• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Heart scan

Buster

Zola went for her first heart scan yesterday (she just turned 2) and the vet said she was very happy with her. She had been very out of breath on some of her walks and I wans't sure if this was a combination of the heat (when it was warm!) and her lack of fitness as she is still recovering from having her patellas done. We've also been working at getting her weight down as she put on a few pounds in the last year due to her surgery and possibly some guilt treats she may have been getting from us icon_whistling , but the vet says she's in good shape there (able to feel her ribs and she has her waistline back).Needless to say, I'm very relieved.
She did say that she has a small nodule on one of her valves, but that it was nothing to worry about. Does anyone know what this means?

Buster said:
She did say that she has a small nodule on one of her valves, but that it was nothing to worry about. Does anyone know what this means?

i don't know what it means, but i'm glad the vet said it's nothing to worry about. i guess that means it's not obstructing anything. Was this a cardiologist?

Here's the abstract of an article
http://inpractice.bvapublications.com/cgi/content/abstract/28/7/376

I think the important thing is that no murmurs were reported, which would probably mean the nodule is not causing any problem. I am guessing that, considering the frequency of MVD in cavaliers, if all 2 year old cavaliers had heart scans, most or many would probably have asymptomatic nodules and in many dogs they will stay asymptomatic for years, and perhaps never cause symptoms.

what is a heart scan? Is it an ultrasound exam?

I'd ring the vet and ask for an explanation of what that means, so that you feel comfortable with her comments. :)

Got a report in the post on Friday from the vet which went into a little more detail. Essentially it means that there's nothing to worry about at the moment, as there are no "compensations" as a result of it, but there's a chance that there will be trouble in the future. Given the fact that we expect MVD in some shape or form in the future solely because she is a Cav, this, I suppose, is pretty ok.

Pam, yes, Zola has had both her knees done.
Judy, Yes, it was an ultra-sound she had.

The aim is to get this done on a yearly basis, so that if and when anything arises, it means we can take corrective action as soon as possible.

Back