• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Missing Bark

Denise G.

Hi! I'm new to this forum--though I've been lurking and learning for a couple of weeks. I just brought my new little girl home on Thursday and she' a delight! She's a Blenheim and is seven months old. I don't have a picture yet, but will post one shortly.

I had my vet check her out--no heart murmers and very healthy. I'm so thankful, as I've already fallen in love! Oh, by the way her name is Mia Bella and she's very prissy--ha!

Here's my problem/question...she doesn't seem to have a voice/bark. When she barks which hasn't been much, it sounds like she has laryngitis. Unfortunately, yesterday she got her foot caught and started barking/yelping but there was no sound. Her foot is fine by the way, she was just scared. I put a call in to my vet and the breeder--but the vet was already gone for the weekend and I haven't heard back from the breeder. As long as there are no health impllications, it's fine with me if she can't bark, though it's a little strange.

I just wondered if anyone else has heard of this before? She's just a sweetheart and is very playful and responsive and brilliant, of course! :)

Thanks for all I've learned so far--and I'm so glad to have found this wonderful loving Cavalier community! :jump:

The only thing I can tell you is that my Shelby is fairly quiet. She can bark when she needs to but in general is very quiet. If she gets her tail stepped on or gets hurts she makes a little squeaking sound.

my daughter Lisa's cavalier belle does not bark. she doesn't whine or cry, where another dog would whine to get out of a crate, she would just scratch with her tone nails. They said she never barked for months, now she has barked once in a while but i think, but not much of a bark. but generally if someone knocks on the door or something, she doesn't bark.

not a bad idea to ask the vet or breeder if there's any reason for concern. Hopefully not.

and congratulations. :)

Hi Denise,

I have one cav that never barked until we got our second cav. We thought something might be wrong with her, too. She rarely barks, but she does whine sometimes and she play-growls when playing with the others.

Let us know what you find out from the vet and breeder. One day she might just surprise you with a bark!

Thanks for your replies. It's not that she doesn't try to bark, she does, though not very often. When she tries it literally sounds like she has laryngitis--so strange. :? I'm sorry, I'm probably not explaining it very well. I expect I'll hear from the breeder and/or vet within a couple of days.

Thanks again and I look forward to getting to know you all.

Denise

Busta didn't bark when we first got him - then he started at about 4 months - now I wished he'd stop barking. :badgrin:

Back