• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Grass to Mud

Nisha

hi everyone. this is kind of a dog related question i gues...well not really but anyway ill ask. has anyones grass yard turned to a mud patch after getting dogs or is it just me? because for some reason the yard has no grass in it and is just full mud. outside of the fence there is grass growing like anythin but not inside. does this have anything to do with the dogs trampling on it on it or maybe their urine? because every time it rains now and the dogs go out they come back in their beautiful fur and paws are muddy. does anyone know any way of getting the grass to grow back or something? oh and if anyone thinks im crazy or know that this has nothing to do with the dogs just say the word! :p

hi nisha
yes i think it is because they are stamping on it , i used to have grass and the same thing happened to me, we had to eventually put stone chips down it was that bad. :flwr:

angie :D

Nisha,
I think your question is definitely dog related. :) My yard used to have lots of grass too, but since having dogs in the past and now having Riley, the grass dies when he pees on it. Dog urine seems to have that effect on grass. And with the trampling and in my case eating the grass, there is way more dirt than grass.
So, when it rains we get a very muddy doggie! :sl*p: You are not alone and i feel for youl, but i think it's just the way things go when you have dogs. Don't ya just love it! ;)

Are you watching the dogs when they are outsoide? They may well be digging up the lawn as well.

If you want to have a lawn and dogs.... for dogs that are tearing up lawns or killing them with urine, you'll need to take the same steps you would if they were acting this way in the house:

start to train them to wee in an area you designate and take them there on a lead, and train them to a word so they know to sue this area only

keep an eye on them when they are outside so that you can redirect behaviour if they are digging to doing something else

consider creating a digging area like a sandbox just for the dogs so they can satisfy this instinct -- then redirect them there

If you have two puppies at the same time all of this is considerably more difficult -- that's one of the major challenges of taking on two at once -- they spur on unwanted behaviour and are harder to manage (because iot is hard to try and tell two at the same time to refocus).

You may need to seaparate them so that only one goes out at a time to help in training and general management.

Be sure to read thru the thread in the Library on tips for raising two puppies at once. They need a hige amount of solo time and individual training time to help avoid challenging behaviour and to keep them from bonding so closely to each other (especially with siblings) that you are always low on their totem pole and in their mind, not really necessary to obey. To get your lawn back you are almost certainly going to need to work on solo training and keeping them separate for outdoor play, except for supervised periods when you are there and managing both.

You'll need to keep them both off the lawn anyway for several weeks while you reseed; or else to lay new sod and allow it to root properly.

Also taking them out so they get lots of walks and play in other places than the garden should also tire them so they are less inclined to tear up the lawn. getting them into obedience and then practicing with them is even better as using their brains this way will tire them FAR faster than playing -- I guarantee it!! :)

I have the same problem with dying grass! My backyard is a small one (I live in a townhouse) and Chester's peepee is very potent and kills the grass in certain areas. He's managed to kill about 20% of my little lawn and I would like to re-seed next year but in order to do that I will have to keep him out of the back yard for about a month until the grass comes in.

I agree with Karlin that you could train them to go in a mulched area and that will help preserve the grass. Another thing that will help keep your yard strong is regular waterings. In my last house we had an underground sprinkler system that ran 3X a week and that kept the grass healthy and strong and more able to resist the evil dog peepee and trampling! I don't have that now but I do try and water at least 2x a week with a regular sprinkler and it has helped. The stronger and healthier your grass is to begin with the better it will be able to withstand all sorts of stress.

Good luck!

hi all. thankyou very much for all your advice. helps alot. yes Karlin i was actually considering the idea of getting a sort of sand box put in. they have 2 or 3 little holes they have dug. its not much of a problem at the moment (digging). i have been watching them and have realised that the dogs have sorted adopted thheir own little spots where they urinate so yea. ill continue watching them. i think i mite decide to cover it in concrete or something. its not really the actual backyard im worried about but more the dogs gettin dirty. anyway thankyou all,

Nisha :flwr:

Back