• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Any suggestions

judy

this is about a delicate subject--dog poo smell.
it seems to have gotten worse since i first got zack.
I got a big trash barrel for the backyard with an airtight suction lid, put 33 gallon liners in it, and pick up on average 2.5 poops a day and put them in the barrel. I pick them up with MuttMitt pick up bags and i used to fasten them with wire twisters but now i tie them shut, making a tight knot. The next time i open the barrel to put anohter one in, like later that day or the next day, the smell is overpowering. :yuk: I can't leave my door open as it stinks up my house. How do people manage this? do you put it in the toilet each time? It's amazing the way, even though it's inside the mutt mitt, fastened tightly, still the odor comes through. I guess the heat has made it worse, but it was always bad. I can carry it out to the big communal dumpster each time but then, the dumpster is by the apartments and i don't want to put the smell over there either. At least my barrel has an airtight lid, the dumpster just has a loose fitting top.

do other people deal with dreadful odor, or are there some good waste processing procedures people could enlighten me about.

I tried sprinkling Nature's Miracle litter treatment in it, that didnt' seem to have any effect.

Do you have dog poo collection bins around by a park etc....in the U.K where I live every park has them. I collect the doings in a dog poo bag and then drop them in there twice daily...the council then collect daily and they get rid properly.
We get an excellent service with free poo bags available for collection from the town council offices as well. If you get caught not picking up the fine is £1000!!! and they do get caught... and their names get printed in a local area newspaper..."name and shame"

We can also buy home chemical disposal units...they are like small bins which you bury in the ground and then put chemicals in, then you drop the poo in ...and the chemicals then do the rest.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Thank you Alison! I've seen those chemical things for sale at the pet store. I will check into that, the sooner the better. Also yes, the dog park does have trash cans for poop. I could definitely make a poop disposal run daily.
I hadn't thought of that at all. great suggestions.

We have a small plastic waste container with a hinged lid that we put a clean liner bag into each week. We keep it outside in a corner partially protected from weather by our deck (but not on the deck.) We pick up waste using small recycled bags and put it in the container all week, then put the bag into our trash every week. It probably smells a little, but we don't notice it.

I would love to get one of the in ground disposals. That seems like the best way to get rid of doggie waste.

I do poo patrol each morning, in nappy sacks (which smell sorta nice), then into a plastic bag - these are then thrown into the dog bins.

Claire said:
I do poo patrol each morning, in nappy sacks (which smell sorta nice), then into a plastic bag - these are then thrown into the dog bins.

This is what i do too, but for some reason i am getting such a powerful odor.
I'm off today to look at one of those backyard chemical things. I hope it won't be something that will cause there to be toxic chemicals in the soil. I'll report back on this. First I'm off to the pet boutique to try and get belle a Puppia harness. Lisa and Joe still use a neck collar on her, i haven't been able to sway them to avoid it because of SM risks. But lisa is a sucker for certain kinds of fashion. who could not love a puppia? :D If they decide they don't want it, then Zack will have one in green or sky blue. :flwr:

Back