PDA

View Full Version : To leash or not to leash....

cecily
29th August 2006, 03:53 PM
First of all thanks to everyone who gave us advice on housetraining etc.. 48 hours down the line and not one accident YET! Bound to happen sometime but she's caught on. I think when I bring her out now she only pretends to go half the time so she'll get her treat!

I was just wondering if you always leash your dogs in open areas such as beaches or parks. Obviously Rio will be staying on a leash until she's taught to come but I noticed she's exceptionally friendly with people and seems to have a little foot fetish. :D

On the way home from the vet yesterday (all well! only 1 and a half kg!) we stopped to get a DVD and I let her walk as far as the shop with us. She passed 2 or 3 people on the way and each time she tried to follow them! Luckily she WAS on a leash! She did the same thing in the vets. When people came in she went over and sat on their feet. I know cavaliers are traditionally very friendly with strangers but this is more than I expected! Will she grow out of this at all to any extent? I just thought if I brought this little tramp to the beach and let her off for a run she'd be as likely to go home with anybody at all! :drivecar:

brid kenny
29th August 2006, 04:19 PM
Yes Phoebe is still extremely friendly still. Always keep an eye on them if off the leash. But they will always want to be home with their owner.

LauraD
29th August 2006, 04:20 PM
Hi,
Well my position has been to never let Riley off leash unless he is in a completely fenced in area. He is very social and will run up to people and dogs with no second thoughts at all. He is completely unafraid and would easily run across a street or up to any dog he sees (friendly or not). :yikes I can not trust him at all to respond to me calling him if he sees something he wants in the distance. So, for saftey reasons i never let him off leash in public places. It would only take one time for him to either: get run over by a car, run up to a vicious dog, or get picked up and taken by just about anyone and I could never forgive myself for taking that chance.
He's just my little lovey boy and i would be totally freaked if anything happened to him. But that's just my opinion.

Cathy T
29th August 2006, 04:21 PM
I can't trust either of mine of leash. They are so curious and friendly they pay no attention to what's around them. Last night on our walk Shelby was obsessed with some birds. If I hadn't had her on leash she would have dashed across the street in hot pursuit. The only time they are off leash is in secure areas. The beach, the park, etc.

Jen
29th August 2006, 05:33 PM
I have to echo Cathy, I think in general they are just too curious and why risk it? I say a leash at all times unless in a secure area. That said, Abbey does very well off leash, but it's on at the lake (no traffic or neighbors) that we've let her off leash and she stays close...but I wouldn't risk it anywhere else.

Cathy Moon
29th August 2006, 06:27 PM
I always keep my dogs safely leashed if not in my house or fenced back yard. If I ever were to let them off leash in a securely fenced area, it would have to be an area small enough that I would never lose sight of them.

Geordie is off leash for agility, always in secure areas. He has been trained to always stay by me unless I use a hand signal to stay or move out.

Daisy's Mom
29th August 2006, 07:07 PM
Sometimes, it even hurts my feelings that Daisy seems to actually PREFER strangers! Calling her back when she's headed toward someone she doesn't know is completely useless. If she sees someone she doesn't know, even if they are 2 backyards away, she's off like a shot and I may as well be calling the tree to come to me, for all the good it does me. We are having a fence company give us an estimate this afternoon, as a matter of fact. We always go out with her, but we now have to put her on a tie-out whenever we go out with her, which I hate. This is the first dog I've ever had (out of 4) that won't come when called. The other ones weren't formally trained to come, they just did out out of pure love.

I wanted her to be friendly, but this is ridiculous -- she's friendlier to strangers than she is to us! :shock:

My dogs I had growing up were "one-family" dogs. They loved us obsessively and had very little use for anyone else. Although I didn't want Daisy to be like that, I would like to think that I'm at least somewhat special to her, and sometimes her behavior makes me wonder. Especially when she is biting at us all the time and then with a stranger she does the submissive laying on her back and wiggling and licking herself into a frenzy thing. I hope she'll do less of both behaviors as she gets older. I know she loves us, but I guess I'm the jealous type! ;)

GudrunTheRed
29th August 2006, 07:12 PM
Cavaliers are the most sweet and attentive dogs in the world until something interesting distracts them...then they're off like a shot! They're not street smart like some other breeds and as a result they should be on a lead at all times when they are out in the unfenced world.

Chester is 2 now and listens pretty well but he can still get very easily distracted by a person or dog walking by so I always keep him on a lead unless he's in my fenced back yard.

Better safe than sorry. It only take a second for your precious furbaby to run out into traffic...

Anna
29th August 2006, 07:22 PM
I feel the same way about Liesl...almost heart-broken that she sometimes prefers strangers over us! It's so bad that when she sees strangers she will just whine and whine until she can get close. Even when my in-laws watch her, she gets so excited and makes herself right at home. I always think, "Does she like here better than with us?" People must think that we neglect her or something. As far as the off leash thing...Liesl has only been off leash in an open space (no fence) one time. My husband and I took her to a dog park that was in a real big open field. I was nervous at first but she did good. I will say, when she sees a butterfly or bird, she is off and pays no attention to our commands!!! I've come to the conclusion that she will always need a leash.

Bruce H
29th August 2006, 07:40 PM
We always tell our puppy people "If not in the house or a fenced yard, then always on a leash. Always. No exceptions". Like others have said, this breed is VERY social and seem to have no street smarts.

I once heard someone say that, to a Cavalier, a stranger is just a friend they haven't met yet. Whenever we have people over to visit our dogs when they are considering a puppy, our guys go to meet them at a dead run! In fact, we crate our dogs when we are expecting someone and let them out just a couple at a time so teh people aren't overwelmed. So don't anyone here be concerned about your Cavalier seeming to pay a lot of attention to strangers; they just want to get aquainted with the friend they haven't met yet. Which is also why they need to be on a leash.

Ste
29th August 2006, 08:58 PM
[quote="Daisy's Mom"]Sometimes, it even hurts my feelings that Daisy seems to actually PREFER strangers! [quote]

That sounds like Cody, although she much prefers strangers who have cars that she can hop into :sl*p:

Moviedust
30th August 2006, 01:36 AM
Friendliness is the middle name of all cavaliers. ;) Even my rescue--raised in a puppy mill--LOVES strangers. She's never been shy to go right up to anyone. Cedar, who we raised from a pup, is just the same. That's why everyone loves cavvies... because cavvies love everyone!

Needless to say, my girls have tons of different leashes, and they are always sporting at least one each ;)

Maxxs_Mummy
30th August 2006, 11:58 AM
. :lol: Isn't this the reason why we love them so very much? :lol: I don't think I've ever encountered such a loving, friendly breed of dogs. I love the way they want to say hello to people, their exhuberance exhausts me :lol:

When Maxx was a pup I trained him that he was to walk past strangers and not jump at them and now he just gives an extremely polite tailwag :D All the kids round here know my dogs and if we go out around school times, they get so much love, attention and fuss from them :D

OK then, as for walking off leash - never !!!!! When Maxx was a pup, hubby took him to the park and the leash broke :yikes. Maxx saw a pigeon and decided it would be a good game to chase it. Right out of the park & straight across the main road. Hubs said he closed his eyes when he saw a lorry coming but thankfully the driver braked and then jumped out to help him catch the naughty puppy. They eventually caught him on a garden wall that had a 20ft drop behind it :yikes

By the time they got home from that walk hubs was in a state of shock and Maxx thought he'd had the adventure of a lifetime - they just don't see danger so I never let them off a lead - especially with Lord Maxx being as deaf as a post these days :roll:

On the other hand, Charlie is like a mini Houdini and can slip the tightest harness at the drop of a hat. He never leaves my side though and always comes when I call him.

Nisha
30th August 2006, 12:35 PM
yea my dogs are exactly the same! when they were very young i could walk anywhere and they would neva leave my side. Now howver they are older and 10000 times more curious and they just bolt whenever they see a stranger or another dog. they will never come when called! i usually tomy embarrasment have to make the person either stop walking or walk up to me as my dogs will follow only them. now i only have them on the leash. but hey, cav's are friendly breeds! what can you expect

hellsbells
31st August 2006, 03:24 PM
This incident is very close to my own heart. Don’t take any chances. Talking from personal experience. :(

Last Wednesday Ruby was in an accident. He will be ok, but this is an absolute warning to everybody that you must little ones on a lead at all times. It's all preventative and will avoid any potential incidents.

What happened was, my hubby had Ruby off the lead in the park he walks every day & as he reached the edge of the park & they were about to get into the car. Ruby spotted a dog across the road & in a split second, he had darted out full speed, and went head first straight into a moving car.

It's actually a miracle because Ruby came out of this incident without any fractures or bones broken. The poor little fellow is badly bruised and his legs are very weak. From Wednesday-Friday he couldn't even walk and thankfully over the next few days he got much better. I would never wish anybody this experience.

Ruby was at the vet today for his weekly follow up visit, and unfortunately the Vet was not to happy with progress. She has given another week of anit-inflam's and pain killers, and wants to see him again next week. I know Ruby will be fine, and he is in great old form. This is worse case scenario and it does happen.

Ruby just forgets that he is not the full 100% & still wants to do all the normal playful things. My heart goes out to him but I know that he be bad to full scale mischief in no time.

Thanks for listening & I will keep you updated.

Helen :thmbsup:

Claire
31st August 2006, 03:48 PM
Oh poor Ruby and your poor hubby - I will never ever trust mine off the lead other than the park which is out of the way of any roads, etc. and can spot other people and dogs as soon as I go in....

sramirez
31st August 2006, 04:06 PM
I worry more about other people's dogs if/when my dogs are off leash, even in my own yard. I have a neighbor with a very aggressive, unruly male dog who over the years has attacked me and one of my cavs. The worst attack was in my own front yard and my dog was on a leash! Hence, need I say what type of relationship my neighbor and I still have? At least his dog ended up getting a fenced yard out of the deal....

Even at the dog park, my girls don't like another dog to come right up to them very close, so I don't frequent there as much either. I'm also always afraid that on my evening walks, someone might back out or drive into their driveway - and not see my dogs if they were off leash.

Fortunately, I don't have the problem with them running off - unless there is a bunny in the vicinity!

Sheri

Maxxs_Mummy
31st August 2006, 04:10 PM
OMG {{{{{{{{Helen, hubby and Ruby}}}}}}}} hope Ruby makes a good quick recovery and your poor hubbies nerves, too.

That's the thing with these daft Cavaliers, they never see danger - only what they want to play with :roll:

Cathy T
31st August 2006, 04:20 PM
Scary story about Ruby. Glad he's feeling better though and nothing was broken.

hellsbells
7th September 2006, 06:12 PM
Hi everybody!!

Just writing to let you know that Ruby got the all clear from the vet today. Last week the vet was unhappy with how his spine was healing. Thank goodness this week, the vet gave him the all clear and told us that we could bring him out for a walk today. Yippee :jump:

Happy days!!

Thanks for all your kind words and support.

:rah: :rah: :rah: :rah: :rah: :rah: :rah: :rah: :rah: :rah: :rah:

Lisa_T
7th September 2006, 08:22 PM
I'm so glad to see that re Ruby. It could so easily have been my Holly during the bank holiday weekend when she did a little runner herself.

I've always loved dogs, but now I find myself eyeing bigger dogs with a jaundiced eye. We were in the park one night- Holly was still on her lead. This girl was walking a very tiny Jack Russell, and a loose collie- walking with his family, mind!- ran for the JR (which was still on the lead), picked it up by the scruff of the neck, and tossed and shook the poor thing. Owner managed to detach it. Then it saw Holly, and dived for her, trying to do the same thing. Being larger, Holly crouched, plus we'd seen the JR incident and I'd been just about to pick Holly up when the dog attacked, so my dad was there. Strange thing, though- Dad said that the dog wasn't vicious at all to humans, it permitted itself to be detached without so much as a snarl. Must have had a bad experience with tiny dogs, or something. All the same, he should have been on a lead!!!

Then there was the boxer that ran off with Holly's favourite ring. That was funny. It was an overgrown pup and could run very fast. Watching it's owners run after it in a big park trying to retrieve Holly's ring was hilarious! :D :D

Remali
10th September 2006, 09:42 PM
That must have been so frightening for you and Ruby, I am glad to hear he is OK!

My dogs are never ever outside without a leash, they are always on the leash. Also, I will never go to the dog park in our city either, there are too many large viscious dogs and nothing seems to get done about the irresponsible owners of these dogs. My friend has a very large mixed breed dog that she takes to the dog park, and her dog has been bitten twice now by aggressive dogs at the dog park just this summer, luckily her dog weighs in at about 85 pounds so is able to shake off the other dog more easily than a 20 pound Cavalier. But, my dogs will never go to the dog park, and I always keep them on a leash. However, it's really getting irritating when I am out with my two dogs and someone else's dog is running loose, or perhaps someone else has their dog loose and is with their dog and lets their dog come up and climb all over my dogs.....what I do is gently push the intruder dog away with my foot and move on and tell the other person that I don't think it is a good idea to let strange dogs just climb all over some else's dogs. There are a couple people who live in my area that have small dogs, and they repeatedly let them run loose, and I just wish that they would wake up and keep their dogs on a leash, it would also be much more safe for their dogs too, there is a fairly busy highway quite near here.

Lisa_T
11th September 2006, 12:07 AM
Re the original topic of leashing on this thread, I've been trying Holly on the Gentle Leader Easy Walk and I'm very impressed. I don't think she's quite so impressed- she trots along quite happily and then stops dead and looks at me- but then, she's taken to doing that on her ordinary lead too, even sitting down and not moving! If you stop for a minute, she'll happily move on, or if you pick her up for a sec and put her straight down, she'll move on then too.... but no circle dances on the harness which is nice :D