• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Puppy!

Mmitc

Well I just got my new baby, Charlie! He is wonderful and full of spunk. I think he is going to be very small though. He is almost 12 weeks old and I think he is probably less than 3 pounds. I guess I got the runt!

Such a cutie - he is lovely..... welcome to the wonderful world of cavaliers........ :D

Welcome! And we love new puppies on the board. :lol:

On a more serious note, that IS small for a puppy; though are you sure it is the age the breeder has said? Some of the unscrupulous (especially internet sellers) will claim the pups are older than they are -- same goes for pet shops -- as they can then spend less on keeping them themselves and they sell them at closer to 6 weeks. :? A vet can likely confirm whether he is actually 12 weeks. Be sure a vet is keeping an eye on a small pup too. (y) Has he been wieghed by a vet? He may look much smaller than he actually is, as well. We will look forward to more pictures! :wggle:

Thank you for the advice. I do have papers on him and he is registered with the UKC. The seller actually contacted me the day that they were born and sent me pictures a week later so I do believe the seller was truthful. Also, my vet, who is also my godfather, verified his age and health. I believe he will be small because his mother was very small (only 12lbs.) His father was 18lbs.

To tell the truth though I have been looking for something wrong with him since I got him at a very good price. hahaha
I haven't found anything yet except that the breeder administered shots himself instead of taking the litter to the vet. My vet would not recognize the breeders vaccination and had to give it to him again. Poor Charlie! He did not like that!

Well that explains it! I need all the advice I can get. This is my first experience as the sole owner of a puppy.

Ooooh another Charlie :flwr:

My Charlie says would you like him to come and teach your Charlie how to be naughty? :lol:

He looks a little darling :flwr: One of the pups in Maxx's litter only weighed 2 1/2lbs at 12 weeks and the breeder kept him as she thought he was going to be weenie....

He is now bigger than his Dad, weighing in at 14kg!!!!

That's true too; pups can be very small due to being from a large litter for example and often catch up as weeks go past. The best judge of future size is to view not just the parents, but the grandparents as it is really a family average of likehood for size, not just the parents (just as for people!). My brother was a little guy as a kid and is now 6'1". :lol:

Is the UKC the United Kennel CLub? That would be the only legitimate registry amongst a bunch of them trying to mimic the UKC, such as the Universal Kennel Club or United kennel Club International (UKCI), or United American kennel Club. These are sometimes called bogus registries and would not require any verifiable info from the breeder (unlike the AKC, or ACKCSC, or I believe the legit UKC). Just for some background info.

See http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=216

There's lots of info in the Library section on every aspect of owning a cavalier too! And we all welcome questions. :)

Also, we are awaiting further pictures now in the Puppy Gallery!! :jmp:

Our Beauregard weighed 2.2 pounds when we got him at 8 weeks. If Huey's eating and gaining any weight at all, I wouldn't worry about it.

KC

WoodHaven said:
ANY shot given before 8 weeks _whether vet given or breeder-- is a temporary shot. Sandy

Isnt' there a window of time when the puppy is covered by the mother's immunity, and that immunity inherited from the mother nullifies the vaccinations that are given during that period? the maternal immunity is temporary and i think it's not possible to know exactly when it is, but i think that titers are used to estimate it, because shots given during that window are wasted and vets want to attempt to not give any more vaccinations than necessary so the maternal immunity is an issue. I think that was in the task force paper on vaccinations from 2003 from the major US veterinary associations, if i'm remembering right, or if i understood it right.

welcome charlie and charlie's mom/dad, more photos will be great

Rudy was small when we got him at 16 weeks, I can't remember exactly but he was at 3 to 4 pounds. He is now 14.4 pounds.

Back