• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hiccups????

Nisha

Hi. Yesterday i was out with my dogs and all of a sudden Milo started making this sound that sounded just like hiccuping. i Have never heard either of them "hiccup" as such before so i was a bit worried. is this normal? :?

Was he pulling on his lead or excited when this happened? was the sound a bit like a snort from the nose/throat? a really funny sound, difficult to discribe?

If it happens again you could try this...

Gently and calmly place your palm over his nose and gently tip his head downwards towards his chest...hold it for a moment until he returns to normal. Stroke and talk to him gently so he is comfortable with you doing this.

This happens with alot of Cavaliers, try not to worry.

Hope this helps but if it becomes something that happens alot and he looks uncomfortable let your vet give him a check over to make sure that everything is OK. :flwr:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

no he didnt seem uncomfortable..and we werent on a walk so he had no lead on...it hasnt happened again so i think it is fine...hopefully :? ..so was it actual "hiccups"...

Sounds like the 'Cavalier Snort' to me too. Both Leo and Jaspar get this from time to time. It can sound like they are having trouble breathing too. In 99.999% of cases it is just due to a mild obstruction of their palate and if you tip the head forward gently with nostrils covered, as Alison describes, it stops right away. Usually you don't even need to do this as they stop in a few moments, but I try to stop it in this way when it happens as it is probaboy a bit uncomfortable for them.

Could this be what my Shih-Tzu does? kind of like reverse hiccups, a drawn out, repetative snorting, like they are hyperventilating?

hmmm, hearing you call it the 'Cavlier Snort' has got me thinking that we get to experience that w/Meg as well.

It really doesnt last long, its just heartbreaking to see them go through it.

The first few years Molly would get freaked out and then be clingy the whold rest of the day. So we would make sure to give her extra lovin. Now, she just goes on about her regular routine.

they dont happen often, thankfully.

hi..yea milo had the "noise"agen...and i did wat u guys told me and it stopped in a matter of moments...so i gues it was the "cavalier snorts"...anyway thankyou

Merlin get this too - usually when he is over excited. I just do the same as suggested above and it stops - doesn't happen so often but doesn't half scare you the first time it happens!

Luckily one of my breeder's dogs did this while I was visiting Jake before bringing him home. She was very nonchalant about it and tipped his head down. So glad I saw this and knew when Jake did it that it was no biggee. Of course...drama king makes it a biggee. He hasn't snorted in a long time but when he used to do it he'd get this panicked look in his face and burrow into my lap. Shelby does it once in a while and it doesn't phase her. But when she does it Jake started nosing her to make sure she's okay. He's such a little nursemaid.

Back