PDA

View Full Version : 3 DAYS AND STILL NOT EATING !!!!!!!!!!!

Jen114
23rd August 2006, 09:15 AM
I am using Karlins advice and only feeding dry food putting it down and taking it up after 15mins and putting it down again later

She is still walking up to the bowl and then sticking up her nose and walking off........................ I feel sooooo MEAN and BAD and UPSET...

What is she doesn't eat? she is looking GAUNT and SKINNY

ABBY is Weighing more than Kayla now and she is only 16 weeks only :( :( :( :( :( :(

I feel sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Kayla EAT

Claire
23rd August 2006, 09:54 AM
Is she having any treats? How about playing with her ie sit, down, catch and using the biscuits that she is supposed to be eating....

Jen114
23rd August 2006, 10:07 AM
she was having treats yesterday and the day before for sit/ stay/ go to bed etc........ and today i said i will not give her any...

But mY MOM is training Abby and Kayla is there all day and when Abby does a trick KAyla thinks she desevers a treat too or when Abby goes wee wee out side then Kayla thinks she deserves a treat (like she taught her or somethign)

judy
23rd August 2006, 10:08 AM
i don't know if you've tried this, but in Zack's case, although he wasn't stubborn like kayla, refusing to eat for days, he was not enthusiatic about kibble i gave him, and i left the bowl down, didn't take it away, so each day, he would eventually eat all or most of what was in the bowl, but just for what it's worth, there has been a huge difference with Innova Evo kibble, apparently because of the high protein content and maybe because it's grain-free. From the beginning of the first time when i gave him pure Evo, not mixed with the other kibble, he acted actually like he liked it. Now, he finishes everything in the bowl as soon as i put it in, and i don't have to take the bowl away because it's empty. this is really different than how he was before.

like claire said, is she getting any treats, or edible chew toys? i had to stop giving zack any edible chew toys like bully sticks or nylabones because he used them as food rather than eating kibble.

i sympathize with you. even though you are not a bad mean mommy, i can understand how you end up feeling that way. poor you. i hope you outlast her in this test of wills and she comes to accept and even like kibble. i believe it can happen. i don't envy you though. kayla is a determined young lady.

Claire
23rd August 2006, 10:08 AM
Are you using the biscuits you want her to eat - how about putting a few outside the bowl and seeing if she then eats from the bowl.

arasara
23rd August 2006, 11:51 AM
I don't know if you're open to this but I found it very effective to mask the tastes of Kosmo's kibble with something more appealing to him. For instance if we had ground beef or chicken I would cut it into small pieces and mix it in with the kibble so that he didn't have any choice than to eat the kibble of he wanted the meat (and what dog doesn't?) Even small things like green peppers mixed with kibble has helped us. Good luck!! :thmbsup:

Cathy Moon
23rd August 2006, 12:05 PM
I remember you saying in previous posts that you don't have many brands of dog food to choose from in Malta. I'm wondering if there is a high quality canned dog food you could feed her, perhaps mixed into her kibble?

merlinsmum
23rd August 2006, 01:02 PM
you could aways play games with the kibble and make her work for it by throwing it around the kitchen like I did. It takes ages but at least you get something down her.....

Jen114
23rd August 2006, 02:06 PM
well the situation is this..

i have fed her.. Royal Canine/ Nutro/ science plan/ eukenuba/ pro plan/ ceasers/ pedigree/

All the above including other soft food alone/ or soft food with the kibble

-I have also
- put the food on the floor
- boil fresh chicken with veg and mince it with my blender and mask the food.......... when doing this she licked the chicken off
- ground beef
- rabbit
- gravey

PLEASE HELP WHAT ELSE CAN I DO

Oh yes i have played the games too but when i do she thinks a game of soccer/football is more fun than eating it......

She has eaten in the past as otherwise she would not be here but now she is refusing :( :( :( :( :( :(

Jen114
23rd August 2006, 02:11 PM
OH YES

ALMOST FORGOT

the last time i went to the vet she i told her of the situation and she gave me 5 cans of this food which is for extremely fussy dogs and she said she will Definitely love this and she will Definitely eat it

opened it made the funny nosies as usual to get her licking her lips yummy mmmmmm mmmm this is gooood yummm yuuummmmm her lips were getting licked

i put the food down she looks at it and up her nose goes and she walked away

I have also got on all fours pretending i was eating the food

joanna
23rd August 2006, 03:01 PM
God you've tried everything. You have one stubborn little girl there and she is basically holding out on you - she wants something better and she know you will eventually give it out of desperation. Daisy Boo was exactly the same and would go a couple of days without a meal.

Our solution to this was no treats until after dinner. Hold out on the treats altogether - not even a nibble. Twenty four hours with nothing will soon change her tune.

As Karlin says she is not going to deliberately starve herself and if she is hungry she will eat. If she sees you are not coming across with the treats, she will give in and eat.

She reminds me so much of Daisy Boo - she would break your heart trying to get her to eat. She still relapses now and again but she will eat a whole bowl of kibble for me now and I never thought I would see that.

Best of luck,
Joanna

GudrunTheRed
23rd August 2006, 03:32 PM
Stick to your plan and she will eat soon. I know it's very hard but she will not starve herself or harm herself.

Is she drinking her water?

judy
23rd August 2006, 05:14 PM
Stick to your plan and she will eat soon. I know it's very hard but she will not starve herself or harm herself.

i think that havng confidence in this belief, and absolutely no treats, is what conveyed to zack that there was no other choice but his kibble. being casual about whether he ate it or not, no begging him to eat it, no trying to convince him it was good, no acting as if it was any of my business if he ate it or not, it was up to him, and i didn't care, acting that way and truly knowing he would be ok if he chose not to eat as long as not eating wasn't caused by an illness which i knew it wasn't, as long as i knew it was a psychological matter we were dealing with, then my part was finished after i provided the food. as far as mixing things with the kibble went, he absolutely licked them off and left what he didnt' want.

For zack, and your dog may be different but zack convinced me beyond doubt, that if i wanted him to eat his kibble, he could not have any treats, zero treats, for the psychological part of it, because having even one treat caused him to think there were alternatives to the kibble. For him to arrive at the place psychologically where he knew there was nothing for hm to eat but kibble, there had to be nothing edible provided to hiim but his kibble. so for treats, he was giving his toys, non-edible chew toys like ropes. He would act absolutely not interested in the kibble and would play with the toys, and didn't seem to be hungry, and that was ok. that was his business. but after a long day, late in the day, he would go to his bowl and eat all or most of his kibble. i left it down all day and he finally ate it.

i have containers and bags of dog treats up on the refrigerator and in a cabinet that i had to put away in order for him to accept eating dog food/kibble, and i haven't reintroduced them, i have booda bones, nylabone and compressed hooves still in their rapper, never touched by dog. i have been tempted to give them to him, but then i ask myself, what for? He loves his regular toys, he is overjoyed by them, he keeps himself busy with many things. I wonder if he would continue to eat his kibble if i gave him those treats now.

it's fun to give treats so i'm giving up that pleasure, but it's not that big of a deal. the only thing is, zack is very 'busy' when i'm home, and he comes up for attention because he wants to play and this play, fetch and tug o war, gives him important healthy exercise and social interaction after being alone for some hours, but many times, i'm just needing to relax and do something relaxing or enjoyable that doesn't involve him, but he makes me laugh too much the way he asks for attention, it's too cute, and i usually play with him, even if i'm half doing that and half doing something else. But it has occurred to me that like giving a baby a pacifier, or setting a little kid down in front of a TV is a way of an adult getting some free time and space, and i could give him a treat and he'd chew on it, like bully stick or booda bone, for hours, and i would be free. but then he'll probably stop eating his regular food again. i never could bring myself to use the TV to keep my daughter busy either, something about seeing her staring at it really bothered me. with dog chew treats, it's kind of similar except that i see him as doing something that interferes with his nutrition. also, i know it's good for him to have the social interaction since he's alone much of the day.

Cathy Moon
23rd August 2006, 05:34 PM
Royal Canine/ Nutro/ science plan/ eukenuba/ pro plan/ ceasers/ pedigree/
On this list, Royal Canin is probably the highest quality food.

Cathy T
23rd August 2006, 06:12 PM
I had problems getting Jake to eat as a baby. Drove myself crazy worrying about him. I took him to the vet and everything checked out fine. So....I knew there was so physical reason for it. From board advice...I started putting his food down for 15 minutes, he didn't eat it, it got picked up, no treats, nothing but dinnertime. I think what relieved me was being told that dogs WILL NOT starve themselves. Tht was my biggest fear. Would he not eat and get so weak he would die!! Well, being told they won't starve themselves eased my mind. I stuck to my guns. I knew he was getting a quality food and would eat it if I gave him a piece here and there. After a solid two days ( 6 times!) of putting food down and picking it up....he finally ate it. And that was the end of our problems. From then on if he didn't eat I picked it up and fed it to him for his next meal.

Never had that problem with piglet Shelby Sue :yikes

Linda
23rd August 2006, 06:53 PM
I have been down that road many many times with Dudley or shall I call him Mr. Manipulator.

Don't let her away with it, take the advice given here put it down for no longer than 20 minutes and then pick it up and nothing absolutely nothing but water until the next day.

I have had Dudley hold out on me for almost 4 days, I know how you feel because I am once again going through this myself.

Dudley was sick a few weeks back, I was giving him Boiiled Chicken & Rice he devoured it. Now I have slowly introduced the kibble back into his diet and we are now only at all kibble. Guess who is not eating it, Oh well he will and he has lost weight from being sick.

She is manipulating you and will continue to do so if you let her. My main problem before was my Darling Hubby who was sneaking Dudley treats, he now will not give Dudley anything unless he has checked with me first to see if he has eaten his dinner and I have to approve the treats. :D :D :D :D :D

Your not alone, I hope that helps you to find a bit of comfort. I understand how worried you are because I WAS the same way.

Karlin
23rd August 2006, 06:59 PM
A main part of the advice was not to give any treats. :thmbsup: And to make sure she cannot get food from any other source.

Finns Family
23rd August 2006, 11:26 PM
Hi Jen...just checking in - how Kayla doing? Is she caving? Do you still have any hair left or have you pulled it all out :roll:

Fingers crossed for you!

Robyn & Finn (well, from me anyways...Finn may be a little biased toward Kaylas side at the moment!)

Jen
24th August 2006, 02:22 AM
Just be firm and consistent with her in that she gets no treats and you put the food down for 15 minutes and then take it away. She's not hurting herself, as long as she's drinking water, she's only trying to manipulate the situation. Hang in there, she'll eventually get that she's not in charge! ;)

Jen114
24th August 2006, 07:22 AM
Hello there, first of all i would like to thank you all so very much for the support you have given me over this hard time. We are still in the very begginging but we think she is starting to cave.

Yesterday at around 4pm she at 1/3cup of her dried food which was a relief but since then she still has not eaten anything. I really hope that it continues to work it is so so hard!

Thank you again any more advice will be great and i look forward to your messages i will be sure to update you later today

:*bay:

judy
24th August 2006, 08:42 AM
..We are still in the very begginging but we think she is starting to cave.

Yesterday at around 4pm she at 1/3cup of her dried food

:rah:

which was a relief but since then she still has not eaten anything. I really hope that it continues to work it is so so hard!

Keep the Faith! You are doing great! and Kayla is doing great. try to put on an act as if this is not hard for you at all, it ain't no big thang.

but 1/3 of a cup is great, she is just a little thing. when she is hungry enough, she'll probably eat that much twice a day, maybe. It might be best if she is in the habit of not eating a lot. That way, you won't have to struggle to cut down her portions later on if her metabolism slows down and she puts weight on.

Thanks for the progress report, that is great news and you are a good mom to bite the bullet and do what's best for her and to stop doing a crazy dance with her. you really had no choice anyway. she wasn't eating properly despite efforts to make it easy for her. There is nothing to lose. Onward, into the breech!
:hug:

Cathy Moon
24th August 2006, 12:25 PM
So glad she ate her food! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she will continue, and that your stress will be relieved! :flwr:

Claire
24th August 2006, 01:01 PM
Good news Jen..... :)

sarahg
24th August 2006, 01:05 PM
Glad she has started to eat again Jen :thmbsup:

Sarah Xxx

Jen114
24th August 2006, 01:19 PM
:( :( :( :roll:
:roll:
:(
:sl*p:
The battle is still going on

Kayla has not eaten anything again :(

Claire
24th August 2006, 01:53 PM
How about putting it in Abbys bowl..... Busta will sometimes not eat from his bowl - but if we transfer all his biscuits to Ozzys will munch them down in one go.

Finns Family
24th August 2006, 02:08 PM
Yeah for you and Kayla! At least the third of a cup showed you that she will not let herself get sick or starve;-) Keep the faith - we are wearing our Team Jen shirts today :p we will switch to Team Kayla when she eats her next meal ;)

Linda
24th August 2006, 02:48 PM
:( :( :( :roll:
:roll:
:(
:sl*p:
The battle is still going on

Kayla has not eaten anything again :(

Jen:

Hang In, I am now on Day 2 :bang:
I thought I had my problem solved when I was adding the EVO to the rice and chicken and he was eating it. But Dudley is holding out and he will not win. I am right behind you sweetie, I know how upsetting it is I used to get myself into such a state over it I would get sick.

Until I finally realized that he will not starve himself, and Kayla has proven that to you by eating the 1/3 cup.

She can pick up your emotions, so try very hard to pretend it does not bother you. Don't plead with her to eat, as that is what she wants.
Just put the food down and walk away, don't say a word not one word
after 15 to 20 minutes if she has not eaten it,go in and lift it and again
say nothing to her. Show absolutely no emotions about it, she is looking for your reaction. I have been over mountains with this, and as I already said I would drive myself crazy. Let it go, she will not starve herself.

Make sure she is not getting any treats at all, and make sure she has not hidden any bully sticks anywhere.

merlinsmum
24th August 2006, 05:41 PM
Any more food gone in Kayla's tum yet? Merlin's decided he doesn't like the red triangles in his kibble now - must be something in the air!

Sharon
24th August 2006, 08:04 PM
I am fairly new to this puppy business. We have only had our Cavalier 4 weeks and he is just 12 weeks old. The vet gave us Science Diet and Wrigley loved it. However, many people said that it is not really that good. I have decided to get a better brand of dry food, but also cook healthy meals for him.

Yesterday, Wrigley had his first taste of boiled chicken, carrots and brown rice. Needless to say, his head didn't come out of his bowl until everything had been eaten. This morning, he didn't want anything to do with his Science Diet which he loves, and kept whining for some of the home cooked food. I went to the store and bought Royal Canin and put some in his bowl when I got back. He ate the lot!

While he is so young, he gets breakfast, lunch and dinner. I am going to be firm and only give him home cooked food for lunch. If he refuses his dry food after that, he will have to go hungry.

The people on here seem to be very knowlegable about their Cavaliers. I am sure it is just like having small children. Some get very fussy with food and worry their parents sick, but if you stick to your guns and don't give in, they will eventually eat when they get hungry.

How long has it been since Kayla ate anything?

Jen114
24th August 2006, 08:46 PM
Oh know :sl*p:

I hope i did not blow it.... this evening i thought it would be a good idea to try and give her one pellet in her mouth to see if she will get her mouth watering.... she ate one pellet after the other from my fingers... and then i gave her a bit from my hands icon_blshing OH KNOW don't smack me iprob should not have done that but i could not see her not eating... well needless to say she ate all her dried food but i think that it is a start that she is actually eating the dried.... I am hoping she will eat on her own tomorrow as i have smacked my self and will not do that again :sl*p: :oops:

angie
24th August 2006, 08:52 PM
oooh isnt it funny how these little bundles really tug at our hearts. they really know how to get our attention. my jadan who is now five months has been exactly the same EXACTLY!!! i thought i had written the page myself when i saw it. i to think that i have just spoiled him so much giving into him with so many other different ways of getting him to eat, play,from my hand, in a kong toy, mixed, unmixed ,gravy, cheese, warm water, chicken, fish, ham etc etc. Just as you think you have cracked the code...nope. tonight i took him for a short walk first and left the food down and taken him out for 15 minutes and because it took his mind off the challenge of getting me to give him something else he came in and went for his water then..mmm. maybe its not that bad and i am a bit hungry.. why not. then it was gone. As i didnt make a fuss when we got back and maybe just put the kettle on he just went for it. it hasnt worked every time. once i took him out for so long that when he got back he prompltly fell asleep he was so tired out! i am still going through it at the moment so can sympathise completely. I am going to perseviere though and leave the food out as it is dry. i have lifted :sl*p: it before but tonight he only ate half before his walk and then i forgot to take it away, when we got back from the walk he ate the other half. normally i would have taken it away and so he would have been hungry. if someone cracks it then please let us know. When he went two days without because i took it away after 15 mins he started scavenging on the field he was so hungry that i had to keep him on the leed after that just so he wouldnt fill up on stuff!!

Linda
25th August 2006, 01:23 AM
Oh know :sl*p:

I hope i did not blow it.... this evening i thought it would be a good idea to try and give her one pellet in her mouth to see if she will get her mouth watering.... she ate one pellet after the other from my fingers... and then i gave her a bit from my hands icon_blshing OH KNOW don't smack me iprob should not have done that but i could not see her not eating... well needless to say she ate all her dried food but i think that it is a start that she is actually eating the dried.... I am hoping she will eat on her own tomorrow as i have smacked my self and will not do that again :sl*p: :oops:

Jen

Just like I mentioned to you the other day, Dudley was on Day 2 of refusing to eat. I showed no emotion, gave him no treats only water.

Guess who ate his dinner tonight.
Yep, Sir Dudley. :D :D :D :D :D

But that does not mean the war is over, he may hold out again but he won't win.

Only my opinion, but I would not hand feed her you are setting yourself up for a lot of unneccessary work.
Leave her she will eat.

judy
25th August 2006, 06:08 AM
Linda, you sound so strong. No more mister nice guy, huh? :lol:

let's hear it for Linda and Dudley--Dudley ate his kibble. Peace in our time.

i'm with you all the way. You are an inspiration.

by the way, zack has adapted to Evo so much at this point that for the past week, he is acting like a regular nonpicky dog, i put the food in the bowl, a half cup twice a day, and he eats it immediately, leaving the bowl empty. I dont' need to remove the food after 15 minutes because it's gone. but one time, there was a little left so i threw it away. I'm in the groove now. 8)

Jen114
25th August 2006, 11:57 AM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

:mexwav:

:w**h**: :w**h**: :w**h**: :w**h**: :w**h**:

I JUST GOT A CALL FROM MY MOM

KAYLA ATE ALLLLLLLLL HER PELLETS WITH OUT ANY PLAYING AROUND OR ENTICING

I GUESS WHAT I DID LAST NIGHT WAS A HELP AND NOT A HINDER !!!!!!

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

Claire
25th August 2006, 12:14 PM
Glad she is eating - I guess we have all broken the rules one time or another.... :yikes

Linda
25th August 2006, 01:28 PM
Linda, you sound so strong. No more mister nice guy, huh? :lol:

let's hear it for Linda and Dudley--Dudley ate his kibble. Peace in our time.

i'm with you all the way. You are an inspiration.

by the way, zack has adapted to Evo so much at this point that for the past week, he is acting like a regular nonpicky dog, i put the food in the bowl, a half cup twice a day, and he eats it immediately, leaving the bowl empty. I dont' need to remove the food after 15 minutes because it's gone. but one time, there was a little left so i threw it away. I'm in the groove now. 8)

Hey Judy

Thank you, I hate to sound mean but in all honesty I have been going through this for what seems like forever. But my biggest problem intially was my darling hubby who just had to give Dudley treats which only taught him poor eating habits. I finally finally got through to hubby I have no issues with him giving Dudley treats providing he has eaten his din din and they are healthy.

Glad Zack is loving the EVO, which one are you giving him. I checked with the PetStore where I get mine and they have the beef one here in Canada now. Only draw back is that it is a 13 lb bag (I think that is what they said) The one I buy now is only 8 lbs, I asked if they had samples but unfortunately they don't. So once again it will be trial and error, I will wait until next week and most likely go get a bag.

Just curious to know if Zack has tried it yet. ?????????????

Isn't it a great feeling Judy, when you put his food down he does not fuss and he eats it. It is hard for people to understand who don't have fussy eaters. Dudley has gotten a bit better since Sir Darby arrived on the scene, can only hope eventually he will get tired and cave for good.

My other problem was, I was also feeding him Chicken Necks and he would hold out for those forever, I have not given him one in a longtime now. I am also a bit worried to give it to him after being so sick, just want to wait a bit more.

I am so happy for you that Zack is eating properly. :D :D :D :D :D :D

angie
26th August 2006, 10:13 AM
its great to hear that they are eating :p :p it gives me hope too. since my last posting jadan didnt eat after his short walk so that was just a one off too. This time i put the food down as was said and left it there without any fuss or attention. it did make me laugh to see how he would try to get us to fuss over him. i even took his bed away in the kitchen as he used to go and sulk in it till i gave in. looking at his bowl to me waiting for me to add to it. he didnt eat for a whole day. we didnt even call him for breakfast this morning just left it there and again he walked about looking for some attention. but finally gave in and ate some! ;) ;) :p :p didnt hold out so long this time maybe because we didnt fuss, i shall do the same at tea time and hope its not a one off. :jump: thanks for the idea, i shall triumph!!!! i think! :?

Jen114
28th August 2006, 12:03 PM
I am very hapy to say that Kayla has eaten 2 meals a day this weekendonly dried i am very very pleased

Fingers crosseD!!!

Cathy T
28th August 2006, 03:32 PM
Way to go Kayla!!

Cathy Moon
28th August 2006, 04:50 PM
:*nana: Yayyy Kayla!

judy
28th August 2006, 05:12 PM
Glad Zack is loving the EVO, which one are you giving him. I checked with the PetStore where I get mine and they have the beef one here in Canada now. Only draw back is that it is a 13 lb bag (I think that is what they said) The one I buy now is only 8 lbs, I asked if they had samples but unfortunately they don't. So once again it will be trial and error, I will wait until next week and most likely go get a bag.

i went through that same thing, and hated to get such a big bag.

Just curious to know if Zack has tried it yet. ?????????????

no, not yet because belle was here from Thursday til today, and Evo was new to her, and since they each were interested in each others' food, i mixed her kibble wiht his kibble and they ate the mixture, and with this being a change from his routine, i wanted to wait until things are back to normal in a couple of days before starting the new food. I am pretty confident he'll like it, but it remains to be seen.

Isn't it a great feeling Judy, when you put his food down he does not fuss and he eats it. It is hard for people to understand who don't have fussy eaters..

yes. it's kind of exhilarating. like, he's the new zack. It's all simple, i give food, he eats food, life is good. But unexpectedly, this new resolution and new way of life has brought new confusion and questions to my mind. Like, when he completely cleans his bowl and then goes back sniffing it to see if there's any more, i start thinking "Am i feeding him enough? I've been leaving it up to his hunger. Now he is still acting hungry. should he be getting more food? He certainly is on the thin side. He hasn't increased in weight in at least 3 months, he's almost 11 months now. Is he finished growing, or is his growth stunted by me not giving him enough quantity of food?

So those are the new set of questions that have been raised by the new zack. :?

My other problem was, I was also feeding him Chicken Necks and he would hold out for those forever, I have not given him one in a longtime now. I am also a bit worried to give it to him after being so sick, just want to wait a bit more.

I can see how chicken necks could distract such a smart and determined boy from more pedestrian kinds of food, a boy with discriminating tastes.
How is his eating now? Does he eat kibble every day?

I am so happy for you that Zack is eating properly. :D :D :D :D :D :D

thanks--it's really quite something. He clicked into a mode of valuing the food he was given, without comparing it to other foods he may have liked better. when belle was here, her parents told me that "she won't eat." They gave me a baggie with kibble in , only because i had asked. They had expected me to feed her the same thing i'm feeding zac, and if it was something other than Evo, something with 25% protein, then i wouldn't think twice about it, but i didn't feel right about just giving her Evo without any transition. So, i mixed the two foods together and gave them two bowls, and the way these guys went about dealing with their meals was, first, Belle woud not be interested in the food. Then zack would come and take a mouthful over to the carpet and lay down and eat it. Belle would go and look at him, then walk back to the bowl and sniff, then look up at me as if to say "I want something else." She would stare at me, meanwhile, Zack kept working at the first of the two bowls, one mouthfull after the other. Finally belle would go to the bowl , waiting for zack to move his head out of the way, and she would take a bite and carry it over to the carpet and lay down and eat it. And from that point on, they were so cute, they would take turns, first zack would have his head in the bowl, then belle, the would each patiently politely wait for the other to move, and then they methodically cleaned the first bowl empty and then moved over to the second bowl, doing the same taking turns at the bowl, getting a mouthful, moving away from the bowl, replaced by the other dog taking their turn. They were so sweet with each other, no competition or growling about who's turn it was, no trying to push anyone out of the way. Belle was here for several meals from Thursday to Sunday and this was the routine they worked out between them at meal times. Whatever they didn't finish, i threw away, but most times they cleaned the two bowls by joint action, first one bowl , then the other.
:d*g: :d*g:

judy
28th August 2006, 05:19 PM
I am very hapy to say that Kayla has eaten 2 meals a day this weekendonly dried i am very very pleased

Fingers crosseD!!!

:wggle: you're finding the groove. great work and hurray for kayla for accepting the inevitable. smart girl. stay strong!

Jen114
29th August 2006, 07:27 AM
Thank you very very much for all your support and help!!!

The only thing i am worried about now is i found my husband giving kayla treats last night..... he said that he can't help but give her

The thing is when she does a wee wee out side she does this like dance in the kitchen because she is used to getting her treat for being a good girl and she jumps around and does back flips for her bikkie ..

and she always got one before she went to sleep and now when i was not giving her she go in to one big strop!!!!

Do you think by giving her 3 bikkies a day that we are going to ruin what we just accomplished?

judy
29th August 2006, 08:34 AM
i would LOVE to see those back flips. do you have a video camera, or a cell phone with video?

i dont' think there's a one size fits all for how a dog is going to eat, and maybe you can give a couple of treats and it won't interfere. in zack's case, the problem was more with the bully sticks, things he could chew on for long periods. the main negative i think of with treats is the risk of weight gain as the dog gets older, but if the treats are low cal low fat, then that' s not a problem.

Maxxs_Mummy
29th August 2006, 11:21 AM
Uh Oh another MAN that gives treats when he's told not to!!!! I very often hear my hubby saying 'Don't tell Mummy' and I then get two excited boys racing past me dribbling from trying to hide their treats :roll: .

Why do these men do it? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

On the other hand, I am also guilty of lying on the floor and hand feeding - especially when they are poorly or new to the house. I think in the short term it does no harm & if I hadn't done it with Charlie, I don't think he'd be eating yet.

I usually sit on the floor with the dish on my lap and then get them to come nearer and nearer to the dish, eventually leaving it right by them - they almost always end up taking what's on offer!

Maxx will also take food nicely off a fork but Charlie will try and swallow it :lol: