• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Heart of a Cavalier

Finns Family

I wanted to put this pic up, because to me it really embodies the spirit of and nature of Cavaliers. As much as they are playful, regal and stubborn, they are also so sensitive, compassionate and giving. This is a picture of a day not too long before my grandfather passed away (July of this year) and we were lucky enough to bring him home for a visit. We set up a bed in our back room and when Finn saw him he was all excited and got his ball. My gruff Grandpa was always sucked into playing ball for hours and would throw it everytime it was dropped in his lap. My Grandpa was very sensitive to being touched and when Finn was told "no ball" and was stopped from settling on my grandfathers chest, he promptly found himself a bit of bed where my grandfather could still reach down and touch him. It is one of two days I can remember when Finn wasn't at my heels all day long-Finn stayed with him for the duration of his visit.
222609522_5730e88f69.jpg

As you can see though, Finn still gave him his ball...just in case:) Finn gave Grandpa so much comfort over the last while, I was very proud and when we laid my Grandfather to rest Finn's ball went with him at his wifes request. I miss my grandfather very much as does Finn, but he inspired us to start Finn's career as a therapy dog, which all of us truly enjoy.

I Ditto what Jen said, what a very very touching picture and story.
It made me cry, tears of happiness that your Finn touched your Grandfathers life in such a special way.

God Bless Him May He Rest In Peace, I was so touched that you put the ball to rest along side your Grandfather. *ng*l

Oh my gosh....your story made me cry. What a beautiful relationship. I love that Finn gave Grandpa the ball...just in case. But was content to lay by his side and comfort him. The epitome of a Cavlier comfort spaniel. Just beauitful!!! And oh my....the ball was buried with him....what a precious gesture. Give Finn extra hugs and kisses from me for a job well done. Sweet sweet boy.

I really like this picture of Finn and it reminds me of a recent picture that was taken with Avi's dad and Kosmo. (rare picture warning! his hair was shaved the day before :cry*ing: )

Anyways at the end of July we got a phone call that Avi's father had just had a massive heart attack (scale 5 on a 1-5.) It was absolutely awful and we were in and out of ICU for a few days. He had several operations to remove remaining blood clots from his lungs and heart.. it was just rough.

Avi's dad is generally a grumpy guy. He doesn't get excited about anything and he never ever smiles about anything. Even if we get him an Xmas present, he will leave it by the door until we get tired of seeing it and return it. I call him the grinch (he he,) but something that's surprised me is his reaction to Kosmo. He actually seems happy around him and Kosmo is just as happy to keep him company. It makes me look forward to seeing him on the weekends now that I know he will at least have a few hours of happiness. I have offered to drop Kos off for a day or 2 during the week, but I don't know how he would handle it if he "forgot" to take him out and he had an accident or something.

I really like this picture. This is the day after he came home from the hospital. You can't see it in the picture, but his arms are all purple and blue. This is a rare moment of his dad smiling:

b49894236.jpg

That's a sweet picture. It's amazing what these guys are capable of. My mom is not much of a doggie person...but Shelby sure won her heart over. And my dad is okay with dogs...when he visited he pulled Jake up onto his lap on the couch every morning for a little bonding. Unfortunately my dad's health is not very good and I don't expect they'll come out to visit anymore...I will go visit them. So, I don't imagine they'll ever seen Jake and Shelby again. Something that really bums me.

Finn is a wonderful, sweet boy and that picture and the story made me cry too. I love that the ball was buried with your Grandfather. Cavaliers are amazing animals, but I think all dogs in general are sweet, selfless and empathetic creatures and I can't imagine my life without them.

They may ony be small but they have a HUGE impact on whoever they meet. They seem to know when things are not going so well..

One of my mum's goldens has just been diagnosed with lymphoma sarcoma. Merlin used to jump up at him but I sat down with him in his bed and told him that Uncle Dollar wasn't well and cried with him. We then went to see my mum and Merlin went straight to Dollar - gave him a gentle kiss and then went to mum to give her a big baby hug (as bug baby hugs always cheer you up).

He seemed to know that the atmosphere was different.......

They are soo intelligent and you can't thank them enough for their kind eyes and gentle expression in all the right situations.

I can only thank Charles II for reintroducing the breed as it is today.

Wow. Thanks so much for everyone's kind words and wonderful, touching stories. I love all of the rewards that come with opening your home and heart to the "kids" and am amazed by how big such small hearts can be :) I can't say enough how great this community is even though I have only been part of it for such a short time. I have enjoyed "meeting" and hearing about all of you.

Thank-you Karlin et al.

Sincerely,

Robyn & Finn

Wow what touching stories, I had tears in my eyes about both, but happy tears that these wonderful animals can bring such joy to peoples lives.

This is the most touching thread ever! It'll take me a while to regain my composure after reading all that :(

It is so heart waring though to see how special our little dogs can be :flwr:

Crying again.. oh no.... they always seem to make you feel better no matter what.....

Thought you meant Avi's dad had had his head shaved... then saw... :p

Claire said:
Crying again.. oh no.... they always seem to make you feel better no matter what.....

Thought you meant Avi's dad had had his head shaved... then saw... :p

The part about Avi's dad having his head shaved... :lol:

Very touching stories here! Finn is a very special one! Thank you so much for sharing such a personal and heartwarming story with us! (I really need to get a box of tissue for the computer now....almost every day I weep when I check in with Cavalier Talk!) Thank you to Sara too.

You know, it isn't a total surprise that our precious ones have such compassion and a knowledge that takes us back at times. Every day my two make me laugh, cry and feel deeply grateful that they are in my life. They are little wonders....I feel like God has given me a very precious gift.....

Gosh... This thread is so touching. Thank you for sharing the wonderful treasures our precious Cavaliers are. I hope someday my little furbaby may aspire to be as compassionate, loving, and forgiving.

Back