• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy playfulness

selina

Hi all, I have another question.
Do cavys keep there playful attitudes throughout their lives? Or do they grow sedate as they age?
Cheers

yea i am also wondering the same thing. i have a friend who has two ruby female cav's and they are very sedated, calm and lazy. but the thing is the were quite calm from the beginning so i dont know what is going to happen to my dogs who are anythin but calm! :lol: . ill have to keep watching this topic and find out the answer!

Well, put it this way, Maxx was 7 last week and apart from going a bit grey, he's not showing many symptoms of adulthood. He's probably naughtier now than he was as a puppy.

When he was a puppy if we said 'No' or 'Ahhhh' to him he'd obey very obligingly. Now, he just looks at us as if to say 'You know I'm deaf, shout a bit louder and I'll think about it' :lol:

Yesterday, he stole a whole pack of six stale bread rolls from the bin (burger sized :yikes ) :roll: , he went on the raised flower beds that hubby thought he'd 'doggy proofed' and had a good scout around and dug up some plants :roll: , he shredded a load of tissues from my sons bin :roll: and when we went for our aternoon walk he pulled me into some brambles and I ended up with a huge thorn in my finger :roll:

Yesterday was a particularly bad day. he's not usually quite so naughty and he's so loving I find it hard to stay or even get cross with him :l*v:

Sorry Donna, but I did start laughing at you going into the bush - am sorry will slap my hand.... :lol:

Donna, that is so funny! It reminds me of our Dalmatian that passed last year. You could yell and scream while jumping up and down and she would just look up at you and I could swear she would roll her eyes from time to time! :roll: She just did whatever she wanted.

Our other older dog Gibson is the exact opposite. You can give her a look and she will lower her head. She rarely does anything wrong, but she knows immediately when she has and will actually come to say she is sorry! Such a smart girl!

When my husband and I got married 3 years ago and integrated my 22lb cat and his 2 dogs, well, Gibson discovered "kitty cookies". We were sitting on the couch on day and she came walking in with her head down and put her chin on the couch. When she lifted her head, there was something gray all over the couch. My husband smelled it and said "I think it's kitty litter". We took a closer look at Gibby and she had a kittly litter beard and both sides of her nose were packed full!!! :yuk:

We just cracked up! I'm not sure if she was telling us what she had done that day, or just wanted help breathing!!!! How can you get mad at that??? :sl*p:

Claire said:
Sorry Donna, but I did start laughing at you going into the bush - am sorry will slap my hand.... :lol:

That's OK but I'll bet your slap didn't hurt as much as the thorn did :roll: :( :lol:

He's been reasonably good today but I wouldn't give him any treats as I've got him on a diet anyway and guessed that 6 bread rolls are enough treats for a week or more. Anyway, tonight, I was sitting in the lounge with Charlie asleep on my lap, reading my book when I suddenly heard crunch, crunch... I looked down to see Maxx chomping on a raw potato :roll: I do feed him, honestly!!!!

cl*p cl*p

Maxx, this is why you're so gorgeous! You're so mischievous :lol:

Tonight Bradley's been sitting quietly, growling at everyone. Eventually discovered he was sitting on a naan bread that he had 'borrowed' from Jennifer when she'd finished with it.

I removed the offending object, but not far enough away - Cailean then jumped up and tried to grab it from the worktop! This is the same Cailean that's supposed to be living a quiet life :roll: :roll:

You guys are too funny. Naught Maxx....you do keep me entertained. Raw potatoes???!! :lol: And Gibson with kitty litter up his nose!! :D

Haha, I can just picture these schenes in my head :lol:

Nóra is very activied, but when she was a puppy...

She ate my fathers telephone, many shoes, you know this bags witch are full of rice, yeah, she distroyd one, uuh... a curtain my mom had been crohceting for one and a half month did misteriusly untwist...

LMAO @ Gibson - why do they love the cat's 'presents' so much :yuk: . My friend has 2 English Pointers who would kill the cats to get to their poops :yuk: . These are normally extremely placid dogs who adore the cats :lol:

Oh Bradley, you are a one. Maxx says 'Go BwadlEe go, if oo wans it den oo shud avs it :lol: '

I'll bet that naughty Mummy took your naan bread away from you too? Were you trying to hatch it by sitting on it? :lol:

Fran, at least Cailean is enjoying life - I've always thought that enjoying life is more important than anything else :lotsaluv: ((((((((Cailean)))))))).

Jenny, bet your Mum was pleased with Nora for eating her curtain :lol:

In my experience they slow down a little bit, but not much. What do I see is that, with more life experiences, they get more creative in the kind of trouble they can get into. What I find really interesting is that many times its the older ones that spend the most time with our litters of puppies. We actually encourage the adults to play with the puppies because it teaches the puppies to be dogs and keeps the older dogs young at heart. Kind of like me playing with my grandchildren.

Maxxs_Mummy said:
Yesterday, he stole a whole pack of six stale bread rolls from the bin (burger sized :yikes ) :roll: , he went on the raised flower beds that hubby thought he'd 'doggy proofed' and had a good scout around and dug up some plants :roll: , he shredded a load of tissues from my sons bin :roll: and when we went for our aternoon walk he pulled me into some brambles and I ended up with a huge thorn in my finger :roll:

Sorry Maxx's mummy - thats just so funny! I keep chuckling to myself!

Thanks for all the letters they are great. I to prefer to let my older dogs play with the younger ones. I have an old Griffon who has never played with anyone, until I was discovered by 3 Golden retrievers. Now they all play together. Its like Faith (the old one) has a new lease on life. Jeremy is just discovering that the golden girls are great to play with, and they run laps around they house and garden together. He is not quite old enough to get into things yet, but loves to nibble toes and do wheelies. He met my pony the other day. she came over to see what he was I think. But he wasnt worried. I wish I had a camera though it looked really funny :lol:. But when he sleeps its no his back with his paws in the air.
From Selina, Jeremy and the Golden girls

Back