• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gross - a dead mouse and they ate it

Charleen

Part of the morning routine is to let the dogs out in the yard after they have breakfast. I walk with them and pickup their left overs (i.e. poo).

Of course this was a morning I had to hurry. Pippin was due at the Eye vet's for his 2 month follow up after cataract surgery and I had to get ready to go because it is an hour drive to the vet's office.

After about 10 minutes it looked like they were ready to go back inside. Luke bounded across the yard with more energy than normal for having to go back inside. Then when he got closer he had legs sticking out of his mouth. YUKKKKKKKKKKKKKK :yikes Grossssssssssssss!!! :yuk: What'll I do, I don't want it in the house. I don't want to touch it.

Thank God the legs are NOT moving. At least it is dead. But what about bacteria, maggots - Ohhhhhhh, this is so unbelievably disgusting! And I have to deal with it.

At this point Merry & Pippin don't know what he has. I try to get them in the house, so I can deal with Luke. We have a dog door, so I sent the other 2 through it and held back Luke. I am not touching the mouse.

I have a 33 gallon garbage can in the dog fence area for their dog poop. So I opened the cover of the can and held Luke cover it and started shaking him and telling him to let go. :roll: I looked down and the mouse was not in his mouth. This is early morning about 6 AM, so it isn't very light out yet, but it doesn't look like the mouse is in the garbage, but it has to be, it isn't in Luke's mouth.

By this point, Merry comes back out through the dog door to see what is going on and she comes down the steps to the garbage and is sniffing around the base of the can. Next thing I know she HAS SOMETHING IN HER MOUTH and she is sprinting through the dog door into the house!

Oh No - the mouse fell out of Luke's mouth onto the ground!! I can't believe my bad luck, I missed the garbage. This is so disgusting. I open the door to the house. This door takes you into the dog's room. 2 crates, their water, their toys and a space heater. Merry is in one of the crates with the mouse in her mouth now.

"No Merry - drop it." Before I can decide how to get her outside she CHOMP/CHOMPS/SWALLOWS and the mouse is gone. EATEN. :shock: :yuk: :yikes I kiss those lips and how can I ever do that again. Luke too, I just couldn't bear to think about it. I think Merry acted so quickly because this winter she found a dead bird on the porch and Mom & I wrangled it out of her clenched jaws. She wasn't going to let this one get away.

They LOVED that MOUSE.

Even now, this evening, how will I ever let them kiss me again?

I hate to ask this questions BUT-- was the mouse dead-- or did they catch it alive? If he was dead- could he have died of poison?
Also- I would watch for tape worms--

Oh Charleen. what a funny story. Although I am sure it wasn't at the time. :lol: :lol: Just think about this way...think about some of the other places these adorable puppy mouths have been before they kissed you! icon_whistling icon_whistling icon_whistling Especially those little boys!

Maybe the mouse wasn't the worst thing :yikes .

Sandy - I hadn't thought about that. I'll watch Merry closely. Boy she can be a handful. Last week she swallowed a 2 inch piece of bully stick. It was on the floor left over from another dog and I reached down to pick it up and she was quicker and since she saw me going for it, she swallowed it. I had a vigil all last Saturday, waiting for Merry to show signs of distress and there never were any, Thank the Lord!

Merry seems OK today. She ate the mouse at 6 AM and it is no 8:20 PM and no signs of problems yet. Our cat hunts and I was just hoping he had killed the mouse. We have found a few dead baby birds in the yard too, that is why I thought of the cat first. However, we do have poison placed in our basement to kill the mice/rats if they get in. I don't let the cats or dogs in the basement.

Oh Sandy - I sure hope we don't have further problems, but I'll watch her carefully.

Charleen, might be safer use mouse traps instead of poison, so the pups and cats don't find a poisoned mouse! :shock:

We have cats...and there are parts of rodents that cats don't eat. I've tried to explain this to Beau and Elvis...but they don't seem to care. If the cats leave it, the Cavs will get it. Blechh!

KC

:shock: I known what you mean about 6 weeks ago Barney had hold of a frog I donot known if it was alive when he find it or not it took me ages to get it off him and 2 weeks ago he find a baby bird I did get it off him and put it back in the nest :) Aileen

Sandy & Cathy - Good News - I spoke to my Dad and he said he picked up all the poison in the basement last year, when I moved in. So need to worry about that being the reason the mouse died. Must've been our cat, like I thought. :)

So glad that Merry was ok and that your Dad took up the poison...this is something we all need to be aware of, even if the poison is well away from the dogs, they could find a dead mouse or rat and that would be sufficient dose to make them very ill or possibly even be fatal :(

Back