PDA

View Full Version : RUBY CAV AVAILABLE

Jen114
20th July 2006, 11:14 AM
the only catch is , from Malta

There is a pet shop owner who has a friend who has a 2 year old Ruby who he can not take care of.... sadly his mommy died a little while ago so now he is left all alone at home while his daddy works. His daddy is nice enough to try and find him a nice home because he feels sad to leave the doggy alone...

anyone going to fly here to get him>

I can't take him i would but i work all day and mom takes care of Kayla so no chance here

xxxxxxx

Cathy Moon
21st July 2006, 12:55 AM
Jen114, is it possible to see a picture of him? My hubby seems to be interested! :D

Cathy Moon
21st July 2006, 04:34 AM
Do you have to have your dogs vaccinated for rabies in Malta? We're trying to find out what the regulations are.

Jen114
21st July 2006, 12:35 PM
OHHH GREAT WHHOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPIEEEE

I can get you pictures no problem i don't have any at the moment!!!

ummm rabies you can have the vaccinated but we are not a rabies country

Jen114
21st July 2006, 12:36 PM
i ment to say you can have them vaccinated...... but it is not obligatory because we are not a rabies country...

Mia
21st July 2006, 03:35 PM
That would be such a great story if it was possible - and what a lovely life for the little guy to have living in Ohio!!

Good luck to you and if there is a problem - maybe Ireland would be nearer - a little ruby would be lovely playmate for Bailey!!

Maria & Bailey

Cathy Moon
22nd July 2006, 02:01 PM
Last night I looked a the cost of flights from Cleveland to Malta - Yikes, the prices I saw were $2350 and higher per person. :yikes We were hoping for something more reasonable!!!

Cannot afford that much right now, since we've already committed to visiting my H's father in Devon, UK this year.

Mia, maybe the little Ruby boy was meant for you!

Karlin
22nd July 2006, 04:59 PM
It would make more sense to arrange to have the dog shipped. You cannot take the dog in the cabin anyway. The problem is that it would be pretty long if there wasn't someone to give the dog a toilet break in between flights as I don't think there's anything direct.

Jen, there are some animal rescues on Malta so they might be worth contacting. Alternatively why not contact cavalier rescue in the UK? Very likely someone would be willing to come over or might be there on holiday anyway and could tranpsort the dog to a vetted home. You'd need to be the go between with the man who has the dog however to set this up.

Cathy Moon
23rd July 2006, 05:11 AM
I would not consider shipping my own cavs, so would not ship any pup!!!! We wanted to have one of us fly there to bring the cav back in the cabin.

When I was looking at airfares, I did find a flight from London to Malta for $420 or so, in case anyone is interested in getting this little boy! :flwr:

Karlin
23rd July 2006, 02:41 PM
Cathy, you can't fly dogs back transatlantic in the cabin with most airlines. I think only KLM allows this now; delta appears to from some locations. From what I have been told, here are no flights from London that will allow dogs in cabins, period, not even within Europe, as that is part of UK animal control rules. And there can be a considerable surcharge for transporting a dog with you even when in the hold -- more than the price of the human ticket in many cases. And only a handful of airlines will even take animals transatlantic, so all of that always needs to be carefully arranged well in advance.

I've sent Jaspar and Leo in the hold, and my parents received their cavalier from breeder Laura Lang, by transport in the hold. I would guess that stastistically it is far more likely that something adverse would happen with a dog in a car than ever in airline trasnport (there's a website that has reported incidents and they are rare, with mortalities extremely rare). For many dogs I think it is more stressful to be held in a small bag under a seat for many hours than it is to have their familiar crate in a dark, air-conditioned, pressurised hold. I can understand people's concerns about how their dogs are doing and I am sure some dogs are also exceptions, but I know (from train travel with the dogs) that they are much happier in a crate there, so would likewise be happier in the hold of a plane. Both mine would go nuts after two hours in a carrier bag under the seat in front of me! :shock: Breeders routinely send puppies, dogs and show dogs back and forth on the transatlatic route and all are done in the hold. :) When I boarded I just asked the flight attendants to confirm with ground staff that the dogs were safely on board, which they did.

This might be of interest, recently in the International Herald Tribune:

As I have previously reported, airlines have different requirements about carrying pets on board. Air France (and its code-share partner Delta) is one of the few pet-friendly airlines, allows cats and dogs of five kilograms, or about 11 pounds, or less to travel in the cabin. American Airlines does not accept carry-on pets to or from Hawaii, on trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific flights, or to Central and South America. United Airlines allows "small dogs or cats" to travel under the seat in a container 22 inches, or about 56 centimeters, by 14 inches by 9 inches; larger animals, including guide dogs, are consigned to the hold. British Airways requires pets (other than guide dogs) to be checked in as excess baggage. But they do get to travel in a heated, or air- conditioned, section of the hold and are "taken to the plane personally" by ground staff.

Cathy Moon
23rd July 2006, 05:01 PM
Oh, I didn't know that! Once when we flew back from Scotland a Canadian couple had a baby Scottish Terrier with them. That was 10 years ago, though, and he was very small!

I'm a worrier, though. I have had lost baggage before, and my H's suitcase came back destroyed before, so it really worries me to ship a dog! I would at the very least want to be on the same flight to make sure the dog was put on and taken off and not lost somewhere!

Jen114
24th July 2006, 09:08 AM
My good ness what alot of posts i missed over the weekend....

Awwww thanks for even thinking of coming that is so nice i understnad your concerns and i would feel unconfortable too... If it was a direct flight that would be different but in transit i would not like that at all either ......

Thanks a million.... Anyone want to drive down from ENLAND apparently it is a very nice trip.... :D