• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

what is your opinion on this site...?

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I am thinking about trying to do a few new things with the overall Cavaliertalk domain. One is to enable people to have a profile page using networking software -- so this would be similar to MySpace and Dogster but within the CavalierTalk space. Another is to have an overall 'home base' website that has lots of info on cavaliers -- such as the kind of thing that is currently in the Library, links, breed history, etc -- and where I might do a weblog on cavalier-oriented topics that people could subscribe to if they wanted. The board would then be part of this larger site but would be just as you see it now -- its own site. I've got a request out to some geek friends on whether there's a way of working in some networking software.

Also I have been approached by a guy who is doing advertising that is targetted at dog owners. In other words he places ads for quality dog-stuff merchants and is interested in placing them here. I am considering this -- more in the context of a main site but maybe across the site -- as long as this doesn't include ads for breeders or those puppy finder sites etc that tend to list BYBs, brokers and puppy mills. I know many good breeders use them too but... I'd rather stay away from listing ads for breeders on the basis that it might imply they are recommended. I know people like finding out about places that sell dog stuff, so maybe it would be something people would like; or maybe something people would hate!!

Anyway just some ideas. I wanted to get some opinions from people.

I know I am also overdue for a poll on our new rankings titles but I just haven't got around to that yet.

I think the profile information would be nice. It would help me keep everyong straight! We've had a huge influx of new folks lately, I'm getting somewhat confused. :S

As far as the ads go, I'm a bit skeptical. If it is a necessary thing to do to afford what you do for us, I totally understand. Aside from that, though, I think we do really well to inform each other of products and websites the way it is. My opinion is that, if this businessman wants to target the members of the board, he should join, like Roxanne did. Not only would he develop a loyal clientel of friends, he'd maybe learn more about client needs! And we would not have to deal with annoying ads.

You asked for opinions.... 8)

I should have explained it better. It isn't someone who would join a board but someone running an ad placement business targetting a certain type of dog-oriented site. In other words, this is a professional business that he is kicking off. They would be banner ads I imagine. I don't like anything where I can't control the content, such as Yahoo or Google ads.

I'm not a big fan of ads, and I like the site as it is. I think it functions well and pretty much every topic is covered in an easy-to-use format. :)

I think it all sounds great especially the website, it'll be an excellent resource. The advertising may prove too much of a temptation though, the last thing i need right now is another spending spree icon_whistling If the advertising helps offset the costs of maintaining the board and creating the new site i say grab it :D

I agree with Ste, whilst I'm not a fan of website ads, if it's a necessary evil then go for it.

I like idea of profiles too - we have had loads of new members lately and I can't keep up with it all :lol:

All in all, as you may have guessed - I LOVE the site :lol:

Those sound like exciting changes! I just went to myspace and dogster to see what that's all about, and I like the idea. I'm in favor of ads if they are needed to finance the site.

I like these ideas too. The info sections are a little intimidating to have to click on a message, then click on a bunch of links, so having them more centrally located may be useful, especially for new puppy owners.

I LOVE the idea of profiles. Like the others, I have a hard time keeping everyone straight (and I'm somewhat of a newbie... icon_whistling ) and I'd love to have more than one photo at a time associated with Corgan and me.

As far as the ads go, I'm pretty indifferent. I agree that if they'll help offset some costs, go for it...otherwise I'm pretty impartial.

Thanks for everything, Karlin (and other new moderators)! This site is great!

I am with the others on thinking a profile would really be an asset here. It is hard to distinguish between people sometimes. ;)

As far as the ads go, I am pretty indifferent. If it's going to help to keep the site up, then I say go for it!! :)

Take care and I too, love the site!! :)

Agree with the profile page ... it's great to know who's who and see more information on those that contribute regularly !!!

Not a fan of adverts / banners, but as I think is the general consensus if it's a necessary evil ?????????

I like having the shopping forum to see what good sites/ physical shops people have come across, rather than in overt advertising ..... I really get irked at those sites who over-advertise ... it's counterproductive for them in my opinion as you have negative opinions of them and avoid them .... I would have to see that happen for this site ... it's a great forum .....

I am with everyone else about the profiles and am happy to do the advertising banners, etc. if it is completed as efficiently as possible, ie. no pop ups, junk banners.....
Claire

The info section here is really unwieldy because of the way the board software works -- it won't allow me to create subheadings under which I could arrange related topics. You can do a huge modification to the board but then that can mess up necessary security updates and so on and it is also a difficult modification to implement. So I'd like to get the info part to a web format; I'd like to get a profiles section using some social networking software.... I am asking some programmer friends about some possibilities.

Thanks for all the perspectives and please feel free to add yours, if you haven't yet!

I belong to a few sites that have profile pages...Its very helpful....not a huge fan of banners or ad's only becouse Im on dial up and it takes forever to load a page ;)

I love the idea of a profile page and well placed (non-pop-up) ads are fine as far as I'm concerned.

Great ideas and thanks for continuing to add value to the forum, Karlin!

I've found some interesting software; it would enable people to have profiles, a picture gallery, list their contacts and friends, do their own dog-blog if they want where people can leave comments... the board would remain the central communication place for everyone, but you'd also be able to have your own page for your dogs and other animals of course! The idea would be to keep profile pages more or less about you and your cavaliers and other companions.

I'm looking at ways it could work.

I would LOVE a cavalier resource site. The boards have so much wonderful information, but sometimes is can be a bit hard to find what you are looking for. A site dedicated to the breed and all the important info that most people look for would be just WONDERFUL!!! (y)

Great ideas!!!

An index for health with much more content and health links and more rescue info with help and tips.

Profile page sounds good fun, but not junk adds or sales.

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

Karlin said:
I've found some interesting software; it would enable people to have profiles, a picture gallery, list their contacts and friends, do their own dog-blog if they want where people can leave comments... the board would remain the central communication place for everyone, but you'd also be able to have your own page for your dogs and other animals of course! The idea would be to keep profile pages more or less about you and your cavaliers and other companions.

I'm looking at ways it could work.

Love this idea Karlin as long as we're not creating heaps more work for you.

The profile is a great idea, so many members now it can be hard to remember who everyone is.

Back