PDA

View Full Version : I may be getting another Cavalier! (x-posted on Cav Conn)



GudrunTheRed
24th August 2006, 09:10 PM
I'm freaking out!!!! My breeder just called and says one of her clients has a gorgeous 1 year old Tri male that she is giving up because she works full time is unable to housetrain him properly. The dog is named Harley and his owner says his has been to puppy obedience class, is neutered and microchipped and is perfect and sweet and everything that a Cavalier should be EXCEPT he isn't fully housebroken.

Harley's owner was going to give him to a rescue group but Mary Ann (our breeder) insisted that Harley come back to her so she can help re-home him. Mary Ann then called me and said she thought of me because I've been saying that I want another one and that because I work at home I will have him housebroken in under a week. PLUS, since Chester is so perfectly housebroken that will help Harley get the routine down that much earlier.

Here's the best part...Harley's owner won't take any money for him! She feels terrible that she isn't able to housebreak him properly and so she just wants him to find a new home where he will be loved and cared for.

I'm so happy and so excited but Mary Ann told me to think about it for 24 hours. I've already talked to Gabriel (my boyfriend), my friends Heather and Lou who also have dogs from Mary Ann and they all say that the final decision is up to me but that I should take him.

I still have some thinking to do, and I want to see if I can get medical records from Harley's current owner so I can look them over in regards to getting him on the PetCare insurance, but all in all I'm very excited and thinking that I will take him.

arasara
24th August 2006, 09:19 PM
First off, CONGRATS!! :)

Secondly, If you end up getting Harley and you don't want him, I will take him!! :D :D :D

I hope everything works out for you! :) :xfngr:

Denise G.
24th August 2006, 09:27 PM
Wow, how lucky are you?!?!? Sounds like a match made in Heaven! I love the name Harley, too. With nothing left to do but potty train, I think it's an ideal situation. Though, you're right about wanting to see his medical records before making the final decision. More mature than I would be--ha!

Congratulations (hopefully)! :jump:

Cathy T
24th August 2006, 09:54 PM
You need to jump on this!!! Wow...that is so cool. He sounds just perfect. And you'll have him housetrained in no problem. What's to think about? :D

Jay
24th August 2006, 10:11 PM
Congratulations! This sounds so perfect! I hope Harley becomes a part of your household. Having two dogs is great, Chester will have a buddy and Harley will have a home with plenty of attention, and you will get a wonderful dog, nothing better than WIN-WIN-WIN!
J.

Karlin
24th August 2006, 10:13 PM
Housetraining an adult is not too different from a puppy -- and sounds like he is already partway there anyway. I'd sure go for this opportunity!

When I got Leo at 10 months he was only partly housetrained BTW. It took a while but with the first dog there as an example the second tends to catch on very quickly.

GudrunTheRed
24th August 2006, 10:15 PM
Cathy,

It's just that I've been wanting another Cavalier but the initial cost of the dog is soooo prohibitive right now. But since this little guy is free the situation has totally changed. I just called my breeder and asked her to ask the current owner if she would allow me to call her and talk to her about Harley so I can get a better feel for him.

Apparently it's the owner's sister who has been communicating with our breeder and the actual owner is all embarassed about not being able to housetrain Harley. I told the breeder to email the owner and tell her not to be embarassed or upset that I will not be judgemental but that I would love to have more info about Harley. Hopefully she will talk to me later today and not be all freaky or embarassed. I also asked that she supply all of Harley's medical records and as much of his stuff as she is able to. Apparently they have no other dog to use the toys/bed/crate so hopefully she will give that all to me.

I just really want the medical records so I can get him easily signed up with PetCare Insurance. It sounds like the owner did everything right with the neutering, microchipping and puppy classes, but somehow there was a big disconnect with the whole house training issue.

I'll keep you posted when I get more info!

Jen
24th August 2006, 10:21 PM
How exciting, this sounds like such a perfect situation for everyone! Chester is going to love having a playmate!! :D

Cathy T
24th August 2006, 11:06 PM
Cathy, It's just that I've been wanting another Cavalier but the initial cost of the dog is soooo prohibitive right now. But since this little guy is free the situation has totally changed.

I've just posted to you on the other board as well...I'm just so excited for you! Yes, I definitely understand the initial cost issue. We had thought about a third and that was the main thing holding us back. Then we decided we are quite happy with two and will keep it status quo for now.

Please keep us posted. This just sounds so perfect. Good luck!

Finns Family
24th August 2006, 11:42 PM
OMG Gudrun...that is an amazing opportunity and I am thrilled for you! I am beginning to think we are kindred spirits you and I...lol. Two redheads with matching puppy sets (soon) and the kicker...I have the most adorable cable puppy sweater pattern for you if you're interested, because I believe you are knit chick like myself :lol: I think your caution and common sense around seeing health records etc is just a demonstration of what a responsible dog owner you are. Lucky puppies:-)

Good Luck!

Robyn & Finn

Cathy Moon
25th August 2006, 01:08 AM
What a wonderful opportunity! I hope this works out for you - Chester will probably love having a brother! Chester and Harley! What a nice combination of names. cl*p

RockNRollCav
25th August 2006, 02:49 AM
How fabulous!! I hope you get him, but of course, it's up to you ;) ;) ;) icon_whistling

judy
25th August 2006, 05:55 AM
as long as the health checks out, you can't beat a free cavalier from your own breeder. worst case scenario, if some unknow problem came up and you couldn't keep him, your breeder would take him and you wouldn't be out any money. Just between you and me, theoretically, the current owner (if she could afford it) could pay someone to housetrain the dog if she is not up to it herself. At worst, she could send Harley to residential training program. It sounds like Harley will be way better off with an owner who is home all day and another cavalier as well. And the current owner will be free of having a dog which doesn't sound right for her. It sounds like she has the best of intentions and has really tried her best, and it's good that she knows her own limitations rather than prolong a situation that might become depressing for Harley as well as her.

I will impatiently await photos. please give updates on getting the medical records and his state of health. I have petcare too and have been pleasantly surprised with how easily and quickly they process claims. I would do just what you are doing, making sure i could have him insured before taking him in.

GudrunTheRed
25th August 2006, 07:06 AM
Thanks everyone for your wonderful words of encouragement and advice. At this point I've talked to my boyfriend and several of my other friends and they all think I should bring him home! My boyfriend is quite excited and being super, super supportive and I love him dearly for it! I couldn't ask for a better Daddy for my furbabies!

I'll post more updates as I have them.

Alison_Leighfield
25th August 2006, 08:23 AM
FANTASTIC....GO for it 100% :thmbsup:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Claire
25th August 2006, 01:02 PM
Same reply as Alison - you gotta go for it - it will be great company for Chester and Harley will be able to learn from him.

GudrunTheRed
26th August 2006, 08:22 PM
Well...the verdict is...

I've decided to pass on this one. I've thought long and hard and I've got a lot going on right now with work and my boyfriend moving in a couple of weeks and I don't think I will have enough time or energy to devote to Harley right now. I want to do what is right for all of us and having Gabriel move in and integrating all his stuff into my house will be plenty of work for a while. Once we are all settled maybe then we will consider getting a second furbaby.

I told my breeder I'm passing on Harley but to let me know if she ever has any others that need to be re-homed. She has several other people who want him so he will definately be going to a good home anyway. I know he is a wonderful opportunity, but I'm just not 100% on it and I feel like I should be 100% in order to give the new dog the proper positive energy and attention.

Thanks for all your support everyone!

Denise G.
27th August 2006, 05:51 AM
I know that must have been a tough decision. It's no small task to bring a new puppy into the household and it's important to be sure it's a good time. There's sure to be another puppy when the time is right. :)

GudrunTheRed
28th August 2006, 05:36 PM
Here's the latest update...

I just called my breeder and the woman never brought Harley back on Sunday like she had scheduled AND she never called to give any update or explination. The lady sounds like a real flake, but hopefully she decided she would work with Harley and get his housetraining under control.

Sigh...how nervewracking!

Mary
28th August 2006, 05:47 PM
Oh my! It would have been a sad day had you set your heart on picking Harley up. Like you said hopefully the owner is working on correcting the problems with Harley.