• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Urine Infection Again

G

Gillian

Poor Abby has another urine infection. This is the third one she has had since I got her. She is 17 weeks old.
She has been doing really well with the wee wee paper. Although it is still me taking her. Or leading her. Today she did on her bedding while in crate. then the next time I took her and told her do wee wee she got in postiion and started crying. Poor little thing. :(
I phoned the vet and she said to put her on Septrin , again, for five days and then three days later I have to take a sample to her to be examined. Anyone else have this type of problem???

No she isnt. When I called her and told her that she was crying when she weed and had blood in her urine she told me to start her on Septrin right away for 5 days and then 3 days later to take a sample to be examined.

Poor Abby!

Does the vet say anything about what could be causing this? Or anything you can do to prevent it?

Has the vet said anything about Abby's urine pH or whether there are crystals in her urine?

I have one cav, India, whose urine pH is not acidic enough. She has had a few UTIs, but not as close together in time as your Abby. Some dogs have the opposite problem. Just wondered what your vet thinks. :flwr:

She hasnt examined her urine yet. She said that while she is on the Septrim the tests would not give a good reading.so I have to wait until 3 days after she finishes antibiotics.

Poor {{{{{{{{Abby}}}}}}}} I think if it were my dog, I'd be mopping up some wee with a cotton ball and taking it along to the vets for a urinalysis. It could even be a kidney stone or an inherited kidney problem.

I can't understand the attitude of some vets and doctors to just prescribe antibiotics without a proper examination or urinalysis. I know they are expensive but surely, would work out cheaper in the long run?

Thinking of you, Gillian, take care :flwr:

Gillian, after your vet does a urinalysis, she may be able to recommend things you can do like dietary changes or supplements to help prevent the infections. She should also tell you if she sees any crystals and what type they are.

My vet always checks India's urine before putting her on antibiotics. That is when she has seen the struvite crystals.

Hope Abby is feeling better soon, please give her extra hugs from my gang. :flwr:

Abby was examined during the time that she had the other infections.but this time I just phoned and spoke to her , since Abby was weeing blood she said to give her Septrin immediately for five days and then three days later to take a urine sample to be analized.
Our vets are not expensive here . I would have taken her but the vet said no need. Unless she gets worse and upto now today she is not doing blood and doesnt seem to be in pain like yesterday. So hopefully the antibiotics are working. I will definitely take the urine sample to be analized.
I hope nothing is wrong with her kidneys. Well I guess I have to wait.
I have changed so many vets and the one I see now is supposed to be the best. Its so confusing.

My vets are pretty good but anything like an urine infection he wants us in as he checks their stomach, and feels for any lumps, etc.

Hi Gillian, I didn't mean to sound like I was picking on your vet. I'm thinking she must want to give little Abby some relief as soon as possible.

The problem is seeming a bit chronic, so focusing on the cause and prevention might be all you can do, depending on what your vet can tell you.

I know how worrying it is when our pups are sick or in pain. I hope she continues to improve. :flwr:

Thanks everyone for your support! Just thought I would let you guys know that Abby is doing much better. Playing eating and weeing normally. Of course I will continue antibiotics and then take the urine for testing.
Thanks again for all your concern.

If she is having this number of infections in such a short space, it is likely a sign of something off kilter one way or another, so definitely bring her to be checked when she is done with her antibiotics to get the tests run. :)

Some dogs have problems with urine crystals for example and will need to be fed a special diet. There are other things that could be causing this as well -- bladder stones and diabetes for example are other more serious but less likely possibilities.

Also if the puppy is not being taken out frequently enough to wee the bacteria can grow more readily in their bladder and cause repeat infections.

Some say that female puppies are more prone to infections.

Back