• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Throwing up...

Donald Duck

Huey didn't eat all day today, he did drink some water but not very much. I was so relieved when he finally ate tonight, but then he threw up everything not even an hour later, his vomit was very dry, very little liquid. He ate again about an hour after that but threw it up also! Now I'm worried that he's sick, dehydrated... We have an apple tree out back and we've caught him eating apples a few times, we thought we'd picked them all up but I did notice some in his throw up. Could this be the problem?

Has he been in the sun at all? might be a little sun stroke? a vet check would be a good idea, little pups can suffer in the heat, best to have a check. hope is is better soon.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Poor Huey! Puppies really do have to be very closely supervised, it's so easy for them to get into trouble.

I would take him immediately to an emergency vet if your vet isn't open. That could possibly be a blockage, which is serious, so he needs to be looked at.

Hope he's feeling better soon! :flwr:

In adult dogs, vomiting is not some I generally get too concerned about. Once the purge whatever bothers them, they often just go about their business. It isnt always like a human who vomits when sick.

In a puppy, however, it is easy to quickly dehydrate if they cant keep anything down. Is he keeping water down? If you are concerned about him, give your vet a call, or you can call the emergency vet office and see what they suggest. You'll get quicker responses from them than you will from us here, and the advice/suggestions will have the backing of folks with known medical backgrounds!

FYI: My dogs love apple; I think most dogs do. The concern is the apple seeds and greenery; they can be poisonous for dogs. Here's some information I found on Tiggertags.com:

APPLE SEEDS:
Apple seeds are in the same category as other fruits like apples, cherries, peaches and apricots. The stems, leaves and seeds contain cyanogenic glycosides, and depending on the dose, you will see not only the common gastrointestinal effects but weakness in coordination and difficulty breathing. In some extreme cases, animals can go into shock or coma and can even result in death. The toxic ingredients are contained in the center of the seeds, so be sure keep your pet from chewing or crushing the seeds with their teeth. Another interesting thing to point out is that the level of toxicity can depend on growing conditions. If it's a stressful growing environment for an apple tree, the level of toxicity may be less than if the tree was growing in a healthy environment. This makes it difficult to gauge how much is a dangerous level.

How is Huey doing this morning? I had a scare when Jake was a puppy...he woke me up vomitting and vomitted several times throughout the night. It was also very dry at first....mostly undigested food. I kept giving him ice chips to keep him hydrated and rushed him to the vet's first thing in the a.m. Turned out he was find...no food for 24 hours and let his tummy settle.

Like Moviedust says...I've learned that in adults it's no biggee as long as it doesn't persist but in puppies it can lead to dehydration.

Back