• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How Often Do You Bath Your Cavalier?

Sharon

Just wondered how often we should bath our Cavalier. I gave him a wash over the day after his visit to the vet, as he came home smelling like the vet office, which wasn't very pleasant. Made our sweaters smell like it too after we cuddled him!

Also, what shampoo do you recommend?

We had another thread going a while back about how often to bathe them, I will look for it and put the link in for you.

I bathe mine at least every 2 weeks. :D :D

Lot of different opinions on how often to bath them.
I use Pet Silk Shampoo Clean Scent, it smells great.
Also have a wonderful shampoo my breeder got for me at a show, it is up north I will try and remember the name and post it after the weekend.

Here is the link to the thread about bathing.

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1735&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Merlin gets bathed once a month usually. He gets brushed every other day to keep the mats at bay - plus the grooming spray keeps him smelling fresh.

I use Crazy dog "Baby powder" shampoo once a month with Pantene Ice shine conditioner just acros his back and tail. It seems to keep his coat a lovely sheen.

In winter he will get bathed (well showered!) more as if we get drenched whilst out I warm him up in the shower when we get back.

He doesn't mind having a bath - he even stands up with his feet on the side when its time for rinsing.......

I don't bathe mine very often; only when they are dirty and for special occasions. I use Vellus shampoo and conditioner.

Every day I clean their eyes and brush them thoroughly, and they get their teeth brushed, too. I wipe their faces with a wet face cloth after they eat canned dog food, etc. :flwr:

Abbey's bathed every 6 weeks when she goes to the groomer, and maybe a time or two in between that if she's dirty. I brush her and wipe her eyes daily, though. I do her teeth a few times a week...trying to be more consistant with that--as in, I put her stuff in our bathroom to remind myself...using a tube of poultry-flavored toothpaste at 6 am didn't remind me so much as make me angry! :yuk:

Oh come on Jen, didn't it taste good. :yikes :yikes :yikes

Dinner early. :D :D :D :D :D :D

I have slacked of in the teeth brushing department too, need to get my act together.
:sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p:

Jen I found the most amazing vanilla flavored toothpaste at Wal Mart!! I don't know how much Kosmo likes me brushing his teeth ( :roll: ) but boy does it do the job for bad breath!! Not sure I could deal with the chicken flavor!! Bless you for being so brave!! :lol: :lol:

Chester has the vanilla-flavored toothpaste and if it was up to him he would probably just eat the whole tube as a treat!

I bathe him about once a month and I use Pet Silk Whitening shampoo and conditioner and he smells heavenly! In between baths he gets a daily brushing and he always looks nice and smells sweet!

I have the toothpaste for the Kong, we we have started to brush their teeth - Ozzy hates it.... head lock time...

LOL claire I put Kosmo on his back on a pillow and trap him inside of my knees. It must be a hoot to watch but at least he can't squiggle away from me. ;) I have more trouble cleaning his ears than brushing his teeth.. :roll:

Our teeth brushing routine goes something like this:

-get toothpaste, and toothbrush out and hide them around the bathtub
-call Finn into hall in the best "here comes some lovin'" voice I can muster
-as he passes the door to the washroom, tackle him from the closet into the washroom
-attach crossties I have rigged up between the bathtub and the handle on the cubpoard door to his collar.
-wedge the cupboard door closed with my foot when he makes a break for it and pulls it open
-casually contort myself into retrieval position for the toothpaste etc.
-while keeping my foot on the cupboard door, twist the other 3/4 of my body into puppy headlock position behind the crossties
-while carpeting the floor with puppy toothpaste, cover the brush with as much as you can
-point the toothbrush in the direction of the clamped shut cavy muzzle and insert under conveniently pouchy lips
-while moving the brush in a circular motion, brush any and all teeth it comes into contact with, cheeks, ears and anything else in the way (Sara - this takes of ear cleaning ;)
-in the time it takes you to string yourself up, odds are you should have hit most of his teeth
-before surveying the washroom, admire your success and ingenuity and know that you have won...kind of...well, maybe you will next time.
-release the dog, scrub toothpaste from carpet, bathtub, wall, cupboard doors and ceiling and carry on with your day. icon_whistling
-works everytime :roll:

Finns Family said:
Our teeth brushing routine goes something like this:

-get toothpaste, and toothbrush out and hide them around the bathtub
-call Finn into hall in the best "here comes some lovin'" voice I can muster
-as he passes the door to the washroom, tackle him from the closet into the washroom
-attach crossties I have rigged up between the bathtub and the handle on the cubpoard door to his collar.
-wedge the cupboard door closed with my foot when he makes a break for it and pulls it open
-casually contort myself into retrieval position for the toothpaste etc.
-while keeping my foot on the cupboard door, twist the other 3/4 of my body into puppy headlock position behind the crossties
-while carpeting the floor with puppy toothpaste, cover the brush with as much as you can
-point the toothbrush in the direction of the clamped shut cavy muzzle and insert under conveniently pouchy lips
-while moving the brush in a circular motion, brush any and all teeth it comes into contact with, cheeks, ears and anything else in the way (Sara - this takes of ear cleaning ;)
-in the time it takes you to string yourself up, odds are you should have hit most of his teeth
-before surveying the washroom, admire your success and ingenuity and know that you have won...kind of...well, maybe you will next time.
-release the dog, scrub toothpaste from carpet, bathtub, wall, cupboard doors and ceiling and carry on with your day. icon_whistling
-works everytime :roll:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

LOL!! That's SOOOO funny.. I got a good laugh from quite a few of those. I am glad I'm not the only one who forces the head lock. .. OK so I have to ask - is that REALLY your tooth brushing routine or did you just write it for fun? LOL :rotfl:

I'm wondering if the puppy shampoo we used on Wrigley has been the cause of his fur coming out (mentioned on another thread). I have bathed him twice since we got him, once after getting him from the breeder and once after a visit to the vet, as he didn't smell too good on those occasions! I will leave it a while before bathing him again and have bought a different shampoo.

What is the best way to clean his ears?

Back