• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please Help Dudley Vomitting & Diaharea

Linda

Dudley was very sick on Saturday Evening, he was vomitting (which he has never done) and has had severe diaharea.

I am taking him to the Vet this afternoon, last night he vomitted just a little which looked to be bial. His diaharea seems to be getting better,
I boiled him Chicken and Rice yesterday which he ate I guess I should
of waited until today to try feeding him but I was camping and could not
remember previous posts made on this subject. I also placed a Hot Pack
wrapped in a towel on his tummy which seemed to sooth him. After doing that he looked much much better, although he kept trying to go to the
bathroom nothing was left. I guess like us the cramping still gives the
feeling of having to go.

I know that you have all advised to give rice and boiled chicken, I have
been keeping him hydrated.

Yesterday morning he looked horrible, I was trying to find a Vet and was unsuccessful. After a few hours his appearance got much better and he seemed to be feeling better too. So I decided it would be best to wait for
him to be seen by his own Vet today.

I have no idea what could of caused this, but was told by fellow campers that their pets have also been sick.
The lady who lives behind me thought that he may of eaten some racoon poop.

Although his poop is starting to firm up my question is the sample I have to take to the Vet today will it show if any parasites are in it.

Also, since I was giving Dudley Boiled Chicken with Rice Darby was going
crazy so I fed him some too, he vomitted last night all night long.

The Vet advised that he may be okay but to bring him but he may of
got sick from the sudden change of diet.

Please keep good thoughts for my Dudley, I have tears in my eyes as I
write this I have never seen him this way before. Although he seemed to be feeling so so much better yesterday and then last night I was up all night do you think that could of been because I fed him the rice and chicken.

Anybody who has experineced this before, have any idea's what could of
caused it.

The Vet advised to give him only water until she see's him today and to bring a sample of his stool, I thought how in the world am I going to do that but this morning he went and although it was still a bit runny it was also firm enough for me to pick it up.

I am having to give him his water with a baby syringe, but as I type this he is in the backyard so I can only assume he is a bit better.

Any advice would be very very much appreciated.

oh darling I'm so sorry....

Firstly Darby might have been ill if he's not had chicken and rice before, the sudden change can upset a pup...how is he doing today?

Poor Dudley, you were right to give him chicken and rice but it's usually best to wiat 24 hrs...hard to remember always though, so don't worry.

Yes if it's a parasite it will be in the stool sample, so they'd find it.

Small amounts of water frequently is brilliant, you do need to keep them hydrated, esp Darby being so young.

If other dogs are ill too, it might be a bug going around...tell your vet that others were illl.

Re the racoon poop, I don't know...not something we have here. WOrth mentioning too, you don't know what the raccoon may have eaten.

I presume that no-one has mice or rat poison down?

Even if it's inaccessible to the dogs, they can eat a mouse or rat that's been poisoned and that would make them ill

Let us know how you get on at the vet...sending healing thoughts and prayers and VB (((hugs)))

Nicki

Thank you so much sweetheart for your response, I am sitting here crying so upset just waiting for time to pass.
I have give them both a entire bowl of water by syringe this morning, the Vet said I could try giving Darby a few kibble to see if he will eat them.

My poor baby is still having Diaharea, maybe to some it may appear minor but this is my first experience with this in over 2 years and I am
falling to pieces. My husband is up north and I am trying to be strong, as I know if I tell him that Dudley is sick he will be home right away.

Nicki
Darby appears to be okay, just tired as we was up all night long vomitting.
He is peeing fine.

Dudley is very quiet.

I am most likely over reacting, but it is my nature.
So sorry.

Linda - don't apologize...so not necessary. It's very disturbing when our little ones are sick and not up to par. Hang in there...you can take him to the vet's soon and get this resolved. Hugs!!!

Hello Linda

I hope Dudley is feeling better. Please let us know how he gets on at the vets :flwr:

Sarah Xxx

Linda, I'll keep good thoughts for your boys.

I'm a pretty strong person, but I fall to pieces whenever my furkids are sick. I think it's just natural since we love them so much and they're totally dependent on us. Plus, I'm one of those worrier people....I worry so others won't have to. :lol:

The other night, I was trying to sleep and Pixie was in her crate clacking her tongue, then she'd sigh and move around. I could hear her tummy gurgling too so I put her in the bed with me...she'd gotten a bakery biscuit and they don't always agree with her. I was awake most of the night, just because she was ailing. Just before dawn, she gags and vomits up an intact cat toy...one of those little cloth mice....ears and tail still attached. :yikes Have no idea how she got it, the small cat toys are restricted to a room that Pixie can't get into... Everything turned out ok, but I up until then I was already making plans for a vet visit....

Let us know what the vet says about Dudley (and Darby)

linda, so sorry you and the boys have to go through this. i hope the vet can find out what it is right away. i wasn't sure from your post, when did you all leave to go camping? what food did dudley have last before the symptoms started?

It sounds like he ate something,whether foreign body or something poison or something with parasites, because of the sudden onset. Has he recently had a vaccination?

In most cases, these things are self limited and it should pass on its own. If he still has diarrhea, the vet can give him flagyl which usually stops diarrhea at least while the dog is on it. Another one that's highly recommneded for that is Tylen or Tylosin. it comes in powder and i mixed it in chicken/rice, it tastes really bad but was not noticed mixed in chicken and rice. someone i knew bought capsules and made up capsules of it.

For vomiting, Zack was given shots of anti-nausea medication, and of pepcid to reduce stomach acid. The antinausea one made him sleep.

If it's parasites, in my opinion, one stool sample won't necessarily show what it is. I hope in your case it does, if it is parasites. In my experience with zack, i brought three stool samples each about a week apart, and all were negative, yet he had something that was later cured by Dontral Plus which kills a bunch of those things.

I read on the web that for many of those organisms, three or four consecutive days of stool samples are needed in order to get a positive result because of the organism's life cycle and how common it is to get false negative results. I learned about that right at the end, when zack got better. If i'd known earlier, i would've had that done.

if it's a foreign body, the vet should be able to assess that.

you poor thing, this is so hard to go through. I hope it will be over by today as these things usually do end soon. Many people will give about a teaspoon or less canned pumpkin for diarrhea, a couple of times a day. i wouldn't give anythng but water though if vomiting has been happening. when he seems normal again, then start slow with something he's used to in a small amount, i remember Bruce told me to use something like 2 tablespoons, or one? at first, in several small meals.

the matter of darby having vomiting too sounds like something contagious, or something that both ate that caused it, unless for Darby it as just the change to boiled chicken and rice. Was it plain skinless chicken and plain white rice? If it's somethhing they both ate, then it would not likely be a foreign body.

i sure hope by the time we hear from you again they are both back to normal. It's hard when a normally happy dog just lays around quietly acting depressed and apathetic, and you know they are feeling badly.

I just recalled that last Thursday/Friday I gave Dudley some Fish Oil in
his food.
He has never had it before, do you think that this may of caused all this upset.

I give Darby Fish Oil 3 times a week for his coat, and thought I would give some to Dudley. I pray that this is related.
Anbody ????????????????????

When he threw up in our mobile home, I now remember my husband saying that it smelled really fishy. Dudley does not eat fish.

Judy
Thank you so much for your input, Dudley was vacinnated back in June so I can't see it being that.
I did just remember what I wrote above, not sure if that would cause all this though.
Judy we left to go camping Friday Evening and he had a bit of a loose bowel movement during the night Friday but not diarehea. That started
Saturday Saturday Evening along with the vomiting.

In our campground some people spray weed killer around the driveways, not sure if maybe somebody just sprayed and one of the kids took him for a walk.

Judy they are both pooped out, along with myself.
Dudley will not eat pumpkin, I don't want to force anything but water on him until she see's him this afternoon.

Darby vomitted all the rice and chicken but I did give him 10 kibble per instruction from the Vet and he appears to be okay.
I took him in the backyard and he did play a bit, but Dudley nothing.

My heart breaks for him, as I see how upset and sad he looks.

I have a feeling that it might be my fault from the Fish Oil, I certainly hope that is all it is.

Linda,

I have just caught up, sorry that I wasn't here for you earlier xxx.

Sounds like he might have eaten something he shouldn't have, I did think possibly a poison of some sort as well... or something rotton etc...try and rest that little tummy, I always BOIL my water freshly and let it cool when then have an upset tum, keep everything as clean as you can, take no chances, little ones with an upset like this can go downhill fast, keep up the fluids, little and often, and keep in touch with the vet, if in any doubt ring him.

Linda I am so sorry, what a worry for you. Also keep him warm, little pups lose their body temprature when they get ill.

I wouldn't think the fish oil would do this...never has to mine.

Keep in touch, ((((hugs)))) for all, take care, :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Love Alison x

Wilts, U.k.

Linda said:
...When he threw up in our mobile home, I now remember my husband saying that it smelled really fishy. Dudley does not eat fish.My heart breaks for him, as I see how upset and sad he looks.
I have a feeling that it might be my fault from the Fish Oil, I certainly hope that is all it is.

linda, it's surely not your fault, fish oil or not! you were trying to help him. The only way it could be the fish oil, i'd think, is if he's allergic to it, or if it had gone very rancid, not likely since you got it recently for Darby, it would probably have to be left out in the sun or a hot place to get rancid that fast.

The worst thing in the world is when they are acting sick and miserable. hang in there, let us know what the vet says after she sees him, poor little guy. What alison said--small amounts of water, yes of course, don't force anything, i don't give zak pumpkin either, he doesn't seem to like it, poor linda, try to rest and hopefully the time will go fast to get to the vet.

Alison_Leighfield said:
Linda,

I have just caught up, sorry that I wasn't here for you earlier xxx.

Sounds like he might have eaten something he shouldn't have, I did think possibly a poison of some sort as well... or something rotton etc...try and rest that little tummy, I always BOIL my water freshly and let it cool when then have an upset tum, keep everything as clean as you can, take no chances, little ones with an upset like this can go downhill fast, keep up the fluids, little and often, and keep in touch with the vet, if in any doubt ring him.

Linda I am so sorry, what a worry for you. Also keep him warm, little pups lose their body temprature when they get ill.

I wouldn't think the fish oil would do this...never has to mine.

Keep in touch, ((((hugs)))) for all, take care, :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Love Alison x

Wilts, U.k.

Allison

Thank you so kindly, I am leaving for the Vet shortly.
Been trying to get another stool sample the best I could get was grass
with diaharea on it although this mornings sample was much better the
diaharea has gotten worse again.

The fish oil is just me grasping at reasons.

linda, it's surely not your fault, fish oil or not! you were trying to help him. The only way it could be the fish oil, i'd think, is if he's allergic to it, or if it had gone very rancid, not likely since you got it recently for Darby, it would probably have to be left out in the sun or a hot place to get rancid that fast.

The worst thing in the world is when they are acting sick and miserable. hang in there, let us know what the vet says after she sees him, poor little guy. What alison said--small amounts of water, yes of course, don't force anything, i don't give zak pumpkin either, he doesn't seem to like it, poor linda, try to rest and hopefully the time will go fast to get to the vet.

Judy
Thanks again for all your positive thoughts and everyone else it has helped calm me down so I can make the drive.

Was trying to see if I could get another sampel to bring along like I mentioned to Allison but had to rip the grass out of the ground that is the
best I can do.

I will post as soon as I get home, I once again thank all of you for the
positive energy you have given me today.

Luv
Linda

Hoping the vet visit went ok, been waiting up for news but I really have to go to bed now, sorry :(

Will catch up in the morning...sending lots of positive healing thoughts and all our love xxxx

Oh my Linda, I am so sorry.. I am heartbroken to hear of your ordeal. Listen I know your hubby is up north and if you need anybody to talk to anybody at all even if it's the middle of the night and you want to talk about how pretty the moon is - don't hesitate to call me. I'll give you the cell phone markham number so it's not long distance. If it is I'll call you back - it's a company phone.. their dime. :D

It could be something outside. To tell you the truth Kosmo keeps getting sick and having the runs in the house. I absolutely hate it and stop what I am doing and lay down with him for the rest of the day. It usually lasts about 12 hours. He gets sick like once every few weeks and I don't know why but I am almost positive it's something he's finding to eat outside.

I don't think it is the fish oil personally to be honest because Darby got sick too so it sounds like something they may have both ingested. The racoon poop maybe like you said? I know racoons can carry some nasty things.. :yuk:

Anyways good luck and we are praying for you. *HUGZ* Please let us know the second you get updates..

I'm PMing you my phone number now. If you want to call and talk please like I said don't hesitate.. From one crazy dog lover to another - we understand each other so it's alright. :)

Take care of yourself too Linda.. Take some time out and have a hot chocolate and try to think about the good side of things.. he's getting a bit better you said and his stools are a little firmer.. try to keep on the positive side of things even though it might be hard.. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Oh poor dogs and poor you! What an ordeal.

Fish oil could cause stomach upset. One of the uses for cod liver oil for example in humans is to ease constipation! Monica Segal does not recommend giving more than about 550mg of fish oils as I recall and a lot of the capsules have far more than that. Also there are studies where large doses of fish oil have made dogs vomit and have diarrhea, so that could well be the problem, especially if it stopped when you stopped giving the supplement. My dogs initially got runny stools when I first started giving them sardines occasionally.

I hope they're both much better.

Oh no Linda. I am hoping you will be posting on your vet visit soon. I would be in tears too. They are your babies and it is so scary when they get sick. I remember having diarrhea and some vomiting go thru my 7 a couple times in the past year...it is horrible. You just want to make them better. I hope both boys are feeling better when next we hear from you. Keep us updated!

Linda, I just returned home a short time ago and started reading this thread. Two of my cavs have gotten loose stools from fish oil, so maybe that could be it.

One other thing I'm thinking of is toadstools. Last summer, in the evening I pulled a partially eaten toad stool from India's mouth, and immediately called the vet's office. While I was on the phone with the receptionist India vomitted up some toadstool. The vet was glad she vomitted so quickly. I was told to keep a close watch on her so she would not become dehydrated. She did vomit several more times and had diarrhea, but she was able to hold down water the next morning. I waited the 24 hours, then fed her chicken and rice, and she recovered.

August is the month for toadstools around here - wondering if that may have caused Dudley's problem?

Also, could they have gotten a parasite from drinking water from a river, stream, or lake?

I hope both of your babies feel better soon. :flwr:

Thank you so kindly to all of you, your concern means the world to me.

I am so so sorry it took me so long, while on the Hwy somebody ahead had a major accident which caused a major major traffic jam.

Anyway I was so upset as I was late for my appointment, and the Vet God Bless her stayed behind and waited for me. My Vet will also meet you in the middle of the night at the clinic if necessary, this was something that I had forgotten about or I would of taken him last night.

Just as well as she feels that Dudley has gotten a Bacterial Overgrowth which is causing him Gastro problems, his temperature is good so this is a good thing and he is not dehydrated.

He was gasing (sp) really really bad in her office, this is what she wants to do.

Tommorow morning I am to start this medication

1. 2ml of Sulcrate twice daily 1 hour before meals and any meds.

2. Tylocine 50mg Capsules 1 Capsule twice a day for 5 days.

3. Acute Care Oral Paste 5 ml twice a day (She gave me 15ml0
She also said this medicine works extremely extremely well and quick
If Dudley has not shown any improvement by Wednesday morning I
am to bring him back for blood work and xrays.

She feels that he may of ate something, but feels confident the above meds will work. She offered to go forward this evening with the blood work and xrays if I wanted, but she did feel that the above medications will work and only offered this as a comfort to me.

While I was there I also had her check Darby, as some of you are aware I was concerned about Darby's eye last week.
He has a small eye infection starting so he is now on BNP Eye Ointment
2 to 3 times a day.

I am so so upset and can only pray that these meds will help my boy, I really still don't know what happened but the Vet feels he ate something she said if he has managed to keep the water down today without throwing up this is good. It breaks my heart to see my baby trying to go potty and he can't my son Derrick came with me and sat with Dudley the whole way he pooped in the car and Derrick was so upset, we could do nothing as we were once again stuck in a huge traffice jam on a major hwy.

I will let you all know how my night goes, I am hoping to get a bit of sleep as I want to get up early in order to start his meds.

He is to get 1/4 cup of boiled rice and Chicken in the morning and if he
is okay with that I can give him lunch then dinner.

Please please send positive thoughts for him, she said he is not dehyrdrated and he is now actually drinking water on his own too.

Hopefull by this time tommorow night I will be posting that I have my boy back. :xfngr: :xfngr: :xfngr:

She also feels the only reason my wee baby got sick is because of the sudden change of diet. Hard lesson learned on my part, but Darby is fine other than his eye I am not feeding him tonight I will wait until tommorow.

Karlin: I use the liquid fish oil and only gave him 1/8 of a tsp, she did not
feel that this was the case.
She did ask if he was in the lake, I told her yes about a week and
a half ago so that counted that out.

One can never be too careful.

Oh thank God Linda!! I am glad she feels like it's going to go away soon. I couldn't go to bed tonight because I was waiting for you. :lol: I am glad everything is alright though. Like I stated before if you're unable to sleep or upset or whatever the reason you're welcome to call me even if it's the middle of the night. I understand how you feel as I've been there myself. Thank goodness your son went with you to the vet.. must have been comforting for the boys to have someone keep a close eye on them the while time. Do take some time for yourself to unwind and take care of yourself.. ! Your boys are going to be just fine. :flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Back