• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ideas on eating slower

Jen

Any ideas on how to make them eat slower?? Both Gus and Abbey are gulpers--it takes them seconds to finish their food. We make them sit before we put the bowls down, and both of them looks so tense, like they're ready to pounce...which they do once the bowls go down on the floor. It's ridiculous, I don't think they even chew. Any ideas on how to slow this process down??

Jen said:
Any ideas on how to make them eat slower?? Both Gus and Abbey are gulpers--it takes them seconds to finish their food. We make them sit before we put the bowls down, and both of them looks so tense, like they're ready to pounce...which they do once the bowls go down on the floor. It's ridiculous, I don't think they even chew. Any ideas on how to slow this process down??

Hmmmm. I don't know what you're feeding them now, but here's what worked for me :? Start cooking yummy smelling chicken breast and white rice for them three times a day, make it nice and soft and warm so that it's really easy to eat, chew and swallow. Mmmmm. Yum. Just give them that and nothing else. then, after doing that every day for three weeks, stop doing it and start just giving them plain old kibble in their bowl. Try it, see what happens. Zack really started eating kibble slowly after that, he could make a half cup last all day.
:sl*p:

I have twin boys who have not learned the art of chewing properly yet and they are nearly 4. ( I know my fault as I have not taught them )
They seem to review a food texture and size as it enters their mouth and then decide whether they will bother to do a few rotations of the jaw, although only ever enough to get it down !

I have to feed them seperately otherwise they rush to finish to steal the others food and I find this slows them down slightly, I also use a way over size bowl so that they can not take a large mouthful at once as it creates a thinner layer.

Obviously the link and all the training suggestions would be the best idea but maybe at first till you get the training underway it may be of use.

Good luck

I think I'll try the tennis ball and see if that works. I just don't trust that one of them wouldn't inhale a rock...I can totally see it happening. :roll:

I also use a way over size bowl so that they can not take a large mouthful at once as it creates a thinner layer.

Good idea too.

Some dogs are just gulpers and with most it makes little difference I think. Leo devours kibble without chewing. Jaspar eats slowly and Lily attacks her food but chews!

That's a brilliant idea!!

I have put rubber kongs in their bowls to slow them down, they have to push it out of the way to get to the food.

Also bowls with wide bases are great, as luvzcavs says...other than the fact they get their ears in it!!j

If it's a dry day, maybe try scattering the kibble on the lawn so they have to search for it...that keeps them busy for a while too.

Or put it in a food dispensing ball or buster cube.

I also dampen about 2/3 of the food with quite hot water, and leave to soak for a while, then put the other 1/3 on top dry. That has worked for my two gulpers.

I kinda like scattering food in the yard would sound like a load of fun for them...I've done that with King when he was a pup u would scatter kibble on the floor then let him chase after then to eat it...I even do that wit some of his lil treats, I'll throw them down the hallway and watch him go runnin, grab it, come bac for more

That dish is so cool, what a great idea. Simple and smart. The video is persuasive. i bookmarked it even though i don't have a need for one. Good to know about.

That dish is a really good idea :D

Nicki, there's only one problem with scattering their food on the lawn. they'd eat it and then come in asking for their dinner as dinner is always served in a bowl :lol:

The dampening 2/3 and then ading 1/3 dry was the way i slowed Charlie down. He can now have his all dry and unbelieveably very often finished after Maxx, who is a really slow eater - well except where Burns Chews are concerned :roll: :lol:

Kingofthehouse86 said:
I kinda like scattering food in the yard would sound like a load of fun for them...I've done that with King when he was a pup u would scatter kibble on the floor then let him chase after then to eat it...I even do that wit some of his lil treats, I'll throw them down the hallway and watch him go runnin, grab it, come bac for more

Scattering food only seems to make Shiloh more anxious! She eats fast whenever there are other dogs around because she worries about them taking it from her. So when I scatter it, she eats it even faster because it's less secure! :?

I LOVE that bowl, though!! I might have to get it. Shiloh eats so fast that she sometimes regurgitates.. :x

Back