin for the diet regime. I currently have Sophie on 1/3 cup kibble AM/PM supplemented with only froz. green beans/carrots/apples/little banana bits on occasion. At least 2 walks per day (I work 2 jobs so time is limited for me) but my daughter gets a walk in for her in the evening if I'm unable to. Unfortunately, with our triple digit temps of late, it's hard to get an evening walk in that she isn't about ready to collapse after 1/2 block. She gets so short winded that she can hardly go very far, and I'm so worried she'll just collapse on the sidewalk!

Since I don't think I can cut her kibble down much more, I definitely have cut out her daily snacks - in fact since my Sasha can't eat big treats of any kind, I have taken some soft treats and cut them in tiny bits - that's what Sophie is getting as well. I also have some type of popcorn (airy) treats that I give each of them half when I leave in the morning, very low in calories.

I'll keep at it - maybe getting a treadmill isn't a bad idea for the entire family :lol:

Sheri

Karlin
13th August 2006, 10:45 PM
Why not cut back to just the 1/3rd cup kibble once per day, rather than twice? That's all my mom's cavalier gets normally -- she weighs about 13.5 lbs as her normal weight, and that is her normal meal. That's also all I am giving Lily.

Also make sure there aren't supplements coming from unexpected places. I realised at one point that Lily was 'snacking' from the cat litter box. :yuk:

Then I suppose if there's still little change I'd want the vet to check thyroid, and whatever else might be relevant, to make sure there isn;t a metabolism problem making weight loss very difficult.

Kingofthehouse86
14th August 2006, 04:19 AM
Lily that's gross...no snacking from the litter box.

judy
14th August 2006, 08:13 AM
Also make sure there aren't supplements coming from unexpected places. I realised at one point that Lily was 'snacking' from the cat litter box. :yuk:

ooooh Lily, you rascal.
karlin, if i may ask, what measures did you take to keep that from happening?
and how did you catch on? was it the breath? :yikes

Karlin
14th August 2006, 10:47 AM
Well, the fact that she had sawdust cat litter around her mouth was a tip-off... :yikes :lol:

Actually my house is small and the litter box is in the bathroom and I could hear her banging around in there. It is very hard to prevent her going in -- because Quincy, one of my cats, has only three legs and the missing leg is a front leg (harder for them to balance than losing a back leg) my options are limited with the litter box -- I can't just put it up higher. I have a bucket as a kind of noise barrier so I can hear her is she tries to get to the box. Also I try to take out the poops right away. She tends to go searching when she can tell a cat recently used it.

A baby gate would work well but is a pain as I only have the one bathroom. Also you can buy cat litter boxes that have top entries and are built into a kind of dog proof box. If Lily stays here I may have to consider something of that sort.

Both my other dogs eventually lost interest in the litter box so I am hoping she will too.

She gets spayed on Wednesday BTW.

Nicki
14th August 2006, 11:07 AM
Oh aren't they just lovely...we used to visit friends with cats, and Rupert always dived into the litter tray...don't know why they find it SO appealing LOL

Good luck Lily for Weds, will be thinking of you both and sending lots of positive thoughts

Mary
14th August 2006, 12:43 PM
Doggies love kitty litter boxes don't they!! When I did have cats also I got a covered litter box and that worked well.

Karlin
14th August 2006, 01:09 PM
Mary that avatar pic is so funny. :lol:

A covered box works for jaspar and leo but Lily sticks her head right in and roots around for pieces of 'kitty roca'. :yuk:

Mary
14th August 2006, 01:18 PM
Well that Lily....a girl's got to find the food when on a diet I guess :D :D :D

Thanks Karlin....that is Scout helping me get ready for work. If sitting on the stool doesn't get my attention he jumps on the counter and watches me from there. What a boy....I think he is half cat!

judy
14th August 2006, 05:29 PM
...Actually my house is small and the litter box is in the bathroom and I could hear her banging around in there. It is very hard to prevent her going in -- because Quincy, one of my cats, has only three legs and the missing leg is a front leg (harder for them to balance than losing a back leg) my options are limited with the litter box -- I can't just put it up higher.

Me too, Fluffy is aging and has stiffness in her legs, her walking seems a bit difficult.

Also you can buy cat litter boxes that have top entries and are built into a kind of dog proof box. If Lily stays here I may have to consider something of that sort.

I've never heard of that. Do you know what they would be called, if searching google?

She gets spayed on Wednesday BTW.

maybe she have a smooth speedy recovery--good luck!

Karlin
16th August 2006, 11:00 AM
Well, Lily's in for her spay this morning! The vet just loved her -- last time she saw her was when she was at 7.8kg so she couldn't believe it was the same dog and how small she is generally.

She was weighed again and had dropped another .2 of a kilo so she is now at 6.4kg or 14.1 lbs so she lost nearly another half pound in the past week or so.

So the vet, Susan, agreed she should probably be around 12.5 lbs as a normal weight so I am setting that as her target.

She will also be microchipped and have her nails trimmed as they are very long -- I am wary of cutting them myself. :shock:

brid kenny
16th August 2006, 11:06 AM
Good luck lily...thinking of you :) :)

Cathy Moon
16th August 2006, 12:15 PM
Good girl, Lily! Hope she has a fast recovery! :flwr:

Karlin, you gave us all the wonderful links for nail trimming! Just kidding, I actually took Chocolate in to the vet yesterday evening to get her nails trimmed. With the black nails, I am afraid to take too much off, so I have the vet techs do it every so often. Then I take a bit off every two weeks.

Maxxs_Mummy
16th August 2006, 01:44 PM
{{{{{{{{Lily}}}}}}}} good luck little angel. I'm sure Momma will give you a nice treat when you come home ;) xxxxx

Karlin
16th August 2006, 02:29 PM
I did do some trimming of her nails, in my defense!! :lol: Her nails are extremely long though and she was not comfortable with me trimming them -- and a lot of her nails are black. I figured while she is out, the vets can trim them well back with no discomfort to her -- hope they remember to do this!

I've spoken to them and she is doing fine; I'll go get her in a bit.

Nicki
16th August 2006, 03:26 PM
so glad she is ok - have been thinking about you both today

Jen
16th August 2006, 04:04 PM
Great!! So nice to have that behind her. I hope her recovery is fast! :D :flwr:

arasara
16th August 2006, 04:28 PM
So glad to hear that Lily is doing well!! (: You must be so excited and anxious to go and get her - I know I was with Kosmo. I am so lucky that he only has 1 black nail. I do have to admit though that I leave that one a smidgen longer than I do the others. icon_blshing I am a weiner and would feel terrible if I hurt him so I just eliminate the possibilities. (:

Linda
16th August 2006, 05:11 PM
That is great news Karlin, Way to go Lily on the weight loss I bet she feels a whole lot better since coming to live with you Karlin.

What a gal, you have a wonderful heart getting her back into good health and shape.

Let us know how she is doing once you get her home.

As for the black nails, lucky me Darby only has 1 white nail.
I find if I trim them just a wee bit every 2 weeks I am not cutting into the quik plus I use cat clippers. They are much smaller and easier to use of him. The Vet said just to take a smidge off and if I don't see the quik take another wee smidge off. It is working as unlike you Karlin I am bad and don't walk them near as much as I should, I am sure once you have
gotten Lily's nails trimmed all that walking you do will keep them in order.

:flwr: :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Karlin
7th October 2006, 11:34 PM
Just an update on Lily.

I had her to the vet during the week when I needed to get some flea stuff, so they all fussed over her and I weighed her on their scales. She is now at 5.9kg or 13lbs!

On August 16th, her last visit, she was 6.4kg or 14.1 lbs.

She started at about 18 lbs in early June. So she has lost 5lbs, nearly a third of her body weight. She's at about her right weight -- she could be anywhere between 12-13 lbs and look pretty good. She is still so shaggy though -- I may get her just evened out at the groomers and get her nails clipped etc.

She looks like such a different dog. Before her face was really fat and her nose was like a little pudgy beak coming out of it. She looked more like a yorkie shaped muzzle on a cavalier body (someone actually asked me if she was a fat yorkie cross, poor Lily!). But now she looks like a cavalier and her face is actually very pretty. She's not even pudgy any more. Her ears are lengthening too which looks very nice on her, and her tail is coming in -- someone had cut off all the feathering and trimmed her ears to the ear leather.

Some pictures once I get my camera working -- I discarded a folder from the camera software that I need -- :sl*p: -- so can;t take pics at the moment.

Mary
7th October 2006, 11:42 PM
Yay Lily!! You are a hottie now!!

arasara
8th October 2006, 01:23 AM
oh wow Karlin, Lily is really doing well. I am sure you're quite proud of yourself. I am glad she has fit in with your clan so nicely. I can't wait until you get your camera back up and running so I can see some new :snap: !! :) Take care! :flwr:

Cathy Moon
8th October 2006, 01:23 AM
:w*w: That's great that she lost all the weight! I'll bet she's gorgeous - I thought she was a cutie all along! :flwr:

judy
8th October 2006, 05:28 AM
It's great to hear that. You have set a real life example for others who want to help their dogs lose weight. Your description of how she looks now is tantalizing. No fair that you don't have your camera working. can't wait to see! staying tuned... :snap:

Kingofthehouse86
8th October 2006, 05:33 AM
b*n*n* yea Lily yea b*n*n*

Nicki
8th October 2006, 11:50 AM
Oh that's great news Karlin...well done on sticking to the diet and exercise plan, I think sometimes it's harder for us than the dogs!!

I'm sure Lily feels much better too.

Good to hear that her feathering is coming in, it's surprising how quickly it grows back. It does sound like she has a typical "spayed bitch" coat...do you have a coat king? That would take out some of that fluffiness.

Jen
8th October 2006, 12:52 PM
Way to go Lily!! :D

Maxxs_Mummy
8th October 2006, 06:06 PM
Well done Karlin and Lily :pi*no: I thought Lily was beautiful before she lost the weight, now I'll bet she is stunning :lotsaluv:

Are you coping OK with 3? I don't really find any difference. Once you get more than one the hair is incredible anyway so you don't really notice a bit more to :v*cuum: every day :lol:

Lisa_T
8th October 2006, 10:54 PM
Karlin, that's marvellous. Is Lily now a permanent fixture with your crew? :D

I've had luck on the weight loss front too- people are starting to tell me that my dog 'still hasn't filled out yet'. Er, she's three and a half. Two, she's done the 'filling out' lark and gotten back down again! :D

Karlin
9th October 2006, 12:27 AM
She's here for now is about the best I can say -- it is pretty easy having three and Lily despite her barkiness when around other dogs outside, is very easy as a housedog. But a home may come up that would suit her really well, so I keep that in mind, too. My house is also pretty small for four cats and three dogs. When I was thinking of adding a third, it was when I was actively trying to buy a larger house with a garden. That won't happen now for a while and if I need to go back to the US for family reasons, three would be difficult for me there. So I am always thinking about the situation and what the best decision would be. Right now, it is like having seven children in a two bedroom house. :yikes :lol: I woudn't have rehomed her before now anyway as she needed the weight off and I thought, a spay (that she turned out to already have had). She is a little character, full of opinions. Most likely she will stay, not least because Jaspar is finally willing to sleep alongside her; which only took four months! Nicki, I need to get a coat king as she definitely needs some thinning and cleaning up!

Maxxs_Mummy
9th October 2006, 12:12 PM
Right now, it is like having seven children in a two bedroom house. :yikes :lol:

Now you know what it was like in the olden days, except they had no gas or electric either :lol:

The words 'old woman' and 'shoe' spring to mind ;) :lol:

Claire
9th October 2006, 02:48 PM
That's great news Karlin - can't what to see the pictures of Lily... :)