• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What do I need for a puppy?

I just posted the other topic, "I'm meeting my new little girl tomorrow" and some questions for all you experts out there. h*lp

What are some of the basics that I need to buy that are most practical and will be most comforting to Maisie. If you have specific brands of items as well as websites to purchase them, please do share.

Harness vs. collar? Everyone raves about the Puppie. Is that just for walks and the collar for inside. What about the name tag for safety reasons?
Bed
Fall sweater or coat
Other?

Thanks again!

Lisa

hi lisa. i have listed a website link below that tells some information on what you need for your puppy. some of the items listed are not necessary butyou mite as well look at them. im not really sure about the harness vs collar thing. identification tags are always a good idea and microchipping as well.. anyway good luck

http://www.cyberpet.com/cyberdog/articles/lexi/pupprep.htm

Congrats on your new puppy!

There have been some good discussions in the past on what to have on hand for a new dog; I'm sure others who can find those discussions will come along with some help.

At any rate, I think everyone knows I am a big believer in microchipping (like Nisha mentioned) in addition to ID tags. The first thing I would do is get an appointment with your vet for a checkup, even if she has already been checked by the breeders vet; some breeders require that. Then, if she's not already microchipped, get that done while she is getting the checkup. And be sure to tell the vet to use a little topical anesthetic; that's a BIG needle :yikes

Enjoy Maisie, this is the the best breed there is (in my VERY biased opinion :lol: ) and you are in for the time of your life!

yea most breeders should microchip their pups beforehand however if not like bruce said it is an excellent idea to get your pup microchipped for safety reasons etc.

Bruce,

You're not biased at all - well OK, maybe a teensy bit :lol: :lol: :lol: This IS the very best breed ever :lol:

OK then for a new puppy.....

When I got Maxx we had him microchipped (as Bruce says, with a topical anaesthetic) and we also put a puppy collar and tag on him - Cavaliers are wonderful escape artists!

My dog tags just state our surname, phone number and the words I AM IDENTICHIPPED. This is so that if either of them get out and are picked up by a neighbour then they can call us but also to let anyone else know that the dogs are chipped and we can be found by scanning them. This can work in two ways - reunites us with our dog via vets, police, dog warden etc & also seeks to put off dog thieves by warning them that the dog will be identified by a chip!

For walks I bought a puppy harness, very, very soft material and you altered it as the puppy grew - lasted him until he was about a year :D

Oh yeah, and a lead is useful too :lol:

Next up, a plastic bed with a soft duvet and some vet bedding (a change of bedding is useful too, in case of accidents or when the first is in the wash) & some puppy proof toys.

You'll also want a food and a water dish, I personally prefer glass, pottery or ceramic as they can go in the dishwasher :)

Good luck with your new little bundle :flwr: :l*v: :flwr:

Thanks for these great ideas-keep the coming! More questions

I love reading your suggestions---thank you again! Where is the microchip placed in the puppy's body? Is it really painful? :( How long does the pain last?

Also, everyone seems to like to Puppia. What size would be good?

Thanks again,
Lisa

It's placed up near the shoulderblades; it is about the size of a grain of rice, and it is there permanently and they can't feel it. A good time to have it done is when you have your dog neutered as they can do it easily without the dog being aware. That's when I chipped all of mine.

Oh yes, when you take her to have her chipped then please make sure to ask the vet to put it near her shoulderblades - some apparently put it right near the neck and with all the problems Cavaliers have with SM, the idea just doesn't sit right.

BTW, it was my Vet who told me about this! He always puts in the shoulderblade about 2 inches away from the spine. Still easily detected by a scanner :)

Back