• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Quick Question

Kimmisue

My little girl Honey has one pad on her paw that has rough ..almost cauliflower looking skin. :yikes

It isn't broken open but I am concerned. Has anyone else seen this?
All her other pads are normal and soft.

Thank

ditto your concerns!!

Are we supposed to "hydrate" pads with lotion or something? I know that sounds stupid but Kosmo's pads are rough from walking on pavement and I don't want him to get his feet hurt!

Thanks for the post, Kimmisue!! :)

Some people do use lotion on pads, for example for puppies getting used to walking on pavement all the time or dogs with dry, cracked paw pads. I've never done this though and mine have always done lots of walking on pavement. That non-slip spray mentioned in Shopaholics I think (?) will protect pads somewhat I believe.

For example see:

http://www.doghealthandcare.com/dog-foot-care.html

which I see has a pic of cavaliers. :lol:

Don;t know about the rough texture on just one paw. As always have a vet look if you are concerned, maybe on your next visit.

When treating Honey's feet for her Curly Coat (which had cauliflower dry broken pads on all feet) I found vaseline and bio oil the best. Lotions keep them hydrated but you need a little protection as well, vaseline was excellent...it protected from the loss of moisture from the inside as well as giving protection from the elements. Soak the pads in warm water to soften first then apply to the dry, warm pad. It soaks it up better this way.

Karlin I hope you pick this up...I'm wondering if a piece on Dry Eye/Curly Coat would be an idea....the name is so mis-leading as it's nothing to do with the coat...is there anywhere to place it? I believe it's on the increase ( UK club site) so it might be worth while with the list growing? I could do it if you want.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Busta and Woody had hard pads, they were running around the beach last week after we came back Darren was stroking Woodys paws and his pads were all soft... in the winter I normally use vaseline though.

Both of mine have rough pads. We walk pretty much daily on the sidewalks. They used to have such soft sweet little pads as babies. Their feet aren't hurt in anyway, just tough.

This isn't like rough pads... I will post a picture of it tonight..and the weird thing is ..this little pad is on the side of her foot..it really doesn't make contact with the ground..
and the roughness is on the side not on the bottom.

Thanks again

Back