• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New little lady

cecily

Just picked up my 8 week old little girl, who we've christened Rio. :drivecar: She's the most affectionate little thing... you wouldn't believe! She wasn't content just sitting on my lap the whole way home, she wanted full cuddles and her head on my shoulder. I can't believe how different she is to Aggie, our last cavalier. Aggie was a right tomboy and really playful and independent from day one. She didn't cry at all and stayed downstairs without a fuss from day one. Rio is at my heels constantly and crying to be picked up all the time! She cried for 10 minutes when I put her in her crate even though we were right there and she must have been exhausted. How am I going to get her to sleep at night!?? The cats are quite interested in her but she just gave them a quick sniff and then wanted to be picked up again. I'm sure it won't be long before they're playing all the time.
:jump:

h*lp
Quick question about night time toilet visits... How many times should I get up to let her out during the night? And after how long about will she be able to hold it all night? :v*cuum:

Anyway here are some photos! Isn't she cute?? :D 8) :)

Rio says goodbye to Daddy...
Resized_2006_0827RioandJess0233.jpg

How can you resist those eyes??
Resized_2006_0827RioandJess0244.jpg
Resized_2006_0827RioandJess0255.jpg

Running away from the cat!
Resized_running.jpg

Bedtime
Resized_2006_0827RioandJess0279.jpg

Jess investigates
Resized_2006_0827RioandJess0281.jpg

ah she is just gorgeous, she looks just like holly when we got her 1st... when our 2 were pups they went to bed at around ten we got up at 4 or 5 for a toilet break and then back to bed until about 8 bailey stopped wetting in about 2 weeks but he was 12 weeks holly was 8 weeks so you couldnt be guarenteed a dry night with her until she was about 5months!!!! good luck :flwr:

Oh she is just a cute little peanut! Great photos, the one of her running looks like it could be on a calendar!

she is adorable. they each are so different. rio is needing reassurance and warmth, and she is getting plenty of it, and she will soon learn that her world won't change again. It seems pups differ in how they react to change a lot. she is going to have a wonderful life, congratulations! :flwr:

What an absolute doll. She is just precious. Luckily it's been so long since I had to get up in the middle of the night...I don't remember! I think we got up after about 5 hours with Jake but he was 10 weeks old when we brought him home and Shelby was 12 weeks. There's a big difference between 8 weeks, 10 weeks and 12 weeks.

Congrats!

You can estimate that they can hold themselves for a maximum of 1 hour per month of age up to about 8 hours when adults, in a pinch (that's a long time for a dog to hold itself every day though).

However they can hold themselves longer when asleep as all the activity is what starts them having to go. Also they usually need to go *right away* when they wake up from a nap.

At htis age, figure on taking her out once in the middle of the night, probably at about 3 am or so depending on when you'll be up in the monring. She may npot need to go, or she may only need to go out for a shprt while (a wekk or two) or as noted it can be a while. Most puppies are fine sleeping thru the night by about 12 weeks though.

I've posted a must-read on housetraining into the Caring for your Cavalier section which will tell you all you need to know. (y)

It's here: http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3303

I'm so jealous!

Rio is so sweet. We are planning on getting a Blenheim soonish and the more I see posting, the more impatient I become. Enjoy your cutie!

Lisa

When i first brought zack home, he was used to sleeping with several other dogs, and then he suddenly had to sleep alone. I tried keeping him in a crate in my bedroom and it worked great the first night, but the second night, he cried in the crate, and i don't have any leeway to let him do that, my neighbor's bedroom is right above mine and the walls are thin.

So i had to put Zack's crate in the kitchen, that was a room far from any neighbors. He cried :( but he learned pretty fast that he had to stay there.

The day i got him, i went to the ASPCA store for some supplies, and I got one of those soft cloth bags filled with uncooked rice that you put in the microwave and they stay heated for a long time and i put that in his crate, and he laid next to it. It's supposed to help. I have read here on cavalier talk about stuffed doggies that can be heated and have a heartbeat, i think.

when i got zack at age 16 weeks, he had begun to get the idea of housetraining at the place he lived before, and he never needed to be let out during the night, and both then and now, at almost 11 months, he stays for about 6 to 8 hours during the night, occasionally more, and is not in a hurry to go out when the time comes. There was never a problem of him holding it. The challenge was just for him to learn the protocol--inside, No, outside, yes.

What a little darling, she looks like a little teddy bear :flwr: I could just pick her up for a cuddle right now :D

Back