PDA

View Full Version : Cailean's In Hospital

misty
26th August 2006, 05:44 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts please :( :(

My baby took ill this afternoon, after we had been to visit a friend and their doggies.

On the way back he became very breathless and wheezing/coughing. We got him out of the car and he just lay on the ground and couldn't get up. His tongue had gone grey.

We got the number of an emergency vets and took him straight there. The vet gave him oxygen and a respiratory injection. His heart rate is about 200 beats per minute :(.

We were about 50 miles from home, over an hour's drive. As he was so agitated, the vet thought it best to keep him in hospital under sedation.

We thought this was also the best option, as our own vets don't work weekends anyway, so if there'd be a problem on the way back or this evening, he'd have a long journey into Newcastle to the emergency vet. I didn't want to risk this, as Declan died on the way to the emergency vet.

He is very very ill. I can barely type because I can't see through the tears. I don't know how I'll cope if he doesn't make it and I'm not there, but I do think we're giving him the very best chance.

Need some hugs, guys.

-leah-
26th August 2006, 06:10 PM
aw im so sorry to hear ur little 1 is sick... hugs all round from leah bailey and holly :flwr: xxx

Karlin
26th August 2006, 06:36 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that Cailean is having these troubles and also that you are going through this. I know how heavy a burden this must be, with you having gone through an illness and death so recently. I truly hope they can stabilise him and get him on to a treatment regime that will give him much more time with you. How difficult for you that this is all happening away from home -- I think you have taken the right decision but it must add an extra level of strain for you. My thoughts and good wishes are with you and Cailean. :hug:

misty
26th August 2006, 06:40 PM
Tbh, I've lost any sense of logic.

My head knows he's in the right place. My heart is aching for him to be here with me.

brid kenny
26th August 2006, 06:49 PM
Thinking of you. Hope he's well soon. :flwr:

nlg679
26th August 2006, 06:49 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts coming your way :(

Nancy
NJ

Maxxs_Mummy
26th August 2006, 06:50 PM
Oh Fran I am so sorry. I have only just found your text :(

Thinking of you all and hoping and sending positive thoughts for Cailean.

Maxx and Charlie send licky get well kisses for Kaylun as well xxxxx

Poor darling Cailean, he is in the best place Fran. It's you who I am worrying about too. You just don't need or deserve this now. Neither does Cailean & especially as he's just gotten a new friend too :(

Big hugs to you all xxxxx

misty
26th August 2006, 07:15 PM
Vet just phoned.

He's calmed down a lot and is resting. She took him outside for a wee and he got himself all over-excited again. He's now settled back down and vet says he's better than earlier. Now got to wait til they ring again tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone thinking of him.

Donna - I'm in bits. I'm useless without my baby. :(

Cathy T
26th August 2006, 08:34 PM
Fran, good news that he is a bit better. Praying for his recovery and sending you big warm hugs!

Jen
26th August 2006, 08:50 PM
We're thinking of you and Cailean, I'm glad to hear he's doing a bit better. :flwr: Try to stay positive and strong for him. :hug:

Cathy Moon
26th August 2006, 09:10 PM
Fran, we're sending all of our positive wishes and hopes and prayers for Cailean's comfort and healing. And we're thinking of you and your family during this difficult time and hoping you'll get a good rest tonight knowing he is in good hands.

Maxxs_Mummy
26th August 2006, 09:26 PM
Oh {{{{{{{Fran}}}}}}}} I can imagine the state you must be in :( I'd be the same :(

You've got my number if you want to chat. Anytime!!!! Otherwise I will call you tomorrow. Sending little Cailean lots of positive and healing thoughts and hoping he has a quiet night xxxxxxxxx

Alison_Leighfield
26th August 2006, 10:00 PM
Fran, I PM'd you, take care and hang in there, you have my number, lets keep positve, try and get some sleep tonight...I know it's hard...let us know any news A.S.A.P.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

WoodHaven
26th August 2006, 10:49 PM
Huge HUGS and supportive thoughts and prayers for you and Cailean--

Mary
26th August 2006, 11:16 PM
Oh Fran...my heart is so sad with this news. Hope tomorrow is a brighter and better day for Cailean. Hugs to you both.

RileysMom
27th August 2006, 02:32 AM
Hang in there Fran. I know you are just sick over this and I'm so sorry you are going through this away from your home. You and your sweet baby are in our thoughts.

Get better quickly Cailean! Sending you an angel! *ng*l

Alison_Leighfield
27th August 2006, 07:12 AM
Fran,

Have you any news? how are you and your family? (((hugs))) :flwr:

Alison, wilts, U.K.

Nicki
27th August 2006, 10:14 AM
Fran you and your family and darling Cailean are in our thoughts and prayers...was hoping for some news, hope he is better?

misty
27th August 2006, 01:18 PM
Cailean's feeling much better and is home with us :D :D

We've just got back from the vets. He isn't on any extra medication, but we need to try and keep him calm! Cailean's a nutter, so that's almost impossible.

I think all but the shortest walkies are out now, and I'll take him to our vets on Tuesday after the Bank Holiday.

He seems ok at the moment - we're just so grateful he appears to be over this scare.

Thanks so much to everyone for thinking of us, and for your messages of support.

Fran x

Mary
27th August 2006, 02:01 PM
Yay! glad to hear that good news this am. Hope you can keep things quiet for Cailean.

Jen
27th August 2006, 02:13 PM
Great news! I'm glad he's home, that will make him feel better, too. Keep us posted as to what your vet says. :flwr:

Maxxs_Mummy
27th August 2006, 02:48 PM
Replied to your PM, Fran. So glad that Cailean is home again.

MaxxY and cHarlee send K-lun extra big licky kissus to get well soooooonnnnnnn xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Alison_Leighfield
27th August 2006, 03:25 PM
Fran,

:mexwav: :mexwav: :mexwav: :mexwav: :mexwav: :mexwav: :mexwav: :mexwav: :mexwav:
Fantastic news that he is home, so happy for you all!

Hugs and :lotsaluv: for Cailean.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

arasara
27th August 2006, 04:26 PM
Good news!! Thank God!! :) I am so happy for you Fran!! :) Cailean is such a strong little man!!! :) Take care of yourself and I am so happy for you guys!!! :) :) :) :jump: :fool: :jmp: :*nana: cl*p :mexwav:

Cathy Moon
27th August 2006, 06:26 PM
That's wonderful that he's home with you! Yay!! cl*p

elaine181000
27th August 2006, 07:00 PM
Woo hoo!!!! Congrats on getting him home . . . it must be such relief. So glad to hear he's better :D

Cathy T
27th August 2006, 09:07 PM
So glad he's home and apparently recovering. Keep up your strength..both of you!

merlinsmum
28th August 2006, 11:53 AM
So glad to hear he is back home..... Our thoughts are with you

misty
29th August 2006, 11:40 AM
Cailean's just seen his favourite vet.

She is adding Corventyl to his medication and also increasing his Frusemide a little. He's got to return to the vet in a week to see how the Corventyl's going.

He spent most of yesterday evening coughing and coughing :(.

The trouble is he works himself into a frenzy whenever he leaves the house so by the time the vet sees him, his heart is always racing. His resting heartbeat is fine at home. No more walkies :(, allow he can play in the garden.

As far as 'first aid' goes, the vet says the best we can do for him is to make sure his airway is clear and to keep him conscious, if this happens again.

He's such a funny, lively boy - I know he's going to burn himself out. Just need to take each day at a time now and enjoy having fun and cuddles with him.

Mary
29th August 2006, 11:43 AM
Oh Fran. Sorry to hear Cailean is having such a time. Hope these days to come are good ones for as long as they can be.

Cathy Moon
29th August 2006, 12:02 PM
Fran, I hope the new meds work well for Cailean. Sometimes I wish vets would do house calls!

What a lesson these pups teach us - to live in the 'now' moments, and stop worrying about the future. Cherish every moment with your funny lively boy! :D

arasara
19th September 2006, 10:57 PM
Fran,

How's our Cailean doing now!? Jumping up and down like a mad man again I am assuming?! :yikes

merlinsmum
21st September 2006, 01:12 PM
Fran,

How's our Cailean doing now!? Jumping up and down like a mad man again I am assuming?! :yikes

Yes Fran please let us know how he is now....

misty
21st September 2006, 04:43 PM
Fingers crossed, Cailean's acting like a mad thing, yes :D

He's peeing like crazy (Frusemide) and wagging like it's an Olympic sport.
He's having a few troubles with Bradley, who has decided he hates Cailean :?

Cailean's coat is better than ever and when he saw the vet a couple of weeks ago, she said if she hadn't known his history, she would've thought he was perfectly healthy by just looking at him.

He is happy and loving and enjoying whatever time he has.

Thanks for caring.

arasara
21st September 2006, 11:07 PM
what wonderful news .. It makes me so happy that he's doing so well. :) I was so worried about him! :) I am glad his coat is coming back and he's wagging like crazy! :) Now what are we going to do with bradley? :yikes lol He will get used to him! :) It took my mom's min pin about a year before she decided she liked the JRT but she likes her now! :) Take care ! :)

Cathy T
21st September 2006, 11:50 PM
That's wonderful news!! I'm so happy!! :flwr: