• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Been away for 3 months - update

jo

Hi everyone,

I've been unable to use the site for the last 3 months because my computer wasn't working probably, and my husband was away and so couldn't fix it. Now he's back and apparently there was nothing wrong with it so I could have been online all this time!!! :sl*p:

Maisie has been an absolute godsend for both me and my son while my husband was in Afghanistan. She seemed to sense when we needed her to cheer us up, or if we needed a cuddle. She's been a very easy puppy to look after, and has never chewed anything. (touch wood) We had a bit of a traumatic time about 6 weeks ago. I was walking her to the shop when a German Shepherd (off the lead outside it's house!!) ran across the road, picked Maisie up in it's jaws and shook her around like a rag-doll. The owners had no control over their dog and were unable to call it back, and had to come and physically remove their dog. I was in shock but fortunately my friend lives over the road and was able to look after me and Maisie as both of us were in shock. :cry*ing:

We took her to the vet where she had an operation to sew up the rips in her flesh over her ribs, belly, and under her legs. The vets said there was no damage to the internal organs and that she had been very lucky that she still had quite a lot of loose puppy sking that basically saved her life. Anyway 17 stitches later, and lots of TLC from us at home, and she pulled through. The german shepherds owners paid the vets bill, and have told me that they now always have their dog on a lead. I rang the police who said there was nothing they could do until it bites a person, and also the dog warden who said he only deals with noise, fouling, or straying from dogs. So there you have it............lets hope there is no next time.

Maisie doesn't seem to have been affected by the whole event. We have to walk past their house regularly and the german shepherd is always up at the fence barking. Maisie always stops to have her little bark and growl back and then promptly sticks her nose up in the air as we walk by. Such a little tease.

Jo
Maisie (ruby)

Hey Jo

Missed you both, what a traumatic experience I think I would of flipped.
Glad you had a neighbor friend to help you out.
Would love to see some updated pictures of Maisie, glad hubby is home for you too now.

:) Hi I so pleased that it was not as bad as it could have been Masie must be a special little lady :D Aileen

OMG...poor little baby, and so horrible for you to see, so glad that she is well again...

Yes lets hope there is no next time....I don't feel that enough has been done this time...surely they could enforce some training for the dog and owner?

Where in Wilts are you? hope you don't mind me asking :D

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

How scary Jo!!! So glad little Maisie is okay. Also glad the dog's owner did the right thing. He paid the bill and rectified the situation. Too many times we hear stories where the owner does nothing and acts like it's no big deal.

Welcome back Jo!

Oh, that's so horrible!! Thank goodness she was ok. A 10yr old toy poodle was killed by a boxer mix here--literally ripped at the throat--so your little one is VERY lucky.

If you have to walk passed that house, I'd be carrying a can of mace!!

thank goodness she's ok Jo. The same thing happened to one of our cavs - Digby - when I was a kid (A long time ago!) and he ended up with his back two legs paralysed. The vets did a great job of patching him back together and he had as normal a life as possible after it but he eventually went through one operation too many and didn't make it.

Having said that he really was a tribute to the spirit of the breed. We would put heavy bandages and straps on his knees and legs as he still wanted to charge round like a nutter using his front two legs only. He'd wear himself down to the bone if we didn't keep a real close eye on him. We used to take him for walks using his tail as a lead and he'd trot happily along. He ended up with a front leg muscles like a pit bull or something similar before the end came! He really did live life to the full in his remaining time. It was so long ago now I can't even remember how long he survived for so I'll have to ask my dad later and see if I can get any pics scanned and online of the little tough guy.

Kelvin

Hubby in the Military?

Gald to hear that Your puppers was alright. My God!! Talk about an experience. Glad to hear that she is alright.....

You mentioned your hubby is/was in Afgan.....Mine is in the Canadian Miltary. ( AESOP--> Airbourne Electronic Sonar Operator, he files as part of the crew on The Sea kings Helcopters) I hear you on the puppy keeping you company. Dogs are great companions. Amazing that they are able to pick p on our emotions and feels...

All the best.
A.

Welcome back Jo! I'm so glad to hear little Maisie recovered from that traumatic event. :flwr:

I would definitely carry pepper spray in case the GSD gets loose again!

Jo, nice to have you back again. So glad that darling little Maisie has recovered OK. Why on earth that GSD was allowed to run free when it's obviously a risk is unbelieveable. The owners should also muzzle it as well as walking it on a lead. It is obviously aggressive to do such a thing anyway.

I speak from experience with GSD's as I am a previous owner and I know that if it was one of mine that did it I would never trust it again.

Good news that your hubby is home safe and well from the hell hole. Has he finished his tour over there or is he just on R&R?

I am so glad that my hubby is out of all that. He's no longer in the forces but was asked to go over there or Iraq with his present job. I had 40 fits and that was the end of that :roll: :lol:

Did you know that Alison is in Wilts too? I visit her quite often so maybe we could all get together one day? OBVIOUSLY not whilst your hubs is at home on leave ;) :lol:

Thanks for the warm welcome back everyone. :D

Hi Alison, we're in Colerne (halfway between Chippenham and Bath).

"Maxxs Mummy" - yes, that's him finished in Afghan now, so I can kiss goodbye to having a tidy house! :roll:

I've just been trawling through the old posts trying my best to catch up on the gossip and remember who's who. I'll get there eventually. I didn't realise how much Maisie had changed until I saw my avatar, so I'll sort some new photos as soon as I can.

Jo
Maisie (ruby)

Back