• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Smoked Chicken strips - with a warning!

arasara

You guys know those smoked chicken breasts that you can get at pet stores that are kind of like jerky strips?

I bought some from PetSmart the other day because they are 100% natural, 97% fat free, and they looked like they would keep Kosmo busy for a while. I tried them and he absolutely loves them...

All was great, until. . .

Avi and I went to his dad's house earlier today and I had his dad make him sit down and give him a jerkey treat because he was such a good boy. He picked it up and decided to lay down and eat it by the coffee table. I was sitting on the couch talking about him when all of a sudden he started snorting and coughing and choking all at the same time!! :yikes :yikes :yikes

I was so freaked out I didn't know what to do... My eyes probably popped out of my skull and I hopped down on the floor and stuck my finger down his throat. I felt something in there and somehow I must have dislodged it because he sorta swollowed, took a drink of water, and went back to his chew.

It scared me absolutely to death. I am very glad I got whatever was blocking his wind pipe to move.

If you should choose to let your doggies have these, make sure you can moniter them EVERY second they have it.... I am so glad things turned out alright for us, but I've never been that scared in my whole life.

:shock: oh my goodness, how scary! I'm so glad you were right there to save him. I hope he is doing well now and that your heartbeat has calmed down a bit, too.

Thanks for the warning!

So glad Kosmo is OK! How scary. A good reminder for all of us to supervise any chew toy or food.

oh sara, thank goodness you were there. it wouldn't take long to suffocate. That's a good wake up call to be vigilant. What was the brand of the chicken jerky?

I don't know if i'm being overly neurotic about this, probably, but i had heard years ago that research had shown that smoking food releases some kind of powerful free radical substance in the food that is known to be a carcinogen, so since then, i've avoided smoked food like beef jerky or anything cured with nitrites. and i always get zack stuff that doesn't have smoked flavor, as so many of the treats and chews do. with all the vulnerabilities of the breed, i'm scared to expose him to things that have been found to undermine health. i'm not sure if dogs would be susceptable to this though.

The brand that I got is Smoke House and the only ingredient is Chicken Breast Meat. I joked with my OH that he could eat them.. hehe :p We also just recently bought a 2 1/2 lb bag of the same thing made from ChewMaster at Costco.

Come to look at it Judy, the package says that they are Roasted!! I must have associated smoked with the brand. :oops:

I got them because they are very low fat and high protein (like 70% protein and 1-3% fat.) Kos absolutely LOVES them so I hate to take them away because they are a nice treat, I guess I just have to be VERY careful and watch him the whole time he has it. That was a big scare, for sure. Avi later said "oh he was fine he'd have coughed it up eventually," but one thing I know for sure is whatever gagging choking snorting sound he was making was not very pleasant and scared the daylights out of me.

Sara - I think at some point we all experience this to one degree or another. Shelby is my gulper...she doesn't chew at all! That's why we no longer feed greenies. Yep, you have to be vigilant when they are chewing on something. So glad you were there to help in time.

My guys love those chicken strips...we get the same ones at Costco.

arasara said:
....Come to look at it Judy, the package says that they are Roasted!! I must have associated smoked with the brand. :oops:

oh, that's different! yes, humans can eat some of those things without harm. you might want to try merricks lamb filets some time, they are also 70some per cent protein. And they are of a texture that is easy to break up in small pieces to insure no swallowing of big pieces. they're like crackers rather than chews so they break down and become quite soft when wet.

I got them because they are very low fat and high protein (like 70% protein and 1-3% fat.)

they sound really healthy.

Kos absolutely LOVES them so I hate to take them away because they are a nice treat, I guess I just have to be VERY careful and watch him the whole time he has it. That was a big scare, for sure.

Another thing that i would worry about, being a worrier about these kinds of things, and would be hard to monitor, is if a large enough piece is swallowed that could obstruct the intestines. That has been the problem with greenies and raw hide chews, i think. Hopefully, your experience was just a fluke. They sound very tasty and otherwise healthy.

if you're looking for things to keep him occupied though, for longer periods of time, then you probably don't want to have to watch him the whole time. Chews that some people have said are long lasting but less likely to break off in larger pieces include bully sticks, booda bones and compressed hoof. I used to think edible nylabones were an example of this, but someone posted a situation here where a big piece did break off and cause problems.

Back