• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pulling Teeth

Linda

I took Darby to the Vet yesterday to have his Rabies shot, not our usual Vet but another good Vet that actually owns the practice.
After checking Darby out, she advised me that two of his baby teeth need to be pulled out as his Adult teeth are already coming through and the baby teeth are not the least bit loose.

I was a bit upset at this as I really did not want to put him under anesthetic until I was planning on neutrering him. I am attending the Clubs picnic this weekend I understand that my breeder will also be attending, she had mentioned to me in the past that she did want to see Darby around the age of 6 months. I need some advice I wanted to wait until he was 1 year old before neutering him, but I don't want him to go under twice unless absolutely necessary.
She advised that Darby really would not become more leggy by neutering him earlier, what age did you all neuter your babies and have any of you
encountered this problem with the baby teeth.

I took a picture of the one side for you to see, I have also emailed my breeder to see if she is still interested in looking at Darby.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, she said they are not the least bit loose and the baby teeth must of been very healthy and strong as in most cases when the Adult teeth are coming in the baby teeth are pushed out just like in humans.

Teeth.jpg

I can tell you that when Kosmo's were like that they weren't the least bit loose either. They didn't fall out until the other tooth was almost completely in!!

That being said though maybe others can give you opinions on their experiences but Kosmo was just like darby and his ended up falling out on their own.

Good luck! :flwr:

Merlin, had one tooth that we didn't think was going to come out. My vet suggested that we just kept have a wiggle at it every day - which we did - it didn't seem to do anything so we went back - "Auntie Hilary" assured us it would come out and said if it hadn't come out by the time he was 6 months she would remove it.

We kept a close eye on it and a week or two later it disappeared - we think he must of eaten it as I never found it!

I remember the Vet here had said that if they had not come out by 6 months to go see him .... as Kayla had double tooth tooo.... but eventually it came out alone the other pushes it .

First don't know why this post is so big. Sorry :?

I just received an email from my breeder, she advised that it is a big responsibility keeping a dog in tact and can also be a pain.

She wants to look at Darby, but sounds like to see how he has matured. :wggle: She will be at the picnic and she is bringing his Daddy along, so I hope to get a few shots of him with his Daddy.

If this is the case would you all wait or go ahead with the neutering and pulling the teeth.

Sara I will show you on Saturday they are not moving at all, I will start to wiggle them and see as Darby is now 5 1/2 months old.

She claimed it would affect his Adult tooth.
I would prefer to wait if I could.

I would wait a bit - I'm no vet but I'm sure it will come out - try giving him some more "chewy" toys that will move his gums more.

I personally prefer to keep Merlin entire as the fact that they still hump and such even if you neuter, its a behaviour rather than a condition.

If you are to neuter - I would think that 6 months would be a bit soon (again I'm no vet!) especially as cavvies don't mature as quickly as most people think.

I also had a couple with baby teeth that hung in until the adult teeth were totally thru. Thought those baby teeth would never let go but they did eventually. Don't remember the time line though..sorry.

I'd wait til the point when he's neutered. Give him lots of chews; they halp loosen them up.

K.

I'd wait until he's fixed as well, that's what our vet told us to do, but Gus ended up loosing all his by that point anyway. We gave Gus lots of frozen toys to help loosen up his teeth. His favorite was a rope toy that I just wet down and popped in the freezer for a bit. Ice cubes were another fav.
I should get a shot of his adult teeth, he looks hilarious--they look too big for him! :lol: We call him Mr. Chicklet now! :lol:

Jen

How old was Gus when you neutered him, I will make a trip to the pet store tonight and gets some bully sticks he has ropes but I will wet them and put them into the freezer.
I only had one bully stick left, so I gave it to Darby and poor Dudley looked at me as if to say Why is he getting it. :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

So you would all wait until a year to neuter too ?????????????

Linda said:
Jen

How old was Gus when you neutered him, I will make a trip to the pet store tonight and gets some bully sticks he has ropes but I will wet them and put them into the freezer.
I only had one bully stick left, so I gave it to Darby and poor Dudley looked at me as if to say Why is he getting it. :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

So you would all wait until a year to neuter too ?????????????

Gus was neutered at almost 5 months, I'm sure that's early for some, but it's a personal decision that only you can make. Waiting any longer would have been very difficult--all the bad behaviors were already there and he was very edgy and aggressive. He's now much calmer, easy to manage and doesn't hump anything and everything!

Jen

I neutered Dudley at around 5 months too, he was terrible for humping although he still continued it after being neutered. We just re-directed him and now he no longer humps. His primary partner was his Snuggle Puppy, never seen him hump anything else other than a toy.

Darby has humped a few times but nothing for me to be concerned about, If the general opinion is that these teeth will fall out then I think I will wait.

I will stock up on chews tonight. :D :D :D

Gizmo was notorious for humping from about 4 months on .... he loved his little red devil that we gave him ( this had to be replaced by several more imaginative cuddly toys !!) We only got Gizmo neutered at 16 months as this was to stop him humping our second little dog (who's female) .... she is just 7 months now and we got her neutered a month ago. It is a personal choice ....

Gizmo has got quieter since he was neutered but he still plays his games with his "daddy" .... My OH likes to play "chase" and gentle "WWE"!!

Lulu I'd wait a bit to neuter him, personally I think 6 months is a bit young :(

I know in the US they do seem to neuter early, but I think - esp with Cavaliers - that 1 year is preferable, 9 months at the very earliest.

If you have an unneutered bitch about then that's a different situation, but if he isn't causing any problems, then I'd leave him for now.

I do believe that they can get leggy from being neutered too young...and many breeders agree.

Keep a watch on the teeth...sorry it's so long since Rupert was a pup I don't remember the time scales :( But the advice to give him lots of chews sounds sensible.

The teeth thing one of Barney tooth came out about 2/3 weeks ago Barney as just been neuter and is 9/10 mouths old I took the advice of the vet before I had it done Aileen

linda--i wanted to wait to neuter zack until a year. I thought waiting would be more healthy. but in researching it, i wasn't able to find solid convincing evidence of that. Still...he was my baby and i wanted to be cautious. But at about 6 months, i discovered dog parks, and it was for social reasons i ended up getting him neutered at 7 months--also, having consulted on this board and listening to many opinions about the subject and being influenced by those. Zack was starting to lift his leg after being with other male leg lifting dogs at the dog park.

I want him to be a very mobile portable social dog who can go with me lots of places, and i didn't want to risk him getting into the marking thing. He also was starting to hump more than he already was before, but in his case, that definitely had a behavioral solution. I put him in time out at the dog park a couple of times when he wouldn't obey my words telling him to stop (for more than a moment) and since then, he doesn't hump anymore. He didn't like having to sit with me while the other dogs romped and played.

I did not like the experience of Zack on anaesthesia, he was looking very poorly until it wore off. I can relate to you wanting to avoid unnecessary anaesthesia with its risks and the ordeal that it is. I'm glad to hear so many people report that those stubborn teeth eventually fell out.

Compared to all the other chew toys and items, the one Zack chewed by far the hardest was bleached bones. They are hollow femurs, some have various kinds of stuffing, peanut butter, meat paste. Zack just loved the plain ones, and i think no baby teeth could've survived the strength of chewing he put into those hard bones. The loud cracking noise he made scared me and i took them away. Before giving them, i would suggest checking with the vet you have confidence in and ask if those bones could harm his permanent teeth, being as he's a small breed. Also, come to think of it, why not see if you can talk with your usual vet about the whole tooth extraction issue?

about neutering, i have been glad, in retrospect, that i had it done. There have been no apparent ill effects, the tendency to lift his leg just for the fun of it went away, on long walks he sometimes doesn't pee at all; he has not grown or gained weight since being neutered and is more active than ever if anything. So in zack's case, some of the problems that people report didn't occur.

Having said that, i still have some qualms about things like neutering, and rabies shots, and other immunizations, things that change the body in basic ways, and i tend to think postponing until they have completed their basic development seems safest when possible.

Hi Everybody

Thanks for all your advice, I truly appreciate each and everyone of you. :thnx:

You will never believe what I saw this morning in my little darlin's mouth.
That darn stubborn baby tooth that was as firm as a rock last week, is now hanging by a few threads. :w**h**: :w**h**: I can't believe it, here the Vet is telling me to book him in to have them removed as they were not loose at all and one week later one is almost out. icon_nwunsure
I will continue to give him his chews, I may have to hold it as he seems to favour the left side for chewing. :D

I have been wiggling it but was shocked when I looked in his mouth today. :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

So if the other one does the same, this boy can wait to be neutered until he is at least one year old. :D :D :D :D :D :D

I was about to take Bentley in to the vet to have his puppy teeth removed, when all of a sudden one day they both just fell right out! And they had been quite firmly in place too! I think he was around 6 or 7 months when they fell out on their own.

I don't have Bentley neutered, he was a year this past July. Due to various reasons (well, my vet sort of had me scared of the anesthesia risks and the mitral valve thing), I have decided not to neuter him. He doesn't hump, never has, yet anyway! And he is ALWAYS on a leash, not around other dogs, and I am very responsible and very careful. His personality and disposition are so gentle and loving, and, like I mentioned, he hasn't been interested in humping anything, so I have left him intact. I did hear tho, that there was a higher incidence of testicular cancer in dogs that were not neutered, does anyone know if this is true?

So glad those babies are hanging loose! Told you they would! Fingers crossed for the one on the other side!

Back