• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Wee Wee Pads and Diaper Genies??

Lani

Hi ... this might seem like a silly question ... icon_blshing

But I'll ask anyway ... I don't have a back yard & at 11 weeks the vet said Lucky's not old enough to be trained to go to the bathroom outside yet. I wondered if anyone on this site might have experience training with wee wee pads (also called piddle pads, and possibly some other names in the UK, etc. ...). We are trying to train Lucky on these pads and so far we are making steady progress.

My question is really about the clean up ... I know that lots of parents with new human babies (in the States at least) buy these "Diaper Genies" - they basically seal the baby's dirty diaper in a plastic bag and inside this contraption so that you don't have to bring the diaper outside the house/apartment every time you change the baby. Well, with a puppy, it's not really that much different in terms of the smell factor if you need to train on these pads. :yuk:

Does anyone on the board actually have young children or experience with these Diaper Genies to be able to let me know whether or not this is something that might work with the wee wee pads (instead of diapers)? I can't imagine why it would not work, but I don't have any children either. I was actually thinking over the weekend, when I thought of this that there's got to be a great market for this with city dog owners ...

I'd be interested in any thoughts you have before I pull out my credit card and run to the baby store to buy a Diaper Genie. :)

Ya know what Lani, I think you might be on to something....Im not sure of the pad would fit thru the mouth of the geenie, but if it does......Hmmmmm......

Just make sure you dont get your diamond bracelet stuck in the diaper genie, becouse my insurance agent wasnt too happy when I got mine caught without noticing...and filed a claim.....diamonds lost in the geenie.....that was fun trying to explain! The clasp got caught, and I didnt notice and out with the trash it went!

I think it just might work, and a geat idea~ :D

King is 100% fully wee-wee pad trained at home, since I can't walk him out side...what I do wit the soiled pads is just roll them up and put them in a plastic shopping bag and tie it up, then into the garbage....but the "diaper genie" sounds great....wish my mom used that when my bor and I were younger...we do have an old diaper pail, but the lid is broken so the smell would come out... :yuk: but sounds like you have a million dollar idea there!!!!

I used to live in a first floor flat when I first gor Bailey and trained him to wee on the pads. I just used to put them in a plastic bin liner and tie the top so the smell couldn't get out.

Since then we've moved to a house with a hugh garden... Bailey love's it, Took a while to get used to peeing in it though.

Hmmm. Zack uses the backyard and i pick up the poop with mutt mits and then tie them with a twister and put them in a big lined trash barrel with a sealing lid, but every time i open the lid to put a mut mitt with poop in it into the trash barrel, omigosh the smell is awful, really powerful. I wonder would a diaper genie be something i could put the poop containing mutt mit into? it's really just a small parcel. I've never heard of the diaper genie before. I'm pretty desperate for a solution to his problem.

You can order these charcoal things that you put on the lid (underside) of the bin, these work great.... not sure where I got them but will ask ma in law.

I think your vet is being extremely cautious -- I'd be training outside though not going for walks at this point. :)

Just an alternative perspective.

I agree with Karlin, you should be taking him outside in addition to using the piddle pads. He is definately old enough to start getting the idea.

We generally let our litters go around 12 weeks and at about 9 or 10 weeks they start going outside with our adult dogs. By the time they leave our house, they really are starting to get the idea. They are not housebroken by any means, but they have a very good start.

I use the wee wee pads too, they're a life saver! I'm single and work full-time, so I couldn't expect the dogs to hold it that long. When the wee wee pad is soiled, I just put it in a plastic garbage bag (they even make some that have odor control and they do work quite well!) and I tie up the end and toss it in the garbage!

Claire said:
You can order these charcoal things that you put on the lid (underside) of the bin, these work great.... not sure where I got them but will ask ma in law.

that will be great--thanks. :)

Hi Lani,

I hope you recd. my reply to your e-mail w/ some wee-wee pad suggestions.
With regard to the waste, like others, we just put them in a plastic grocery bag, tie a tight knot and toss them in the garbage bin. Seems to work just fine! ;) (I don't think I would like that diaper genie contraption in my bathroom. I think I'd rather wait till we have a baby in the house for that. icon_blshing )

Brenda

Brenda said:
Hi Lani,

I hope you recd. my reply to your e-mail w/ some wee-wee pad suggestions.
With regard to the waste, like others, we just put them in a plastic grocery bag, tie a tight knot and toss them in the garbage bin. Seems to work just fine! ;) (I don't think I would like that diaper genie contraption in my bathroom. I think I'd rather wait till we have a baby in the house for that. icon_blshing )

Brenda

I used the wee wee pads when Holly was small and only gradually withdrew them as she hit nine/ten months. I just bagged them and binned them- but then my bin is right outside my back door, so it wasn't a drama. If your bins are set up differently, you might want to by an additional ordinary bin for the kitchen- or at your back door- and then emtpy it into the proper grabage every night.

diaper genie

Hey!

Well, I'm no expert on the wee wee pads, but I am with the diaper genie!!

I have a 2 1/2 yr old son and I have always used a diaper genie to get ride of the diapers...( we are now potty training..oh Lord!?!)

my advise is this...it depends on how often and how big your pups pee and poohs are...

At first, my son peed and poohed several times a day, so we changed the genie lots as it filled up...as he got older, less pees and poops. That ment its contents stayed in the geine longer till it became full..but.. You will need to change the genie more than once a week, or the smell will STILL get out (might be a geine, but not THAT magical!LOL!)

Sounds like a neat plan though. Just remember that there are 2 types of refills for the genie. Make sure you get the one labeled for 'SOLIDS' if you deccide to go that route!

All the best!
Angela

We have Yorkies and Cavaliers and we have 2 of the diaper genies, I am really suprised that a company has not put a dog design on one and sell it to doggie parents.. LOL
They are great for using with the dogs pads so well that we did buy another one. !!! :jump:

Wow! That is great to know. I wish I knew someone who could manufacture the doggie diaper genies for us ... I'm sure there is a market for it ... !

Not sure if nice or not but we tended to scoop the poop off the wee mats when ours were young and just flush it down the toilet, save the smell, plus the wee pads here seem to lock in the wee and it never seemed to smell....

Back